Anyone who thinks we should pay Jake long 8 million a year | Page 6 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Anyone who thinks we should pay Jake long 8 million a year

What scares me is what they suggested on NFL Network, that it makes sense for us to draft a tackle in the first but we'd probably have to trade up to get one of the 3 best ones. How sick would it be if we use all 5 of our picks in the first 3 rounds on 2 players, a tackle and a running back?

What scares me is what they suggested on NFL Network, that it makes sense for us to draft a tackle in the first but we'd probably have to trade up to get one of the 3 best ones. How sick would it be if we use all 5 of our picks in the first 3 rounds on 2 players, a tackle and a running back?

I'd vomit uncontrollably for months.

or even 7 or even 6 million

please check the link...

http://theredzone.org/salaryshowposition.aspx?Position=OL

Next peice of evidence
Tackles
1. Jake Long, Dolphins – $11,200,000
2. Trent Williams, Redskins – $11,000,000 - Wildcard Lost
3. Joe Thomas, Browns – $10,500,000
4. Jason Smith, Rams – $10,000,000
5. Jordan Gross, Panthers – $9,500,000
6. Jason Peters, Eagles – $8,250,000
7. Michael Roos, Titans – $7,300,000
8. Andre Smith, Bengals – $6,508,000 - Wildcard Lost
9. David Stewart, Titans – $6,200,000
10. Donald Penn, Buccaneers – $5,900,000

Notice anything? Top 10 paid OTs and only 2 teams made it to the playoffs and they lost their 1st game. Also notice that the other 8 teams SUCKED...Why? because they were paying one man that didnt score TDs more money than the people that did score TDs...

Its time to move on from Jake long...we have a Left tackle that will get stronger and plays zone better than Jake...draft a right tackle in the 2nd and be done with it...

There have been a lot of teams over the years with great left tackles that have gone nowhere. Interesting find...

Even Ireland is not that stupid. Only the experts on the NFL network could come up with that one.
It is just another back handed comment about the organization. They will be eating crow served cold.
This team is shaping up nicely. I credit Philbin, Coyle, and Shermin with the new competency.

My impression was that he struggled in pass protection more than he used to. But just like it's risky to give a vet a big contract based on one good year, it's not a bad idea to give a big contract to a player coming off one so-so year.

As for the whole who-to-pay-thing, pay good players and spread it around. It doesn't matter if you pay big to a T and have a bargain play well at QB or the other way around, as long as the quality is there. Did you guys know teams like Seattle, Miami and Indy have bargains at QB so they can afford to throw more money around than other teams? Fact.

Sign Long.
Not sure why so many people seem to forget that he played poorly in 2011 as well. Not to mention mounting wear-and-tear injuries. If he were playing for any other team and Miami was thinking of signing him, I highly doubt we'd see this much support for paying him a ton.

There have been a lot of teams over the years with great left tackles that have gone nowhere. Interesting find...

Yes, and there have been a lot of teams over the years with great RBs, CBs, LBs, DL and just about anything but QB that have gone nowhere over the years. Remember Walter Payton? How about Steve Largent? Wait a sec. Did I say except QB? Even Dan Marino could only go so far with those lousy Dolphin teams. So no, a tackle isn't going to carry the team, but to argue that they don't bring a ton of value is just wrong.

I am sick of Long, let him, his giant ego, and giant asking price go already. I mean our points, sacks, and wins really spiraled down the last four games when he was injured again. It set us back four years taking him instead of Ryan.

Living in the past? It wasn't even a year ago! They played in the AFC Championship 2 months ago. :lol:

Of course he's still on the market. When is the last time BB has overpaid for a lineman (or any position for that matter)?

And if you get Long, you damn well better consider drafting a T somewhere in the draft, because his days are numbered. I'd be shocked if he ever finishes an entire season again. And if you do let him be overpaid by some other chump team, you don't need to replace him with a high round pick. Sure, if Johnson is the BPA at that spot, I could see it, but you don't reach just because you have a need in an overrated position.

That being said, I'd take a 1st round LT over Long any day of the week. Younger, cheaper, and not wasting away. No question. Thanks to the new rookie contract rules, there is no reason for an LT to be the highest paid player on your team ever again, unless you are a ****ty team (like us after we drafted Long).
So you're saying we should emulate the most successful team in all pro sports of the last 20 years? I'm up for that. Why no one else gets that is hard to understand.

BB doesn't overpay for anyone. He takes no name RBs and they run on people and catch on people. ausante Samuels becomes "elite" and he's gone. Moss catches more tds in a year than anyone ever, a few bad games and gone. The team is Important not any individual player. The day Tom Brady loses him games he'll be gone. Philbin so far understands that. We shall see

How to be a winning team. Build a dominant o-line and give my QB time to find his receivers and open holes for my RB. Control the clock, wear out the other teams D and keep my D rested.

Played out strategy.

The game has passed you by, my friend. It's ok.

It's all about the passing game in today's NFL. Left tackles are becoming less and less important and the center now has more value than the left tackle as plays are designed to be very quick release.

How to be a winning team. Build a dominant o-line and give my QB time to find his receivers and open holes for my RB. Control the clock, wear out the other teams D and keep my D rested.
I seriously need to remember the names of every poster who had something negative to say about this particular post. You know...all the 70's football comments, and flux capacitor crap.

Played out strategy.

It's all about the passing game in today's NFL. Left tackles are becoming less and less important and the center now has more value than the left tackle as plays are designed to be very quick release.
Well we got to hope Tannehill get's better inside the pocket and not going to shotgun every snap. That and our best receiver is Wallace who ain't that good on the short routes and likes to go deep or got someone like wes welker.

If we line up Martin at LT this team will be doomed. It won't matter all the talent we surrounded Tannehill with, if he can't stay upright or have time to deliver the ball the investments we put on offense will go to waste. You have a chance to resign a very good LT that's still relatively young for the position. DO IT!

Played out strategy.

Without protecting your QB, your passing game won't happen. Your new toy won't have time to run his route. I'm not saying Jake is the answer, I am saying the o-line is key to winning football. A healthy Jake could be an important key to building that o-line. You also have to find OG's and OC's in later rounds. I don't think your want your entire o-line to be high prices first day picks or high priced FA's.

Back
Top Bottom