Are the Dolphins shopping Jake Long? | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Are the Dolphins shopping Jake Long?

Salary cap for next year will be around $121 million...Jake Long could easily get a salary that is 10% of the cap.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000...p-will-force-nfl-teams-to-restructure-rosters

Joe Thomas' cap hit this year for the Browns (and that's really the concern, not the actual salary) is $12.96 million...more than 10% of this years salary cap. It will drop to $11.4 million next year and go back up to $12.3 million in 2014.

We have almost $10 million to roll over next year. Our cap will likely be $130 million. 10% of that is $13 million. Joe Thomas is making $11 million on a backloaded contract. Jake Long will not be getting $13 million a year. I'm so happy you guys arent GM!

Where on earth are you getting $10,000,000 in roll over? Miami has anywhere from 5-7 million (depending on your source) in remaining cap space, and that was prior to Jabar currently under contract being earned and it's prior to Gaffney's numbers, it's prior to any incentives that are earned this season, and it's prior to any cuts we may make in the off-season that count as dead cap space.

You're being AWFULLY generous with your numbers each and every time. At this point for your family's well being I'm hoping you pay an accountant to do your taxes!

He even posted a link stating that Joe Thomas has a cap number of $12.x million, yet in the very next post you ignore that and say it's $11,000,000. That's wrong. Stop ignoring facts when they are presented right in front of your face. What on earth is the point to that?

Yea he started out slow, just as he has done every year. And yes he has been the best OL this year. Dont even mention Pouncey because centers dont make $10 million a year even if they are elite - its just a position of less importance. And Martin hasnt been good in run blocking, and still gets beat a few times every game.

I'm just baffled at how you think you can move Martin to LT and draft a RT in a mid round. Look at the Cardinals for example. They have 2 young tackles and drafted mid round and they have already given up 35 sacks and 53 QB hurries, while Miami has given up 12 sacks and 28 QB hurries. Why is it that you are so desperat to return to the Columbo era?
Since when does money or position played have anything to do with the best OL? Yes it is Pouncey and its not close. Jake has never gotten off to a slow start and this doesn't even qualify as slow. He has been bad in spots. You don't need an overpaid guy whose play has declined over the last two seasons, not to mention the injury issues, to play LT and that is what we currently have. The Dolphins are far better off re-signing Smith and Starks and shopping for a couple playmakers on both sides of the ball as well as augmenting the OL.

For the benefit of the forum - allow me to break down some numbers while Zounds throws out random insults in ironic fashion considering he can't be bothered to do a simple google search.

The 2012 NFL Salary Cap is 120,000,000. As it has been stated MULTIPLE TIMES over MULTIPLE SOURCES, the Salary Cap WILL NOT BE INCREASING in 2013. So, that leaves us with the same cap.

10% of that is 12,000,000 not 13,000,000. Joe Thomas recently signed an 8 year $92,000,000 contract. Now, this might be confusing to some, but most of the time guys like Jake Long want more money then the other guy who just signed a deal before his.

Now, on to the "remaining cap space" since it appears to be a difficult concept to understand. There are players that Miami absolutely has to sign. As it stands, Miami is likely to have $50 million in cap space next year. Take out rookie pools (somewhere in the realm of $6-7 million, depending on our draft pick placement, that leaves you with $43,000,000 in space. Sean Smith is absolutely going to be resigned. Let's be generous and say he signs for a relatively good deal. $6.5 million. That cuts your space down to... anyone? $36,500,000! Let's re-sign some other players, while we are at it. You know, guys that currently are responsible directly for victories? Randy Starks. Let's be generous, again, and say he signs for a cheap deal. $5 million a year. That cuts down to $31,000,000.

We have a lot more people to re-sign, positions to fill, and we have $31,000,000 remaining. Can anyone tell me what 30% of 31,000,000 is? Let's just round up/down. Let's say its $10,500,000. Jake Long will absolutely want more than Joe Thomas. But, again, for the sake of HIS argument, let's say that Jake Long wants the EXACT SAME contract. That's more than $10,500,000. That's over 30%.

Stay in school kids.

You forgot a lot here buddy. We cut Garrard, Johnson, and several other players that gave us more cap room. We can roll over cap. We are projected to have $45-50 million before roll over. So whats 30% of that?

We have almost $10 million to roll over next year. Our cap will likely be $130 million. 10% of that is $13 million. Joe Thomas is making $11 million on a backloaded contract. Jake Long will not be getting $13 million a year. I'm so happy you guys arent GM!
The cap is not expected to make any significant increase nor do we have 10 mil in roll over. I think we are just under 6.

