Are the Dolphins shopping Jake Long? | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Are the Dolphins shopping Jake Long?

This is a terrible thought. We CLEARLY can afford it? I don't think so. You're talking about dedicating over 10% of our entire cap space (and over 30% of our remaining space net year) to A SINGLE PLAYER who you admittedly would be overpaid. Come on now.

Dont be lazy - do the math. We can afford it. And your numbers are exaggerated. 10% of our cap space would be $13 million next year, and even the next highest paid LT in the league isnt making that. And thats also not 30% of our available cap space next year. Seriously, do the math before you make up numbers.

Bush, Long, Smith, and Starks the "must re-signs". Fasano, Hartline, McDaniels, and Clemons can be easily replaced. And Clemons is restricted, so he won't be hard to keep as a backup imo. And we have $52mil of cap space to do all that and some.

So re-sign him just to re-sign him? His replacement is already on the team and Long's production is far below what he is being paid. Losing Jake Long wont set this team back.

Re-sign him just to re-sign him? No. Re-sign him because he's the best LT we can get. Re-sign him because we wont have to wast a draft pick replacing him. Re-sign him because he's a leader and has high character.

I honestly cant beleive anyone is even considering letting our best OL go because you would rather overpay another FA to play tackle, or waste another pick on an OL.

I believe replacing Fasano would be more difficult than you think. We've been trying, unsuccessfully, for a few years now. The guy may not be elite in any particular part of his game but he is arguably one of the best all around players at his position.

Re-sign him just to re-sign him? No. Re-sign him because he's the best LT we can get. Re-sign him because we wont have to wast a draft pick replacing him. Re-sign him because he's a leader and has high character.

I honestly cant beleive anyone is even considering letting our best OL go because you would rather overpay another FA to play tackle, or waste another pick on an OL.
He is not even our best OL. Again, his replacement is already on the team.

Seriously, have you noticed the drop off in his game?

Dont be lazy - do the math. We can afford it. And your numbers are exaggerated. 10% of our cap space would be $13 million next year, and even the next highest paid LT in the league isnt making that. And thats also not 30% of our available cap space next year. Seriously, do the math before you make up numbers.

So you can tell the future then? What contract is Jake Long being given, since you clearly have those numbers available?

Also, before you go on about other people "making up numbers" maybe use accurate numbers for the salary cap. Seriously, you have a ****ty attitude while misquoting the Salary Cap numbers, give me a damn break.

You win super bowls by having a great balance of money on your team. You have to look at each player and decide how much that player is worth. If you can't pay them what you think they are worth or less than you get rid of them and move on. Ever notice how the Patriots just keep changing all the time but still keep winning. If you are giving Marino 30 million a year it doesn't matter how great he is because the rest of the team will never be good enough to win any thing. It seems most fans don't understand the this. You can't just have players on your team that are getting paid more than they are worth and expect to be a great team. Jake makes more than he is worth imo

He is not even our best OL. Again, his replacement is already on the team.

Seriously, have you noticed the drop off in his game?

Yea he started out slow, just as he has done every year. And yes he has been the best OL this year. Dont even mention Pouncey because centers dont make $10 million a year even if they are elite - its just a position of less importance. And Martin hasnt been good in run blocking, and still gets beat a few times every game.

I'm just baffled at how you think you can move Martin to LT and draft a RT in a mid round. Look at the Cardinals for example. They have 2 young tackles and drafted mid round and they have already given up 35 sacks and 53 QB hurries, while Miami has given up 12 sacks and 28 QB hurries. Why is it that you are so desperat to return to the Columbo era?

Not sure why all of you are trying to be GMs, like you actually know the figures and how much a Jake Long contract would even affect us. Or even how much he would want for his contract. Maybe he wants to stay in Miami? Maybe his play this year will lower his contract demands?

It's actually kind of disheartening to see so many, so quick, wanting to get rid of one of our few proven veterans. Who has worked his ass off for this team. Quit trying to play GM.. That's what fantasy football is for.

"He's not worth that much" Oh we have Pro Scouts here also..
lol at you playing GM thinking Jake Long's new contract won't have an effect on us in the long run. That's a naive way of thinking...as if just because Jake Long would want to stay in Miami he would be willing to take a pay cut...he's making over $10 million a season right now when his play doesn't demand that. He's the 43rd ranked OT in the league right now according to PFF and you better believe Ireland will use that in negotiations because Long's agent sure as heck would use it if he were ranked in the top 5 and Long's agent has been rumored to want a contract in the same neighborhood as Joe Thomas of the Browns who is the highest paid OT in the NFL.

