Are Dolphins going after Evan Mathis? | Page 12 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Are Dolphins going after Evan Mathis?

So let's run with this theory that Tanny is in charge of Free Agency and Hickey is in charge of the draft.

Theoretically, Tanny can trade away all of our draft picks during Free Agency and sidesteps Hickey all together.

I ponder if Hickey will be used for this draft then let go?

We finally get a potentially good/great GM and then we let Ross apply his organizational skills to the problem.

No matter how you look at it, Hickey won't be here much longer. He'll either be let go or walk.

It just amazes me that we can't land a halfway decent o-linemen in the early rounds and some people don't wanta give up a 4th or 5th rounder for a proven vet. You guys really think we can land someone better? Haha please tell me why.
Some people just over value draft picks ... And with our recent success with late to mid picks itd be dumb not to trade for mathis

Totally agree, who thinks the Dolphins have ability to fill a starting guard position in draft with anything other than first round pick? Totally on board with the trade..... Particularly when we haven't seen any ability by worthless Joe philbin in developing lineman!

I'm willing to take my chances with Hickey. If Ireland was still in charge I'd say trade the picks...he won't do anything with them anyway. Let's give Hickey a chance to do his job.

I'm all for it. But it seems the Tannenbaum is the camel that managed to get into the tent. Ross has managed to screw up a great/good GM situation for us.

As a reference point for Mathis, Two time pro bowler Ben Grubbs just got traded from the Saints to the Chiefs for a 5th round pick. Grubbs is a year younger than Mathis and has a cap hit of $6.6M this year.

Some people just over value draft picks ... And with our recent success with late to mid picks itd be dumb not to trade for mathis

And some people don't value draft picks enough and signing a 33 year old OG who has a cap hit about $5.5 million would leave us with about $2 million in cap space and not enough to sign our rookie class without more cuts or restructures. Meaning free agency is over and we'd only have 4 CBs (2 coming off injury), 1 starting safety in Reshad Jones, no depth on the O-line, 4 WRs, 2 RBs, no backup QB and 5 linebackers when you need at least 7. Try filling all of those in the draft...oh and make sure you don't miss cause you only have 6 picks now.

And some people don't value draft picks enough and signing a 33 year old OG who has a cap hit about $5.5 million would leave us with about $2 million in cap space and not enough to sign our rookie class without more cuts or restructures. Meaning free agency is over and we'd only have 4 CBs (2 coming off injury), 1 starting safety in Reshad Jones, no depth on the O-line, 4 WRs, 2 RBs, no backup QB and 5 linebackers when you need at least 7. Try filling all of those in the draft...oh and make sure you don't miss cause you only have 6 picks now.
Tell me he won't make more of an impact that our 5th round draft pick. Considering we signed college and smith last year combining for over 5mill. We could have Mathis for that. I'd take 1really good guard over a couple bad ones

Mark Craig ‏@markcraignfl
Source says #Vikings didn't reach out to Mathis, but agent probably reached out. Also, this team doesn't part with picks for 33-year-olds.

If Clay gets signed long term or leaves and we get Cameron, there is a savings on either scenario. Wallace said he'd be willing to restructure and if Ellerbe doesn't restructure he's gone. Our rookie class is well under what our cap if we do those moves. Which have all been reported.

Tell me how you plan to fill ALL those holes with the ~5.5 mil we'd be giving Mathis, added to our cap space now.

11043037_1611624242389907_7384585817959855839_n.jpg

The fact that Lacanfora reported this means we wont get him.

If Clay gets signed long term or leaves and we get Cameron, there is a savings on either scenario. Wallace said he'd be willing to restructure and if Ellerbe doesn't restructure he's gone. Our rookie class is well under what our cap if we do those moves. Which have all been reported.

Tell me how you plan to fill ALL those holes with the ~5.5 mil we'd be giving Mathis, added to our cap space now.

Clay long term would lower that $7.1 million cap number we have right now. Last I read we're at about $7.5 million in cap space...Barry Jackson reported today we need about $4 million to sign the rookie class so we really only have $3.5 million to spend not counting any saving from the Clay situation, Wallace/Ellerbe restructures. And we still need some cap space to sign veterans during the season after someone gets injured. Would also be nice to have some carry over for next year since Suh's contract balloons up to almost $30 million.

Back
Top Bottom