Or would be as good and cost roughly 20% of what we're going to play Long, which would then allow us to actually get 2 or 3 quality free agents and re-sign all of our core free agents.

More importantly, NO ONE is going to give you equal value for Jake Long considering that they will ALSO have to give him a monster contract at the end of the year.

You forgot a lot here buddy. We cut Garrard, Johnson, and several other players that gave us more cap room. We can roll over cap. We are projected to have $45-50 million before roll over. So whats 30% of that?

I'm not going to sit here and repeat myself. No matter how many times you have facts placed in front of your fact you simply handwave and do mental gymnastics just so you can sit there and gave yourself a pat on the back. Stop it.

I said 30% of our remaining cap space. Do you plan on signing any rookies? Do you plan on signing any of our current impact players that have contracts up? You're dreaming with a huge number, not taking into account so many different things.

So, to recap

1) Miami does not have $10,000,000 of cap roll over. You're making this number up out of thin air. Stop.
2) You're ignoring rookie salary pools, work out bonuses + other contract incentives that are earned this year, and any dead money incurred by free agency transactions in the off-season this year
3) Jake Long, as you said yourself, would be overpaid. You've yet to address what you meant by this, but I'm not holding my breath for an answer at this point. If Joe Thomas signed a contract where his cap hit is 12.5x, then 11.2x, then 12.xx again... you would consider that to be realistic for Jake Long, yes? That's 10% of the cap.

We had $7.1 million in cap space before we signed Gaffney and if players like Dansby and Wake reach their bonus kickers (sacks, pro bowl, etc.) that money comes out of next years cap. In all likelihood we won't have the full $7.1 million to roll over for next year.

For the benefit of the forum - allow me to break down a bunch of hypothetical numbers while Zounds throws out random insults in ironic fashion considering he can't be bothered to do a simple google search.

Fixed that for you..

The only valid argument to getting rid of Long, FOR US to argue, is if he is even a needed fit for this style of offense. Yet all of you are still arguing money, even though there are a million different variables that could factor in there. One of those many variables is restructuring currently player contracts to make room for needed players. Again, none of you know what the **** you're talking about when it comes to the money of the team or Jakes contract. The only people who do work for the Dolphins..

All those players were under 1 year contracts so their salaries don't really play into next year. They would have been free agents at the end of the season so the $45-50 million would not have changed.

OK, here some more math for you fellas:

Here is our current cap hit of $115 million. This includes new signings like Gaffney and Armstrong. It also includes dead weight money like Garrad.

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/miami-dolphins/cap-hit/

Here is our current adjust cap allowance of $130 million, including the $10 million in roll over money from last year:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/10/04/adjusted-per-team-cap-numbers-for-2012/

So with that being said, maybe you can figure out what $130 minus 115 million is to find our roll over money?

---------- Post added at 02:05 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:04 PM ----------

All those players were under 1 year contracts so their salaries don't really play into next year. They would have been free agents at the end of the season so the $45-50 million would not have changed.

See above post. The count against this years cap, which directly effects roll overm oney to next year.

Last edited by a moderator:
Fixed that for you..

The only valid argument to getting rid of Long, FOR US to argue, is if he is even a needed fit for this style of offense. Yet all of you are still arguing money, even though there are a million different variables that could factor in there. One of those many variables is restructuring currently player contracts to make room for needed players. Again, none of you know what the **** you're talking about when it comes to the money of the team or Jakes contract.

I said over and over in my long post that the numbers were hypothetical, so quit acting like you're breaking down the entire argument with a simple edit. We are operating under realistic assumptions and deductive reasoning. You're arguing hopes and dreams here.

I mean, if you want to sit here and manipulate a TON of variables to achieve the result you want to hear, be my guest, but I subscribe to this economic theory known as "Occam's Razor" which tells us that the scenario with the least amount of variables is most likely one.

I am okay with shopping long for a 1st round pick. He is definitely not worth big money to stay with the team. No one else on the line is making as much as him and most of the other lineman are playing better.

We had $7.1 million in cap space before we signed Gaffney and if players like Dansby and Wake reach their bonus kickers (sacks, pro bowl, etc.) that money comes out of next years cap. In all likelihood we won't have the full $7.1 million to roll over for next year.

We had 7.1 million against the non-adusted cap, Our adjusted cap is $130 milion this year, and the non adjusted rate is $121 million.

Back
Top Bottom