We have a RT that could switch to LT and draft another OT in the 2nd to play RT and use the 1st round draft pick for a WR or DE and it's not a matter of getting more draft picks as much as it is keeping more of our own players that have been developed by Philbin and the coaching staff. With what Jake Long will get in a new salary we could re-sign two of our own other players (even if he was to re-sign for the same exact salary).

So you can tell the future then? What contract is Jake Long being given, since you clearly have those numbers available?

Also, before you go on about other people "making up numbers" maybe use accurate numbers for the salary cap. Seriously, you have a ****ty attitude while misquoting the Salary Cap numbers, give me a damn break.

You said you could tell the future, and I'll quote you: "You're talking about dedicating over 10% of our entire cap space (and over 30% of our remaining space net year) to A SINGLE PLAYER who you admittedly would be overpaid."

Thats what you said, not me. I have never have projected Jake Long's worth.

For the benefit of the forum - allow me to break down some numbers while Zounds throws out random insults in ironic fashion considering he can't be bothered to do a simple google search.

The 2012 NFL Salary Cap is 120,000,000. As it has been stated MULTIPLE TIMES over MULTIPLE SOURCES, the Salary Cap WILL NOT BE INCREASING in 2013. So, that leaves us with the same cap.

10% of that is 12,000,000 not 13,000,000. Joe Thomas recently signed an 8 year $92,000,000 contract. Now, this might be confusing to some, but most of the time guys like Jake Long want more money then the other guy who just signed a deal before his.

Now, on to the "remaining cap space" since it appears to be a difficult concept to understand. There are players that Miami absolutely has to sign. As it stands, Miami is likely to have $50 million in cap space next year. Take out rookie pools (somewhere in the realm of $6-7 million, depending on our draft pick placement, that leaves you with $43,000,000 in space. Sean Smith is absolutely going to be resigned. Let's be generous and say he signs for a relatively good deal. $6.5 million. That cuts your space down to... anyone? $36,500,000! Let's re-sign some other players, while we are at it. You know, guys that currently are responsible directly for victories? Randy Starks. Let's be generous, again, and say he signs for a cheap deal. $5 million a year. That cuts down to $31,000,000.

We have a lot more people to re-sign, positions to fill, and we have $31,000,000 remaining. Can anyone tell me what 30% of 31,000,000 is? Let's just round up/down. Let's say its $10,500,000. Jake Long will absolutely want more than Joe Thomas. But, again, for the sake of HIS argument, let's say that Jake Long wants the EXACT SAME contract. That's more than $10,500,000. That's over 30%.

Stay in school kids.

You said you could tell the future, and I'll quote you: "You're talking about dedicating over 10% of our entire cap space (and over 30% of our remaining space net year) to A SINGLE PLAYER who you admittedly would be overpaid."

Thats what you said, not me. I have never have projected Jake Long's worth.

You're ignoring simple logic and deductive reasoning for the sake of some silly point that you are trying to prove. I guess let me break it down like this

-Do you think Jake Long will take a hometown discount?
-Do you think Jake Long will command a contract equal to that of Joe Thomas?
-Do you think Miami will re-sign any of the six+ starters that are currently going to be free agents at the end of this season?

Just to re-iterate, your exact words were even if you have to overpay him. I took that to mean he'd be getting a contract as good or BETTER than Joe Thomas's. Are you familliar with his contract?

There are huge gaping holes in your logic here, Zounds.

Salary cap for next year will be around $121 million...Jake Long could easily get a salary that is 10% of the cap.

The NFL's new CBA is just one year old and there are many new quirks executives must work through. But the main issue that all teams must deal with in the coming years is that the salary cap is not going to significantly increase. The cap pretty much stayed the same this year -- going from $120.375 million in 2011 to $120.6 million -- and there are indications it will remain flat next year. Therefore, if organizations have executed contracts with hefty increases for many players, there is no way they can keep the team together.
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000...p-will-force-nfl-teams-to-restructure-rosters

Joe Thomas' cap hit this year for the Browns (and that's really the concern, not the actual salary) is $12.96 million...more than 10% of this years salary cap. It will drop to $11.4 million next year and go back up to $12.3 million in 2014.

Back
Top Bottom