Are we going back to being a "boring" team ? | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Are we going back to being a "boring" team ?

Wanny was a run the ball and reserve the right the punt. Ugh

Gotta score some points somehow.

He won though.

If you look back at my posts I remember saying be careful what you wish for.

You guys wished he would leave, he did and your team suffered.

The Bills did the same thing with Wade Phillips. We just didn't like Wade for some reason, but he won.

Wanny won with a team JJ built. They declined even further under his watch. I love a good running/ball control game, not run left, run right, run up middle, punt. That was Wanny.

Yes we will be a boring team, but it should improve our record. Parcells likes to shorten the game to keep his defense fresh by running the ball a lot, milking the clock from the first half kickoff, try not to turn over the ball, and phsyically wear down the opposing defense with physical smashmouth offense and continually moving the chains to keep the opposing offense from finding it's rythm. It works, the offensive and defensive philosophies complement one another. But, it does tend to create a fun to watch defense and a rather boring offense.

Sure, you can vary it up and add a change of pace back like Lorenzo Booker (oops, traded!) or an electrifying cutback runner like Ricky Williams (what are the odds he stays healthy and clean?), but basically it's a pounding running game (Brown, Williams and Parmele all fit the mold). Offensively, it's going to place a premium on ball control rather than scoring points. It's not an offense that does well coming from behind, so if the defense has a bad day, it's over. Basically, Parcells likes game managers as QB's, so he's more concerned with not turning the ball over and moving the chains than he is with actually putting the ball in his QB's hands and letting him score points.

Is it going to be boring, yes, but winning is always more enjoyable than losing. :) And, there's a certain satisfaction about blowing open holes you can drive an 18 wheeler through and manhandling the opposition. ;)

If boring means winning then bring it on. Pounding the pigskin and playing sound defense maybe boring to some people but I love it. Lining up and saying my SOB's are tougher then your SOB's and proving it sounds like a great team to watch.

i really dont care if the offense is "boring" or not....
as long as it lead to points, touchdowns preferably, and wins...
wins excite me...losses frustrate me...to the point of breaking something.....
so as long as they are putting enough point on the board to win games, then it is all good for me.....

Do you know how many times Bob Griese would throw the ball back when the Dolphins went undefeated and won the Superbowl?

Or how about Troy Aikman and the Cowboys back when JJ was there.

I remember how Parcells teams would run sweeps and screens over and over again against the Dolphins back when Shula was still here and we had the all time worst defensive coordinator in the history of the NFL...

Sporano called plenty of passes back when he was calling the plays for the Cowboys. I remember games where they were ahead and were stillin throwing deep in the 4th quarter. (He did run the ball more than the guy who followed him though)...

I wasn't very excited watching the team last year. I found our offense of 05 much more exciting.

Winning is the most exciting.

i do think that parcells... ehem, i mean sparano, will use the offense to its best abilities, which probably means a power run game. im all for that, 2002 was a thing of beauty, and i remember thinking at the time how it was even more satisfying to see us run the ball down the opponents throat than it was to watch marino air it out 5 years earlier to win those 35-31 games.

that being said, i dont understand where this misconception that Parcells is purely a run-minded coach. clearly you can look at bledsoe leading the league in attempts from 94-96, and then vinny leading the league in 2000. looking at the careers of Simms, Bledsoe, and Vinny, they averaged ~500 attempts per season, which doesnt strike me as "boring ball control".

parcells' qb attempts/year

1984-simms: 533
1985-simms: 495
1986-simms: 468
1987-strike shortened
1988-simms: 478 (15 games)
1989-simms: 405 (15 games)
1990-simms: 311 (14 games)
1993-bledsoe: 429 (13 games)
1994-bledsoe: 691
1995-bledsoe: 636 (15 games)
1996-bledsoe: 623
1997-bledsoe: 522
1998-Vinny: 421 (13 starts)
1999- Lucas/mirer etc: 486 (wow, almost 500 with the worst qb crew eva)
2000-Vinny: 590 (not with Tuna, but with his offense)
2003-Carter: 505
2004-Vinny: 495 (on dallas)

so basically you can bank on 500 att/yr, even with terrible qbs like rick mirer, ray lucas and quincy carter. as a comparison, Camoron's "razzle dazzle" offense put up the ball 389 times last season.

nothing is more boring than watching your team play meaningless games in december, let alone november (or in our case last year, october...yikes).

I think you will see Miami run the ball most of the time this year, so yes it will be boring. It's the best way to get these new QBs used to the speed of the NFL anyway. You don't want to rely on a rookies arm to win games.

I don't care about boring,just bring home Lombardis.Wow, I don't think Ive heard of the Fins ever being boring.Now the Spurs...

I think Bill Parcells will have us winning either way- boring or exciting, wins are wins.

Nothing will be as exciting as watching one of these monsters we are bringing in here knock the ever-lovin' snot out of some Jet, Bill, or Patriot. I hope we are the meanest, toughest, and most aggressive boring team in the league.

I don't think we yet have the QB experience to throw 30 times a game and expect to win week in and week out. The odd time perhaps, consistently, no. I think we are in good shape to have a solid running game, which should also help out our young QB's.

I have no problem with "boring" football. If the line does it's job and if Ronnie comes back strong and the others can contribute, it could be the year of 7 and 8 minute drives for TD's. I can't think of too many things more beneficial to a rebuilding team than to control the ball, not depend on your young QB's for the bulk of the offence and not expect your d to save the day while being on the field for 40+ minutes a game. Playing "boring" football should help others develop as well and it's probably also very well suited to South Florida, where teams could fatigue more easily having to try and stop that smash mouth style of play series after series.

I think Parcells is smart about what he's trying to implement and to be honest, there is something nice about seeing your backs chew up 4-5 yards at a time, pushing the other teams around while doing it. Is there anything better than physically dominating the opposition in the trenches and winning because of it? We may not be there quite yet, but I have no problem with our Fins having that type of attitude. I think we're sick of getting no respect and the best way to get some of that back is to pop guys right in the face.

With Ricky and Ronnie running the ball 40 plus we are going to win games! Our problem is the 3rd quarter most of the time! All I know is that Miami played one hell of a defensive game against the patriots in the second half of both games! If we can play like that this season all season then running the ball is my favorite style of football!

Back
Top Bottom