Anyone who thinks we should pay Jake long 8 million a year | Page 5 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Anyone who thinks we should pay Jake long 8 million a year

Great formula in the 1970s.

Tom Brady hasnt been to the big one lately because of this very thing. And people screaming for Vollmer dont know how much he gets injured and is not all that. at least, in a 1st round pick aspect. thats why he is still on the market. Cus BB knows.

The OP makes a good point, but by the same token, about the time someone like Aldon Smith wins a game against you because you simply can't contain him, you'll wish you were paying your LT better. Sacks and pressures (and the INTs they can lead to) are drive-stoppers and game winners.

In other words, don't pay your LT too much, but also don't have a scrub over there.

That's the issue here. People seem to think that if you don't have Long (who is no longer elite, but nevermind that fact), then the only other possible option is Colombo. Always the extremes. You need a decent cornfed over there that can do his job without being the highest paid player on the team, or even in the top 5.

Tom Brady hasnt been to the big one lately because of this very thing. And people screaming for Vollmer dont know how much he gets injured and is not all that. at least, in a 1st round pick aspect. thats why he is still on the market. Cus BB knows.

You mean since the year before last (2011)? You know, the year before he took them to the AFC championship for the 7th time in 12 years? :lol:

So you wouldnt have signed gibson or wheeler and instead signed dumerville, even though at the time we signed the other two, dumerville wasnt even available??? Thats brilliant...

Ppl who dont want to resign long had better not be.the same people crying when we draft another OL in round one this year cuz that is what insee happening.

bingo. finheaven predictability of judging Ireland after the fact before they had to deal with facts.

---------- Post added at 03:11 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:10 PM ----------

That's the issue here. People seem to think that if you don't have Long (who is no longer elite, but nevermind that fact), then the only other possible option is Colombo. Always the extremes. You need a decent cornfed over there that can do his job without being the highest paid player on the team, or even in the top 5.

Who is Elite gonzo? Please tell me Joe Thomas at 12 mil +

You mean since the year before last (2011)? You know, the year before he took them to the AFC championship for the 7th time in 12 years? :lol:

he is still on the market while BB wants other players and he has only 4 picks in the draft with one as a 7th rounder. So yes, actions speak louder than words, things change, as they have for Long, and the market changes. Everyone in the LT market is waiting for Long to sign so they can move on to others contracts, which will likely be trying to get 1 mil lower. so you can live in the past all you want, what we are dealing with now is the here and now. Its time to make a decision.

You get Long, you no longer have to look at a T in this draft until late and Garner is still going to sign with us if he gets no looks until later this year.

I agree with the original OP, but I would hope that Jake Long realizes that it is impossible to pay him 11 million. He was lucky being the #1 pick.
He has made over 50M dollars so far. He needs to come down to earth if he hasn't already. Time to either play for the pay rate he deserves with Miami or another team or just call it a career.
If Ireland can sign him for 7-8 million(which in the current situation is a generous offer) get it done and get to work on signing Dumervil.
And another thing, his wife should take a back seat in these negotiations. She is making this more difficult by filling his head with garbage.

If we jump to conclusions based on that evidence, we should avoid a good LT at all costs, because teams with good LTs don't make the playoffs. Unless... it's a small sample size! Could that be it?

I've got another idea. How about, we get a guy who can protect Tanny's blindside, seeing as in this day and age the name of the game is passing. Wait, wasn't that guy Jake Long pretty good at it except for last year? 7-8m sounds like a fair price.

If we jump to conclusions based on that evidence, we should avoid a good LT at all costs, because teams with good LTs don't make the playoffs. Unless... it's a small sample size! Could that be it?

I've got another idea. How about, we get a guy who can protect Tanny's blindside, seeing as in this day and age the name of the game is passing. Wait, wasn't that guy Jake Long pretty good at it except for last year? 7-8m sounds like a fair price.

as a pass blocker Jake was fine last year. Struggles more with run blocking

bingo. finheaven predictability of judging Ireland after the fact before they had to deal with facts.

---------- Post added at 03:11 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:10 PM ----------

Who is Elite gonzo? Please tell me Joe Thomas at 12 mil +
Joe Thomas is elite, but most certainly not worth $12 million. A great example of a ****ty team with its priorities completely outta whack. Luckily, it doesn't appear that we fall under that category any longer. Long couldn't hold his jock strap (he might tear a muscle).

I think you pay him that. If he gets a clean bill of health he is the best of the group out there.

he is still on the market while BB wants other players and he has only 4 picks in the draft with one as a 7th rounder. So yes, actions speak louder than words, things change, as they have for Long, and the market changes. Everyone in the LT market is waiting for Long to sign so they can move on to others contracts, which will likely be trying to get 1 mil lower. so you can live in the past all you want, what we are dealing with now is the here and now. Its time to make a decision.

You get Long, you no longer have to look at a T in this draft until late and Garner is still going to sign with us if he gets no looks until later this year.

Living in the past? It wasn't even a year ago! They played in the AFC Championship 2 months ago. :lol:

Of course he's still on the market. When is the last time BB has overpaid for a lineman (or any position for that matter)?

And if you get Long, you damn well better consider drafting a T somewhere in the draft, because his days are numbered. I'd be shocked if he ever finishes an entire season again. And if you do let him be overpaid by some other chump team, you don't need to replace him with a high round pick. Sure, if Johnson is the BPA at that spot, I could see it, but you don't reach just because you have a need in an overrated position.

That being said, I'd take a 1st round LT over Long any day of the week. Younger, cheaper, and not wasting away. No question. Thanks to the new rookie contract rules, there is no reason for an LT to be the highest paid player on your team ever again, unless you are a ****ty team (like us after we drafted Long).

My impression was that he struggled in pass protection more than he used to. But just like it's risky to give a vet a big contract based on one good year, it's not a bad idea to give a big contract to a player coming off one so-so year.

As for the whole who-to-pay-thing, pay good players and spread it around. It doesn't matter if you pay big to a T and have a bargain play well at QB or the other way around, as long as the quality is there. Did you guys know teams like Seattle, Miami and Indy have bargains at QB so they can afford to throw more money around than other teams? Fact.

Sign Long.

Back
Top Bottom