Areas That Mike McDaniel Needs to Improve in Year Two with the Miami Dolphins | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Areas That Mike McDaniel Needs to Improve in Year Two with the Miami Dolphins

Why do you think VF will have a major impact on clock management? I think the defense not putting us in bad situations as often will certainly help, but I doubt Fangio will be handling clock management philosophy.

McD's scheme uses a lot of shifts and motions to create advantageous matchups and put defenses in no win scenarios. The linemen need to learn to deal with it and become more disciplined if that is an issue.
the fact we use so much motion is a big reason why the play needs to get in quicker and Tua needs to break the huddle sooner.

the fact we use so much motion is a big reason why the play needs to get in quicker and Tua needs to break the huddle sooner.

generally its a fair point of criticism, but i think this is honestly overblown by a combination of the calls being in late and a rookie QB struggling to get the plays off in time late in the season.

Why do you think VF will have a major impact on clock management? I think the defense not putting us in bad situations as often will certainly help, but I doubt Fangio will be handling clock management philosophy.

McD's scheme uses a lot of shifts and motions to create advantageous matchups and put defenses in no win scenarios. The linemen need to learn to deal with it and become more disciplined if that is an issue.
Like you, I have no idea how anyone thinks Fangio will help clock management. The defense last year wasn’t an issue when it came to clock management. The issue with clock management was entirely on the offense and MCDaniel not getting the play calls in fast enough.

Fangio was hired to run the defense and MCDaniel will continue to call the plays on offense. So it is up to MCDaniel to improve in getting his calls in quicker and Fangio will have absolutely nothing to do with clock management when it comes to the offense.

A few more for consideration:

1. Tsk tsk. No more discreet unsponsored vaping on the sidelines during the game. The Shield expects its cut, even when you try to secretly puff the magic dragon.

2. For every press conference or interview “umm”, you (McDaniel) are expected to contribute $5 to the Tyreek Hill boat captain bribe slush fund. Note: Not to exceed $200.

3. Watching MacGruber with Tua is great. Admitting publicly you like the movie is something altogether different. Have your taste bud enhancement surgery scheduled. Soon, please.

4. Don’t stop with the “I wish it was colder” t-shirt smack talk with Bills. Step it up to “I ❤️ psychedelics, too” prior to both Jets games. And how about an “Orchids of Asia Day Spa” t-shirt for the Patriots (even though it might rub Kraft the wrong way…)

5. Film a Lethal Weapon training camp hype video with you and Chris Grier. You do something crazy (like passing the ball on 4th and inches) then have the camera pan to Grier who takes off his white baseball cap, rubs his temples saying, “I’m too old for this ****!”
You laugh and do it again, and again…and again.

6. Your watch game is epic. But for every loss this year you‘re required to downgrade a brand class. If by November you’re wearing Fossil, you’ll kindly be asked to leave and @CMD will finish the season as HC.

7. Your shoe game is on point too. But for every play you‘re slow in relaying to Tua, @Fin-Loco gets to scuff your Yeezys with his grill brush. Any losses to AFCE foes requires downgrade to camo Crocs.

If Tua can transform in one offseason for the good of the team, so can you…
Well done AH!!

Like you, I have no idea how anyone thinks Fangio will help clock management. The defense last year wasn’t an issue when it came to clock management. The issue with clock management was entirely on the offense and MCDaniel not getting the play calls in fast enough.

Fangio was hired to run the defense and MCDaniel will continue to call the plays on offense. So it is up to MCDaniel to improve in getting his calls in quicker and Fangio will have absolutely nothing to do with clock management when it comes to the offense.
I think many believe (not sure why) that VF will come in and be some kind of "mentor" to McD.

Personally, I question the dynamics of such a situation and don't think it will be the case. I'm sure VF will offer advice/suggestions in game planning throughout the week, but GameDay?

Can't see the mechanics or wisdom of that.

I'll just provide my list from last year.

1. Touchbacks. Get one every time we kick post scoring and at kickoff. Why risk a return of 25 or more when our kicker can just bang it out of there?

2. Get the calls in faster.

3. Players with false start penalties should be made to run laps until they collapse the day after the game.

That's about it. Fangio will fix everything wrong with the D.

I think many believe (not sure why) that VF will come in and be some kind of "mentor" to McD.

Personally, I question the dynamics of such a situation and don't think it will be the case. I'm sure VF will offer advice/suggestions in game planning throughout the week, but GameDay?

If Fangio is telling McDaniel when to call the timeouts then he's not doing his job as an DC........the OC is the one that should be helping out with that if MM needs help with it.

Didn’t say that. Would like to see McD clean up his messes as a HC. I always say a new HC deserves a second year unless it was a total abomination. First I don’t like my HC handling dual roles, I never did. And he made a **** load of bad mistakes as an OC. What do you want to be? Choose one and be the best at it. However, he has new personnel, let’s see if he improves with it
Right and agree. He can still design plays. Let someone else call them. He’s too indecisive and that’s why we can’t get plays off on time for one

Agree with that sentiment, it's hard to imagine two more polar opposites than Fangio and McD on so many levels. An Old School coach trying to preach their truisms to a young guy like McD is going to come across sounding like any adult in a Charlie Brown cartoon . Vic is here to coach the defense, period. I would be shocked if the glaring issues from year one continue, I'd bet top dollar McD has been incessantly self-scouting since that final whistle in the playoff game. He'll get it fixed.

1688566812826.png

The average for delay of game calls in the NFL was 5.3 per team in 2022. The Dolphins had a total of 8 delay of game calls in 18 games last season. So while it was frustrating for Dolphin fans to see the Dolphins offense called for delay of game or calling a timeout because the the time was running down. It really wasn’t much different than what a lot of offenses experienced last season.

While I agree MCDaniel needs to improve in this aspect of his coaching. I fully expect him to be better at getting the plays in quicker in what will be just his 2nd year as an NFL head coach and also his second year of calling plays in the league.

Last edited:
Miami was #1 in league in total penalties (144) last year.

— 22 total False Starts - ranked 21st
— 15 total Offensive Holding - ranked 5th - Rob Hunt (4)
— 8 total Delay of Game - ranked 25th

Miami had the fourth highest amount of Pre-snap penalties (46)

Penalties are a player issue and has nothing to do with the plays taking time to get into the game. Lack of concentration on false starts and losing leverage forcing the offensive players to hold is something the coaches can work on but it’s up to each player to improve in this aspect of the game.

All three of those penalty types are inexcusable and totally tied to discipline and speed of play calling.

And how many burnt timeouts to avoid delay of game? That seemed like a big one

Back
Top Bottom