Are the Dolphins shopping Jake Long? | Page 6 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Are the Dolphins shopping Jake Long?

Well buddy, you can believe anything you like, but it doesnt make it right. I certainly wont trust a fan site, especially a NY Jets forum to which your pal linked. Anyways, here is the CBA, which trump any fan site you can link: http://images.nflplayers.com/mediaR...eral/2011_Final_CBA_Searchable_Bookmarked.pdf

You can scroll down to page 96 in section (v) of the CBA where it discusses rolling over cap room. It clearly says you can roll over any unsed balace from the prior year. It does not stipulate that you cant roll over certain money like you said. This is the only section of the CBA that mentions roll over cap. There is absolutley nothing in the CBA that says what you are suggesting. Thats all I got for this thread.
No one is arguing that you cant use roll over from the previous season. You can't use it twice which is what you are doing. They are at 123 and change. The rollover for next year will be based on that number.

I mean, the two teams with the best records in the NFL right now are the Texans and Falcons, right? Can anyone name their LTs right off the top of their head? Thought so.

The Texans have Duane Brown who they signed to a 6 year 53.4 million dollar contract before the season.
The Falcons have Sam Baker who some say is having a break out year.

The Texans have Duane Brown who they signed to a 6 year 53.4 million dollar contract before the season.
The Falcons have Sam Baker who some say is having a break out year.
Integrity check. Did you have to look that up because if not, thats fairly impressive.

Two different points here. First, let's trade Big Jake, move Martin over to LT, and put someone like Garner at RT. This would be GREAT for RT's development. Martin, who is letting Tanny get hit from the right side, can now do the same (and then some) from the blind side, while someone else can do worse from the right side. Oh hell, he can develop next year. BRILLIANT!!!!!!

On a serious note, we will have over $50M in cap space next year. I had a brief exchange wit CK before, and he had some on the money numbers in signing our own. I posted that we could easily sign players for less next year, and then more in the future. He agreed, and came up with a 20% discount in the first year on average.

No one has exact cap numbers, not even Jason from the cap site referenced, but it is close. Bottom line is that we can sign our own, and sign a quality FA or two with what is left. True story.

Many believe the average money of a contract is the same every year, which is just not true. You can pay a player $1M this year, and $10M the next year. The cap will stay about the same in 2013 but, is expected to take a $5-7M jump in 2014, due to the increased TV revenue.

Well buddy, you can believe anything you like, but it doesnt make it right. I certainly wont trust a fan site, especially a NY Jets forum to which your pal linked. Anyways, here is the CBA, which trump any fan site you can link: http://images.nflplayers.com/mediaR...eral/2011_Final_CBA_Searchable_Bookmarked.pdf

You can scroll down to page 96 in section (v) of the CBA where it discusses rolling over cap room. It clearly says you can roll over any unsed balace from the prior year. It does not stipulate that you cant roll over certain money like you said. This is the only section of the CBA that mentions roll over cap. There is absolutley nothing in the CBA that says what you are suggesting. Thats all I got for this thread.

Yeah, we can do that, and no one knows what that number will be. Teams normally try to keep $3-4M in space available for injuries.

Would you accept the word of the head of NFL.com's blog and resident cap expert?

https://twitter.com/brian_mcintyre/status/224986683005861888

2013 adj. cap number would be std cap number (~121m) + whatever they roll over from 12 into 13 (+/- adjustments)

I tweeted him our exact question and scenario, and I'll get back to what he says. If I misunderstand it, I'll gladly admit I was wrong. Let's just assume you ARE right though.

That'd give Miami an extra $7,000,000 in cap space, not $10,000,000.

Jason, from the Jets cap site, has done a GREAT job, and is better than anyone else I've seen, and I have looked. Hard to give credit to a Jets site but, he has earned it. I have seen no one better.

Knew about Duane Brown.

Sam Baker? Not so much - cheated on that one.

Thank you for your honesty. I think most knowledgeable Dolphins fans would get Duane Brown. The Texans are an AFC team, we played them recently, plus he's been in the news for his contract and for something else lately, can't remember what. Sam Baker was a first round pick back in the day and I knew he was their starter when healthy but I wasn't sure if he was healthy right now. I doubt very many Dolphins fans would know about him. He was considered a reach when he was drafted and has never been more than an adequate player, if memory serves. But adequate to good is all you need.

But I think this sort of proves the point, doesn't it? Look at the money Brown is getting. Seven years (not six) for $56 million with $22 million guaranteed ($8 million average). That is the right amount of money to pay a top LT. Joe Thomas money is flat ****ing ridiculous.

Thank you for your honesty. I think most knowledgeable Dolphins fans would get Duane Brown. He's been in the news for his contract and for something else lately, can't remember what. Sam Baker was a first round pick back in the day and I knew he was their starter when healthy but I wasn't sure if he was healthy right now.

But I think this sort of proves the point, doesn't it? Look at the money Brown is getting. Seven years (not six) for $56 million with $22 million guaranteed ($8 million average). That is the right amount of money to pay a top LT.

Totally agree

100% agree with The Walrus. If we can get a contract like that, sign it all day every day.

I have to question if Long is worth re-signing, aside from the money. I love Jake as a player and leader. Hell, he took a bunch of cash out of his own pocket for lockout workouts. I just don't know that he fits into this zone blocking scheme. So far, it's been below average in run blocking, while doing pretty well in pass protect.

I think this question has to be answered before the money.

Thank you for your honesty. I think most knowledgeable Dolphins fans would get Duane Brown. The Texans are an AFC team, we played them recently, plus he's been in the news for his contract and for something else lately, can't remember what. Sam Baker was a first round pick back in the day and I knew he was their starter when healthy but I wasn't sure if he was healthy right now. I doubt very many Dolphins fans would know about him. He was considered a reach when he was drafted and has never been more than an adequate player, if memory serves. But adequate to good is all you need.

But I think this sort of proves the point, doesn't it? Look at the money Brown is getting. Seven years (not six) for $56 million with $22 million guaranteed ($8 million average). That is the right amount of money to pay a top LT. Joe Thomas money is flat ****ing ridiculous.
I knew about Baker. He was taken in the same draft as Long and Matt Ryan...IIRC the Falcons traded back into the top of the 1st round to get him.

I know before this season a lot of Falcon fans weren't happy with Baker though and most wanted to dump him after last season.

duane brown signed at a discount if you ask me...that guys a terrifiz zbs lt...hasn't given up a sack since early 2010...kid you not...i would love to get jake to sign for that but i don't see him taking it...

baker sucks imo...

Back
Top Bottom