Areas That Mike McDaniel Needs to Improve in Year Two with the Miami Dolphins | Page 5 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Areas That Mike McDaniel Needs to Improve in Year Two with the Miami Dolphins

On second thought - “he hasn’t done Jack” meaning he’s not won a damn thing.

Seriously I can’t remember where I put my keys when I’m holding them in my hands - but that said - McD is currently a bozo almost winner.

Fin fans vacation in JonesTown and drink WAY TOO MUCH kool aid!

The media did the same thing with jokey Johnson…Miami locals were all lathered up bc he let his 90’s U of M teams coke up like Hunter in the WH. But when he came to the Dolphins he was a bozo almost winner.

I want to be a McD fan - I really really do - but I’m struggling - I wish I had some faith but I don’t.

I won’t go off on him yet - but I do want to say that I strongly believe FinFans are gomer in this scene “ they’re payin for it you eat it!”

Not too far off. - LOL

Why do you think VF will have a major impact on clock management? I think the defense not putting us in bad situations as often will certainly help, but I doubt Fangio will be handling clock management philosophy.

McD's scheme uses a lot of shifts and motions to create advantageous matchups and put defenses in no win scenarios. The linemen need to learn to deal with it and become more disciplined if that is an issue.
DCs live or die by the clock. OCs not really, there only goal is to get points and will only burn clock in a last ditch effort to end a game when ahead, especailly inexperienced young ones. Vangio will be heard when we have 3 and outs with 18 seconds burned off the clock and his D has to go right back on the field. We were 25th I think in time possession last year, not a recipe for a top 5 defense, I don't care who you are. Fangio's voice will be welcomed by McyD..

As far a shifts and motions go, first, we have so much talent we don't need all the trickery. It just caused tons of delays of games, false starts. illegal motion, illegal man down fiieds etc.. which then allows those penalties to kill our running game with third and longs. The reason he does it is to see what coverage the D is in and to attempt to get blockers down field. Second, it exhausts our recievers, OL and TEs, i never saw Hill have so many cramps, and it was not just becasue of Florida heat, it happened everywhere we played.

DCs live or die by the clock. OCs not really, there only goal is to get points and will only burn clock in a last ditch effort to end a game when ahead, especailly inexperienced young ones. Vangio will be heard when we have 3 and outs with 18 seconds burned off the clock and his D has to go right back on the field. We were 25th I think in time possession last year, not a recipe for a top 5 defense, I don't care who you are. Fangio's voice will be welcomed by McyD..

As far a shifts and motions go, first, we have so much talent we don't need all the trickery. It just caused tons of delays of games, false starts. illegal motion, illegal man down fiieds etc.. which then allows those penalties to kill our running game with third and longs. The reason he does it is to see what coverage the D is in and to attempt to get blockers down field. Second, it exhausts our recievers, OL and TEs, i never saw Hill have so many cramps, and it was not just becasue of Florida heat, it happened everywhere we played.
Disagree with pretty much everything you said.

That's fine, though. Opinions vary.

I'd say 3rd in yards per play in his first season is a good start...
It’s tough because we saw a lot of good stuff and the stats back this up. The thing that hurt the most IMO were the repeated delays getting plays off on time more than anything else.

I guess I wonder if the dual role / doing too much contributed to this.

Consider this.

He did reasonably well his first year and could have possibly won two or three more games last year if he had been a little more coordinated with his clock management, and the time he needed to get the play into the QB.

These are things that he should easily be able to improve on in his second year as a HC.

Maybe this information will help you get a little more positive. - LOL

Which IMO leads to an interesting point ... How many of these snafus occurred when Tua was QB? When Tua wasn't QB?

Personally, I’d like to see McD improve his stache game:

1688662424846.jpeg

Maybe something like this. 😂

It’s tough because we saw a lot of good stuff and the stats back this up. The thing that hurt the most IMO were the repeated delays getting plays off on time more than anything else.

I guess I wonder if the dual role / doing too much contributed to this.
If Tua didn't miss games, we wouldn't even be talking about this stuff... imo

1688683854333.pngNote: This chart hasn’t been updated to include 2022 (McDaniel). If @So Be has something better, that’s cool.

From this chart one could infer coaches from the Shanahan tree (McVey #1, LaFluer #2, Shanahan #10) tend to burn more unnecessary TOs than their peers. Whether McDaniel would fall into the same pattern is a wild ass guess.

In 2021, Campbell and Meyer were both first-time NFL head coaches and it showed based on the # of time saving T.O. they called.

Also, Fangio was no time management wizard, but better than the average coach from the Shanahan tree; so not clear if he’s the ”hurry the **** up” consigliere to help McDaniel as presumed.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom