ARMANDO SALGUERO Fins not interested in Watson | Page 9 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

ARMANDO SALGUERO Fins not interested in Watson

Good points, but where the dream dies is when he sees his WR corps here.

I don't see how you can advocate a DW trade if you also have to give up so much draft capital that you can't land one of the top 3 WR's.
I understand this reaction but how many years do you see guys perform from the mid rounds? It’s regular at this point.

Im expecting a 2nd round receiver from this class to turn into a star, I just haven’t decided yet. There’s so much talent.

Same at running back. You can land a guy in the 3rd. You can find production in relatively inexpensive FA signings.

People are far too obsessed with our picks. Same folks screaming for us to keep our 18 and pick more OL are same folks who say Grier’s 2020 o line draft needs to be replaced already... so why are we pretending it’s a guarantee our draft picks are upgrades?

Every year 35-45% of first round picks are busts compared to their lower selected counterparts

Houston's initial asking price for Watson is going to be insane and well above what any team should be willing to pay. And it should be.

If I'm Chris Grier, my opening bid is Tua plus #18 and #36. Maybe add in #50 or a future 1st if that is enough to seal the deal. But there is no way I'm giving up #3 because that pick can help me get back some of the draft capital we're losing in that trade.

Xavien's contract has potential to become a far bigger concern, but I think won't require too much work to resolve. He's making $12M-ish in each of the next four seasons. Bump that to $16M-ish, give him a $10M signing bonus, and give him full guarantees on 21-22 and a partial guarantee on 23. That would give him $26M in new money and $26M in additional guarantees. That would slot him ahead of Byron Jones and as the third highest paid corner in the league.
I can appreciate the optics and logic here but you’re not calling if you’re not willing to give back #3. It’s *their* pick. They’re going to not even listen to anything that’s not Tua + 3 + 18 imo.

this ultimately comes down to how much leverage does Watson have. Will he truly hold out?

Good points, but where the dream dies is when he sees his WR corps here.

I don't see how you can advocate a DW trade if you also have to give up so much draft capital that you can't land one of the top 3 WR's.
You are right. But other teams want DW all have big holes in their teams. Say Jets want to jump in, they got no OL, no wr, and a screwed up FO. Teams that have Waller, Hill type wr don't need a qb.
If DW really want to come to Miami, he could tell Hou he will reject any deal not involve Miami, thus force Hou to accept less picks, and give us a chance to load up weapon in the draft. Its all depends what DW really eant.

Deshaun Watson has the final say over where he is traded. He may say to the Texans that I want to play for the Miami Dolphins or I am sitting out. Watson seems sensitive to the social issues going on in our country and the fact that they did not interview Eric Bieniemy even though he requested that doesn't sit well with him in addition to all of the other blunders(i.e. Hopkins trade) the Texans front office have made this year.

In that case, the Dolphins have all the leverage. First, the Dolphins should be applauded for being the only team in the NFL who have walked the walk by hiring an African American GM and coach. LOL- As I am writing this Stephen A just mentioned this..(I am watching the rerun version)

This might have something to do with Watson citing the Dolphins as his team of choice. Sure, the Texans can tell Watson to pack sand and just have him sit out this year but then that becomes a daily ongoing drama that plays itself out every day during the season, fracturing the fanbase and intensifying its hatred to the Texans front office.

The Texans could be forced to get something out of this and move on with their season.
The Dolphins are not desperate for this trade to happen if they truly believe in the growth of Tua going forward.

The point here is it could be significantly less in terms of compensation than what people are saying around the country.

The Dolphins might have to give up Tua and first and a second-round pick but not necessarily pick #3.
Exactly my points...for Tua, #18 and 2nd you gotta do it...I would even consider a future 1st as well

Then with #3, trade down and recoup some capital. With Watson, you no longer need Devonta Smith or Sewell...with any luck you may almost get back the #18 and 2nd rounder again if someone is dying for a QB.

I like Tua and think he can develop.

But I can't name too many quarterbacks better than Watson. That's the most important position on the football field. You've got to at least listen.
Beside Rogers and Mahomes, i cant name anymore. May be Donald, if he wins SB this year. Jackson and Murray may run a bit better, but can't compare in passing.

