Armando: Harbaugh only real option to replace Philbin | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Armando: Harbaugh only real option to replace Philbin

gafin

Practice Squad
Reaction score
The walls are closing in on Joe Philbin from all sides now.

Sunday's 28-13 loss to the Baltimore Ravens makes this season look like it's headed toward the same mediocrity and failure to make the postseason as 2009 ...

And 2010.

And 2011.

And 2012.

And 2013.

And any number of years before 2008.

And so in my column today I ask owner Stephen Ross a simple question. Check out the column.

I am told Ross believes the Dolphins have playoff caliber talent. And because he believes there is enough talent to get to the playoffs, it is clear that if the Dolphins do not get in the playoffs, the owner may make a move to fire Joe Philbin.

After all, how can an owner sell to fans the idea that not making the playoffs three consecutive years is good enough to earn another season for Philbin? I suppose he could say, "Well, we've made incremental improvements and we think one more year will get us there."

And that will result in the stands being sparsely populated next season because my sense is fans are not in Philbin's corner anymore.

Sources tell me Ross also believes the Dolphins are a very good job for any prospective coach now compared to a few years ago because it is a retooling and tweaking job rather than a rebuilding from scratch job. In other words, Ross believes that the Dolphins are a great coach and some minor moves away from being very good.

Have Philbin and his coaches done a great job at 7-6? Well, I'd say they've been inconsistent. They're really good some weeks. They're poor other weeks. They are, in other words, what their team is and what their team's record says they are.

Mediocre.

So make no mistake: In the final three games this season, Joe Philbin and his coaching staff are working for the right to keep their jobs next year.

I am told by sources Ross sometimes talks of how coaches can take a franchise to the next level. He mentions Jon Gruden in Tampa Bay -- a lot. I suppose he could also point to Tony Dungy in Indianapolis, among others. There are myriad examples of coaches taking good to mediocre teams and making them very, very good.

So this again tells me the owner would consider "upgrading" from Philbin if the Dolphins don't get in the playoffs this year.

That leads me to Jim Harbaugh. Any report that suggests Stephen Ross doesn't want Harbaugh or wouldn't consider Harbaugh or, indeed, would not chase Harbaugh if he's in the market for a coach is dead wrong. That would be the first place Ross begins a coaching search.

Read more here: http://miamiherald.typepad.com/dolp...-option-to-replace-philbin.html#storylink=cpy

There are many candidates that can replace Joe Philbin. Many.

If Harbaugh is rumored to be available I expect Harbaughgate Part Deux! The sequel is usually worse just saying.

Ross's first mistake is thinking we have playoff talent. There is no coach out there that could take this group of players deep into the playoffs imo. We are an average 7-6 because we have average talent.

I still say Joe returns. Ross is stubborn with his guy.

I really hate being in this boat yet again. Oh well I guess that is just a part of being a fan of this team.

Philbin has to go. Its clear this team had good talent, but injuries have plagued them this year, but this is a no excuse year for philbin and the team is right where it was 3 years ago 7-9 to 9-7

The 49ers are a mess because of Harbaugh ego....do you guys really want that over here? He hasn't won a championship on any level even though he had the best team in the league for 2 yrs running and still came up short.....He is a good coach but not great, has a huge ego, players are tired of him after 3 yrs, the front office is tired of him at 3 yrs and the fan base is looking at him weird....

I would be ok with Philbin for another yr with Hickey, lets get the defense fixed this offseason instead of the cheap coming off of injury bandaids they tried last yr..another Hickey draft ..a 2nd yr in Lazor offense and let next yr decide if we blow this up or not...I think we are too close to bring in a ego who will blow it up now....

I could totally see Ross making a bungled public plea for Ross with Philbin still on the payroll, striking out and goi with a neutered Philbin for one more season. History repeats itself

Only way I would hire Harbaugh is if he has absolutely zero say in personnel. Tell the GM what you need and let him do his job. I think Harbaugh has screwed the 49ers roster over completely. He inherited a solid roster with playmakers and then slowly but surely has let those playmakers walk and not replaced them. The way Harbaugh's personality wears on his players would also be a major concern. IMO Harbaugh wouldn't even be on my top 5 list.

The Fins are missing the boat not looking at Rex.

After seeing what's happening in Sanfran now, I'm not sure I want him.

Ross's first mistake is thinking we have playoff talent. There is no coach out there that could take this group of players deep into the playoffs imo. We are an average 7-6 because we have average talent.

This. What playoff talent? The coach is bad but he's not getting gashed up the middle for 200 yards every week. That's Starks, Mitchell, Odrick, Wheeler, Wake, Misi, etc. The coach is bad but he's not missing wide open WR's for TD's, not allowing 4 sacks in 3 quarters, not holding the ball waiting for the pocket to collapse.

Jim Harbaugh is great and all, but SF is gonna miss the playoffs partially because of him. Put him on this team and the talent is still not up to par.

I think Bellichick or Arians would take this exact same team to the playoffs.

The injuries are going to give Philbin a pass I think.

I just don't think that Philbin brings enough to the table to ever win the AFC East much less a Super Bowl. If everything goes perfect, and the stars align he 'might' be able to just get there but he would just lose

This. What playoff talent? The coach is bad but he's not getting gashed up the middle for 200 yards every week. That's Starks, Mitchell, Odrick, Wheeler, Wake, Misi, etc. The coach is bad but he's not missing wide open WR's for TD's, not allowing 4 sacks in 3 quarters, not holding the ball waiting for the pocket to collapse.

Jim Harbaugh is great and all, but SF is gonna miss the playoffs partially because of him. Put him on this team and the talent is still not up to par.

They weren't getting gashed the first games of this season. Maybe, just maybe they have gave up on him and want him gone. I am not saying this is right but it may very well be what is going on.

Back
Top Bottom