AP source: Dolphins owner mulling possible shakeup | Page 6 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

AP source: Dolphins owner mulling possible shakeup

If your QB isn't good enough to adapt to a new system then he's not good enough.

You don't stop yourself from getting a new, better coaching staff just cause you're worried it'll affect your young QB. In my opinion.

yeah, I wouldnt put money in Vegas on that for success.

it would be one thing if he a 5 year vet in Drew Brees but he is not. Year 3 is critical.

If you keep Phiblin (for better or worse) then elevating Brian Gaine makes sense. At least there would be organizational continuity. If you brought in a GM from outside the organization and foisted Philbin on him, that would be tying the hands behind the new GM's back and would not be a good idea.

It sounds like you're saying Philbin deserves the opportunity to coach the perfectly-built team. New offensive line, a new running back, more help in the secondary, etc. etc. etc. Realistically, coaches don't have the opportunity to coach the perfect team. Coaches are supposed to gameplan around weaknesses, not to expose the team's weaknesses. No team is perfect. The Seattle Seahawks don't have a great WR corps. They still score points. Rex Ryan made it to the AFC Championship twice with Mark Sanchez at QB. Green Bay had some terrible, terrible offensive line play in recent years. They've still made the playoffs and contended. The 49ers WRs have left a lot to be desired over the past few seasons. Hasn't stopped them from winning. No need to even get into the weaknesses that Belichick has overcome recently. The Broncos defense was pretty weak most of this season. I could go on and on. Good coaches find ways to hide their weaknesses or overcome them. They don't get to continue in mediocrity until someone builds an unbeatable roster for them.

Said nothing about the "perfect team" was just pointing out that we have SEVERAL pretty bad deficiencies whether its in the secondary,our backs and ESPECIALLY the offensive line ! With SO MANY problems,Ireland needs to ACTUALLY F'ing fix something for once instead of letting good players go,and swapping linebackers !

Again, you all keep blaming Philbin for a sorry GM who has been here for YEARS and AT BEST we continue to go SIDEWAYS,like the linebacker swaps,maybe a little better,but basically a sideway swap ! IRELAND has had time,PLENTY of time to get this offensive line fixed,which again,going back to my original comments in here,has been the main problem for AT LEAST 4 years,I bitched about it then,and Im still Bitching about it ! Get some real lineman,and we might actually have a descent running game,might actually have time for the QB to look the field over and complete a dam pass !

But its always,Fire the Coach ! So what,Philbins a hard ass,so was Shula ! So he stays even keel,so what,I think thats a good thing ! Put the blame WHERE IT NEEDS TO GO,and thats on the GM for CONTINUALLY making LATERAL MOVES and making dum decisions like letting top players through the years like Welker,Bush and all the rest go, and still after ALL these years having an OFFENSIVE LINE that I dont think could block a GIRL SCOUT TROOP and get a running back through there cookie line !

Said nothing about the "perfect team" was just pointing out that we have SEVERAL pretty bad deficiencies whether its in the secondary,our backs and ESPECIALLY the offensive line ! With SO MANY problems,Ireland needs to ACTUALLY F'ing fix something for once instead of letting good players go,and swapping linebackers !

Again, you all keep blaming Philbin for a sorry GM who has been here for YEARS and AT BEST we continue to go SIDEWAYS,like the linebacker swaps,maybe a little better,but basically a sideway swap ! IRELAND has had time,PLENTY of time to get this offensive line fixed,which again,going back to my original comments in here,has been the main problem for AT LEAST 4 years,I bitched about it then,and Im still Bitching about it ! Get some real lineman,and we might actually have a descent running game,might actually have time for the QB to look the field over and complete a dam pass !

But its always,Fire the Coach ! So what,Philbins a hard ass,so was Shula ! So he stays even keel,so what,I think thats a good thing ! Put the blame WHERE IT NEEDS TO GO,and thats on the GM for CONTINUALLY making LATERAL MOVES and making dum decisions like letting top players through the years like Welker,Bush and all the rest go, and still after ALL these years having an OFFENSIVE LINE that I dont think could block a GIRL SCOUT TROOP and get a running back through there cookie line !

The problem that I have with this version of events is that you act as if Philbin is not a participant in building this roster. Philbin had every opportunity to go to Ireland and tell him he needed this offensive lineman or that offensive lineman this offseason. He had every opportunity to say he didn't want to draft Dion Jordan and would have preferred a tackle in the draft. He had every chance to say he didn't agree with cutting Dansby and Burnett and signing Wheeler and Ellerbe. You can't plausibly argue that Jeff Ireland went against Joe Philbin on every decision. There is just no way that happened. Do you think Ireland let Reggie Bush walk without Philbin agreeing with the decision? You don't think Philbin had a hand in trading Vontae Davis and Brandon Marshall?

Where there's smoke theres fire and there are multiple reports of Tannebaum and Mangini. If this were to happen not quiet sure how to feel

Using talking points doesn't make him not a leader of men. It makes him very organized and sure of what hr wants to say. He has no problem speaking without them but likes to have them if need be.

People on TV use cue cards. Obama uses a teleprompter (even though he shouldn't need to). Hell...anyone giving a speech used notes or cues of some sort (whether it is PowerPoint, images or videos).

There is nothing wrong with using notes or talking points.

Where there's smoke theres fire and there are multiple reports of Tannebaum and Mangini. If this were to happen not quiet sure how to feel

The reports we have been discussing are using their names in executive roles or GM roles. No where have I seen Mangini mentioned in the role of HC.

Here's what I think Ross should do: fire Ireland and give Philbin total control over football decisions. No extra GM who's going to interfere. Fire the OC Sherman, OL coach Turner, QB coach Taylor and special teams coordinator Rizzi.

For OC, if Scott Linehan becomes available you give him all the money he wants to come down to South Florida for a 2nd stint. Heck, he made Gus Frerotte a good QB, imagine what he could do with Ryan Tannehill.

If 2014 isn't going to be a success we have to start over anyway, so let's give it a try with Philbin as head coach/GM. It can't get any worse than this season.

Here's what I think Ross should do: fire Ireland and give Philbin total control over football decisions. No extra GM who's going to interfere. Fire the OC Sherman, OL coach Turner, QB coach Taylor and special teams coordinator Rizzi. For OC, if Scott Linehan becomes available you give him all the money he wants to come down to South Florida for a 2nd stint. Heck, he made Gus Frerotte a good QB, imagine what he could do with Ryan Tannehill. If 2014 isn't going to be a success we have to start over anyway, so let's give it a try with Philbin as head coach/GM. It can't get any worse than this season.
Sorry, just read that Linehan was fired together with Schwartz two days ago. If Ross wants to build a championship team, he should go get him right now to replace Sherman.

Oh wow....Ross should RUN to Scott Linehan

I have to say this.
Motivation is for 3yr-olds and lousy actors. Belief and conviction and trust is what motivates athletes. They believe that if they follow the steps laid out for them by their coaches that they will be successful and will be rewarded for their efforts.
Dolphins coaches, FO and ownership has given Dolphins players nothing they can trust or believe in. They don't trust the plan, the teaching of the plan, and they don't believe they will be rewarded or even treated with respect. That was on display back in training camp 2012.
Ross is ultimately the architect of his own doom if he can't see that his GM and coaches inspire no trust and belief from his players.

When does Philbin write his notes for the cue-card speech? Does he go into his office as soon as the game is over? or is he taking notes during the game?

Back
Top Bottom