Deshaun Watson has the final say over where he is traded. He may say to the Texans that I want to play for the Miami Dolphins or I am sitting out. Watson seems sensitive to the social issues going on in our country and the fact that they did not interview Eric Bieniemy even though he requested that doesn't sit well with him in addition to all of the other blunders(i.e. Hopkins trade) the Texans front office have made this year.

In that case, the Dolphins have all the leverage. First, the Dolphins should be applauded for being the only team in the NFL who have walked the walk by hiring an African American GM and coach. LOL- As I am writing this Stephen A just mentioned this..(I am watching the rerun version)

This might have something to do with Watson citing the Dolphins as his team of choice. Sure, the Texans can tell Watson to pack sand and just have him sit out this year but then that becomes a daily ongoing drama that plays itself out every day during the season, fracturing the fanbase and intensifying its hatred to the Texans front office.

The Texans could be forced to get something out of this and move on with their season.
The Dolphins are not desperate for this trade to happen if they truly believe in the growth of Tua going forward.

The point here is it could be significantly less in terms of compensation than what people are saying around the country.

The Dolphins might have to give up Tua and first and a second-round pick but not necessarily pick #3.
And to jump on your point. When Hou hired a consulting firm to do GM search, the result was two minority suggestions. And Hou decided not even explore the suggestions and went with Nick C.
That did not sit well with DW either.

No the correct formula is a cheap young qb with talent who has the ability to game manage which is Tua in every sense of the form. He has to improve and make those 2-3 plays game managers need to make. We also need to provide a better team.

sicne you’re such a brilliant gm and just want to trade everything for Watson or an elite qb let me ask you this, if it fails now what? What’s the backup plan? You now have no picks or cap to fix anything, you’ve now set the franchise back 5+ years since you’ve given away every 1st and 2nd we have. Essentially you are blowing up the defense and starting from scratch. Compare that to keeping Tua, I mean worse case is he doesn’t improve but now from trading back and having multiple picks we can continue to draft a qb while keeping key players in tack. Your idiotic trade everything for the farm approach sounds great in your head if he can carry a team on his back but let me ask you what if he doesn’t? Without those picks and cap I don’t see how we are any better than Houston. Better coached sure but talent wise that Houston offense blows Miami’s out of the water yet the great Watson won 3 games.
We didn’t pick tua at no 5 to be a game manager. I think he has franchise qb potential. We want to see franchise qb material other wise good game manager would be a bust for such a high pick tua was. I’m looking for more and think tua will. But don’t want to have such a top team or stress to make one so that it can win and go to playoffs with a game manager. That doesn’t work long term. It’s hard to maintain such a perfect team. Franchise qbs allow for imperfect teams to be playoff caliber and capable of winning a Super Bowl

Beside Rogers and Mahomes, i cant name anymore. May be Donald, if he wins SB this year. Jackson and Murray may run a bit better, but can't compare in passing.
Sounds about right. I think he's easily top 5 and, I agree, better than Jackson and Murray.

Everybody seems far to quick to give up on Tua.
A year recovered from major hip surgery who was throwing to backups at the end of the seazon.
Give him this off season to strengthen his body.
Draft playmakers as the team has stated at the press conference.
He proved at Alabama he wasn't a game manager.
Trust in the fact he worked so hard to overcome his hip surgery that he played this season.
Tua is a worker and leader.
Keep the faith.

If you follow the Patriots model, which Flo is a pupil and is the gold standard for all franchises when it comes to cap mgmt, when was the last time the Pats blew up their cap, traded away numerous 1st round picks and signed a 150M free agent? Waiting...

Watson can demand he is traded to Miami all he wants but that doesn’t mean the Dolphins want to trade for him. He isn’t a SB winning QB. In fact he is presently the QB of a team which won 4 games this past season. The Dolphins presently have a QB they recently drafted playing on a rookie contract.
‘Watson on the other hand has a salary which use up most of the salary cap the Dolphins presently have.

I think that the Jets or Jaguars are probably in a much better situation to trade for Watson. The Jaguars could offer the first pick in the draft for Watson and that would allow the Texans to draft Lawrence. Lawrence would then be on a rookie contract and they could build the team around him.

The Jets could offer Darold, their 2 first round draft picks and a second round pick in 2021 or 2022. The Texans could either decide to go with Darnold as their starting QB or draft Fields or Wilson.

To me, either of those trades would be more beneficial to the Texans, Jaguars, or Jets than any trade with the Dolphins.

Back
Top Bottom