Are the Dolphins shopping Jake Long? | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Are the Dolphins shopping Jake Long?

I say trade him for a 1st and 3rd, and find a LT who is more suited for the ZBS. I have read many reports stating Long is too big and slow for this blocking scheme and it wouldnt be wise to re-sign him considering the amount of money he will demand. Sucks because he has been our best player and a leader but its a business. If we can find a good LT and sign 2 more players instead of keeping Long, then why not?

Of course other teams want Long. He could be a future hall of famer.

I would quite like Rodgers from the Packers. Doesn't mean anything will happen. This forum may have oddballs who want rid of Long but he wont go. Letting a player like Long go would be the biggest mistake the Dolphins have made in a decade.

---------- Post added at 11:53 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:52 AM ----------

:lol: standard finheaven logic
Letting Jake Long go would hardly be the biggest mistake of the last decade. Passing on Drew Brees twice and Aaron Rogers are neck and neck. Letting an overpaid LT go isn't even top 10.

Yes, lets resign him for 12-15 million dollars a year and let all our other core free agents walk because we can't afford them. That sounds equally as logical.

We have like 60m in cap space next year... learn2math

On the surface, I say no way we should trade Long. LTs are hard to find in this league and they are super important. How important in the WCO offense we run? I'm not so sure.. I'm no football coach but from what I've gathered, running a WCO you are using a more fineness blocking scheme rather than a zone/power blocking scheme which I think Long excels at. If the Coaching staff feels they can replace Jake Long with someone lighter/more agile that fits the system better then I've got no qualms with that.

But, if he's fine in our system and we are taking a risk in trying to replace him just due to money, then I may be a little upset as Jake is one of the top talents on our team, and It's hard to see anyone with his talent walk.

To the people saying trade him during the season for a 1st ( or any draft picks for that matter ) few words: You are crazy..

Ya lets blow up our OLine mid season, see where that gets us...

We would lose other players due to keeping Long? What a strange post.
Why is that strange? You do know that NFL teams run on a fixed salary cap and we have roughly 17 free agents next year from our own squad and about 25 free agents coming up over the next two seasons? Upcoming free agents that are key players like Jake Long, Randy Starks, Brian Hartline, Sean Smith, Reggie Bush, Chris Clemons, Tony McDaniels, Brandon Fields, Anthony Fasano, Nate Garner, Pat Devlin and Matt Moore and in 2014 it will be Paul Soliai, Koa Misi, Richie Incognito, Davone Bess, Dan Carpenter, John Denney, John Jerry, Nolan Carroll and Reshad Jones. Not to mention that Dansby's cap hit balloons to $13 million in 2014...so thinking long term re-signing Long to a huge contract that he's not worth could strap this team in it's efforts to keep its own talent as well as get new talent.

LTs are not nearly as important as people seem to think, which appears to be based entirely on **** like "The Blind Side" and ESPN rhetoric.

We do not have 60 million in cap space. We have 51 million. We also have A PLETHORA or players that we absolutely must resign. That 50 million disappears pretty damn quick if you're dumping 12-14 million dollars per year on Jake Long, a guy who is flat out not worth that top tier money. He has injury history, his play is up and down, and he's simply skating by on reputation at times. Miami makes a sincere effort - 10 million a year. If he says NO, then that's on him, not us. Our team can't afford it, and the players have to understand.

Why is that strange? You do know that NFL teams run on a fixed salary cap and we have roughly 17 free agents next year from our own squad and about 25 free agents coming up over the next two seasons? Upcoming free agents that are key players like Jake Long, Randy Starks, Brian Hartline, Sean Smith, Reggie Bush, Chris Clemons, Tony McDaniels, Brandon Fields, Anthony Fasano, Nate Garner, Pat Devlin and Matt Moore and in 2014 it will be Paul Soliai, Koa Misi, Richie Incognito, Davone Bess, Dan Carpenter, John Denney, John Jerry, Nolan Carroll and Reshad Jones. Not to mention that Dansby's cap hit balloons to $13 million in 2014...so thinking long term re-signing Long to a huge contract that he's not worth could strap this team in it's efforts to keep its own talent as well as get new talent.

This is dishonest though. Moore is not being resigned, nor is Tony McDaniels. You're listing complete replacement level guys that have ballooned veteran contracts.

Starks, Hartline, Smith, Bush, Fasano. These are all names we have to resign. Even "good" LT play at a bargain is much better for this team.

Or would be as good and cost roughly 20% of what we're going to play Long, which would then allow us to actually get 2 or 3 quality free agents and re-sign all of our core free agents.

Thats a longshot and you know it. Look at all the left tackles taken on the first day over the past few years. 50% are busts. Our goal is to aquire talent, not cap space. If we can afford it, which we clearly can, there is no reason not to re-sign Long - even if we overpay.

Letting Jake Long go would hardly be the biggest mistake of the last decade. Passing on Drew Brees twice and Aaron Rogers are neck and neck. Letting an overpaid LT go isn't even top 10.

So because passing on Drew Brees 7 years ago makes it ok to trade Jake Long? Passing on Aaron Rogers, like alomst every other NFl did, makes it ok to trade Jake Long? Thats the kind of logic you find on fan boards.

