Anyone who thinks we should pay Jake long 8 million a year | Page 7 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Anyone who thinks we should pay Jake long 8 million a year

I seriously need to remember the names of every poster who had something negative to say about this particular post. You know...all the 70's football comments, and flux capacitor crap.
BillyMadisonBuschemi-1.png

How to be a winning team. Build a dominant o-line and give my QB time to find his receivers and open holes for my RB. Control the clock, wear out the other teams D and keep my D rested.

Unless its executed like Coughlin & Brunnell in Jacksonville, this philosophy will come up short... much like a FB dive on 3rd & 3.

Without protecting your QB, your passing game won't happen. Your new toy won't have time to run his route. I'm not saying Jake is the answer, I am saying the o-line is key to winning football. A healthy Jake could be an important key to building that o-line. You also have to find OG's and OC's in later rounds. I don't think your want your entire o-line to be high prices first day picks or high priced FA's.

The point is, it doesn't take overpaying for a broken-down sorta-was to do that. Yeah, you don't want your QB getting sacked every play. No kidding. But people act like if you don't have a top 5 OT (at least salary-wise), you're QB is going to get killed, which is nonsense. You just need decent cornfed. That's not hard to find. And why is it okay to find OG's and OC's (which are far more important now as JCane outlined) in later rounds, but not OT's? That is simply no longer the case.

The point is, it doesn't take overpaying for a broken-down sorta-was to do that. Yeah, you don't want your QB getting sacked every play. No kidding. But people act like if you don't have a top 5 OT (at least salary-wise), you're QB is going to get killed, which is nonsense. You just need decent cornfed. That's not hard to find. And why is it okay to find OG's and OC's (which are far more important now as JCane outlined) in later rounds, but not OT's? That is simply no longer the case.

I think it's tough to find LT's in middle rounds, especially ones that can step right in. Maybe RT's can be found there. If Jake was the same Jake as his first few years, then I assume you guys would have no problem paying him what he's worth. I do get your concerns with his health, and rightfully so.

I think it's tough to find LT's in middle rounds, especially ones that can step right in. Maybe RT's can be found there. If Jake was the same Jake as his first few years, then I assume you guys would have no problem paying him what he's worth. I do get your concerns with his health, and rightfully so.

I would. I think I've been pretty clear that the position is overrated and has no business being one of the highest paid on a team. I have no problem rolling with Martin and grabbing a RT in FA or in a mid round. And RTs most definitely can be found there. Let's not start hyping up that position now.

I'd vomit uncontrollably for months.

Ironic that you'd post that on St Pat's day?

Even Ireland is not that stupid. Only the experts on the NFL network could come up with that one.
It is just another back handed comment about the organization. They will be eating crow served cold.
This team is shaping up nicely. I credit Philbin, Coyle, and Shermin with the new competency.

That would be the NFL equivalent of the Chicago Cubs... no organization (in ANY sport) does a better job of overpaying for mediocre talent.

LMAO.

Decent cornfed. Thats all you need. Capable cornfed that works well together. Thats the key.

With the rules on hitting QBs and the fact DBs arent really allowed to cover WRs these days, it takes even less time for a good QB to get the ball out. Adequate cornfed will do the job. You dont need 8mil a year cornfed. That takes away too much money you could spend on players that matter like QB, WR, TE, DB, and pass rushers. You know..... guys who make plays. TDs, turnovers, sacks, big gains....... impact plays.

I would treat cornfed similar to how I would RBs this day and age. Rounds 5-7 Id draft a RB every year and a couple of cornfed. Youre bound to hit on one or two at those positions every few years. Thats plenty to keep you stocked in RBs and cornfed at reasonable prices on the regular. Just roatate your stock of corn.

Rounds 1-4 Im drafting impact players at the positions I listed above.

Without protecting your QB, your passing game won't happen. Your new toy won't have time to run his route. I'm not saying Jake is the answer, I am saying the o-line is key to winning football. A healthy Jake could be an important key to building that o-line. You also have to find OG's and OC's in later rounds. I don't think your want your entire o-line to be high prices first day picks or high priced FA's.

You can attempt to build a $156 million bomb shelter in front of your quarterback like Miami tried to do when the Triflop first arrived and teams will still find a way to get pressure on your quarterback. There's no sense in pretending that Miami's quarterbacks weren't pressured just by sticking a $50 million Jake Long at left tackle, because it didn't happen and it's not going to happen.

I don't care what you pay Jake Long, if you line John Abraham up across from him... Jake Long is fixing to get his ass handed to him in embarrassing fashion. Just like he always does.

Miami has had more quarterbacks knocked out of games with Jake Long on the field than any team in the league has had without him.

All you need is a guy out there that's capable... that's it. The winning teams in this league aren't investing a significant portion of their cap towards the left tackle... only the perennial losers.

LMAO.

Decent cornfed. Thats all you need. Capable cornfed that works well together. Thats the key.

With the rules on hitting QBs and the fact DBs arent really allowed to cover WRs these days, it takes even less time for a good QB to get the ball out. Adequate cornfed will do the job. You dont need 8mil a year cornfed. That takes away too much money you could spend on players that matter like QB, WR, TE, DB, and pass rushers. You know..... guys who make plays. TDs, turnovers, sacks, big gains....... impact plays.

I would treat cornfed similar to how I would RBs this day and age. Rounds 5-7 Id draft a RB every year and a couple of cornfed. Youre bound to hit on one or two at those positions every few years. Thats plenty to keep you stocked in RBs and cornfed at reasonable prices on the regular. Just roatate your stock of corn.

Rounds 1-4 Im drafting impact players at the positions I listed above.

And as you create starters out of those later rounders, you can then start trading them off to teams stuck in the past for high round draft picks. A regular corn mill.

If we line up Martin at LT this team will be doomed. It won't matter all the talent we surrounded Tannehill with, if he can't stay upright or have time to deliver the ball the investments we put on offense will go to waste. You have a chance to resign a very good LT that's still relatively young for the position. DO IT!
WHO ??? Who is the very good LT you speak of. Long is a not an elite pass blocker, not top 10 at this point, and by all signs he is getting worse and more injury prone with every passing year. If he wants to talk about a 5-6 mil per year deal then we can talk, if not he needs to go. To be honest for the same money I think Volmer is a better fit, and Winston is just about the same with less injuries. If TS was still the coach Long would be the perfect fit, but with the zbs we need smaller Ts. Long is not a great pass blocker and that is just a fact.

Back
Top Bottom