Thats a longshot and you know it. Look at all the left tackles taken on the first day over the past few years. 50% are busts. Our goal is to aquire talent, not cap space. If we can afford it, which we clearly can, there is no reason not to re-sign Long - even is we overpay.
So re-sign him just to re-sign him? His replacement is already on the team and Long's production is far below what he is being paid. Losing Jake Long wont set this team back.

---------- Post added at 07:16 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:15 PM ----------

So because passing on Drew Brees 7 years ago makes it ok to trade Jake Long? Passing on Aaron Rogers, like alomst every other NFl did, makes it ok to trade Jake Long? Thats the kind of logic you find on fan boards.
What? Where did I say that? How in the world do you draw that conclusion?

We have like 60m in cap space next year... learn2math

On the surface, I say no way we should trade Long. LTs are hard to find in this league and they are super important. How important in the WCO offense we run? I'm not so sure.. I'm no football coach but from what I've gathered, running a WCO you are using a more fineness blocking scheme rather than a zone/power blocking scheme which I think Long excels at. If the Coaching staff feels they can replace Jake Long with someone lighter/more agile that fits the system better then I've got no qualms with that.

But, if he's fine in our system and we are taking a risk in trying to replace him just due to money, then I may be a little upset as Jake is one of the top talents on our team, and It's hard to see anyone with his talent walk.

To the people saying trade him during the season for a 1st ( or any draft picks for that matter ) few words: You are crazy..

Ya lets blow up our OLine mid season, see where that gets us...

When you have 17 free agents, that's not very much. You also have to take into account more than half of them are must-resigns. JL will command nearly 15 million a season. That's more than some O-lines combined. Add that to how he is playing, and you say he is worth it?

No good sir, you need to lrn2math. Look and see how much each player will command in free agency besides JL, and than see our FA next season, and tell me signing JL to such a Lucretius contract is worth it.

Why is that strange? You do know that NFL teams run on a fixed salary cap and we have roughly 17 free agents next year from our own squad and about 25 free agents coming up over the next two seasons? Upcoming free agents that are currently starters like Jake Long, Randy Starks, Brian Hartline, Sean Smith, Reggie Bush, Chris Clemons, Tony McDaniels, Brandon Fields, Anthony Fasano, Nate Garner, Pat Devlin and Matt Moore and in 2014 it will be Paul Soliai, Koa Misi, Richie Incognito, Davone Bess, Dan Carpenter, John Denney, John Jerry, Nolan Carroll and Reshad Jones. Not to mention that Dansby's cap hit balloons to $13 million in 2014...so thinking long term re-signing Long to a huge contract that he's not worth could strap this team in it's efforts to keep its own talent as well as get new talent.

Not sure why all of you are trying to be GMs, like you actually know the figures and how much a Jake Long contract would even affect us. Or even how much he would want for his contract. Maybe he wants to stay in Miami? Maybe his play this year will lower his contract demands?

It's actually kind of disheartening to see so many, so quick, wanting to get rid of one of our few proven veterans. Who has worked his ass off for this team. Quit trying to play GM.. That's what fantasy football is for.

"He's not worth that much" Oh we have Pro Scouts here also..

Jake Long is the type of guy we should be building our franchise upon. Tough, smart, talented, plays through injury and inspires others around him to better performances. Ive said it previously but he reminds me of Zach Thomas.

I know one thing, if he was a Raven or Steeler, there is no way he would be allowed to leave franchise.

Thats a longshot and you know it. Look at all the left tackles taken on the first day over the past few years. 50% are busts. Our goal is to aquire talent, not cap space. If we can afford it, which we clearly can, there is no reason not to re-sign Long - even if we overpay.

This is a terrible thought. We CLEARLY can afford it? I don't think so. You're talking about dedicating over 10% of our entire cap space (and over 30% of our remaining space net year) to A SINGLE PLAYER who you admittedly would be overpaid. Come on now.

17??? Miami has 6 FAs worth re-signing. People exaggerate sometimes...smh.

When you have 17 free agents, that's not very much. You also have to take into account more than half of them are must-resigns. JL will command nearly 15 million a season. That's more than some O-lines combined. Add that to how he is playing, and you say he is worth it?

No good sir, you need to lrn2math. Look and see how much each player will command in free agency besides JL, and than see our FA next season, and tell me signing JL to such a Lucretius contract is worth it.

You actually have no idea how much Jakes contract will command. The Player and the team haven't even started contract discussions.

So who's going to replace Long? We just going to pick someone up in the draft? You're kidding yourself if you think we are going to be lucky enough to find a replacement, let alone in the later rounds, cause we all know if this team used another high pick on another OLineman all hell would break loose.

---------- Post added at 10:22 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:21 AM ----------

Jake Long is the type of guy we should be building our franchise upon. Tough, smart, talented, plays through injury and inspires others around him to better performances. Ive said it previously but he reminds me of Zach Thomas.

I know one thing, if he was a Raven or Steeler, there is no way he would be allowed to leave franchise.

Well said..

Back
Top Bottom