Around the Preseason: Performances of players you liked/wanted on the Dolphins | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Around the Preseason: Performances of players you liked/wanted on the Dolphins

Julio's going to the pro-bowl if he doesn't get hurt.

Dr. Andrews has been operating on Trent since he was in high school. It's just a scope to clean out some loose bodies... a preventative step. He could actually get by without having it at all but it's not worth the discomfort when the recovery time is only a few weeks. He'll miss some pre-season games which should put him a little behind, but he's still the strongest OROY candidate out there in my opinion. I picked him for OROY when he declared for the draft. I'm sticking with it.

Peyton Manning looked more rusty than anything else and I would be pretty concerned about his ball velocity at this point.

He threw only one perimeter timing play, and it was a very Pennington-like high ball which increases the percentages of a completion but decreases the chance of any run after catch. He did this because he just can't get any heat on the football. His other perimeter ball was an extended play where the OL had just blocked so long that receivers had begun breaking and getting more separation. He made the deeper throw up the middle similarly with a LOT of time given to him by the OL.

My question is, what happens when the OL is not giving you that time?

That's when he'll have to keep dumping off short which he did in this game but even in just this preseason game with zero game planning the defense was able to figure that one out and started dropping guys back to play robber on the underneath stuff, which is how Peyton nearly threw that first interception before he successfully threw the interception on a second attempt near the end zone.

Oh and that ball he threw on the interception came out like a wet cat...angry, dangerous and totally out of control. It was wobbly and way behind the receiver, allowed Moore to tip it up and then it was just a tip drill...only this time it wasn't Jacob Tamme who came down with it but Major Wright who took 3 to 7 points off the board for the Broncos.

He was still Peyton Manning, though. Still the smartest QB in the game. He nearly threw a touchdown off an extremely keen read and adjustment based on how he saw the defense line up. He just overthrew the ball in the end zone a little bit...which in this case was more rust than having anything to do with arm strength.

It's tough to tell how well he's going to do until you see him get into faster situations with a heavier rush, and also until you see him knock off all that rust.

I agree completely. Not trying to hate on Manning by commenting on the obvious arm strength issue. I'm just genuinely wondering how he'll be this year after his recovery. He could regain that strength with time but I didn't see it tonight. The mental side he's going to make things happen of course. However with Denver's schedule this year I've heard even the Broncos internally acknowledge next year is the year to shoot the moon and make a run.

just got a look at Mallett for the Pats... He just didn't look comfortable.

Oh and and Brandon Marshall still has a bad habit of catching the ball and then running backwards

I did not get to see Alshon Jeffery yet. I wanted to watch some of that.

CK, what do you think about the Pats RBs. Woodhead is the only guy that got real signifigant playing time from last season, but they are talking like the Pats will throw it even more this year and that all of the backs who make the team will be counted on to get carries and play special teams in that the RB is just not a premium position for them value wise.

I like that strategy, but the talk was whoever gets cut up there is going to be someone with some talent. You know they are keeping Woodhead and that kid from LSU who got some playing time last year.

Do you see any of the other 3 being a potential asset? I know we are not necessarially solid at the RB position depth wise. The NFL network guys mentioned that there were about 20 scouts from different teams at that Pats game and mainly because of the 5 RBs. Your thoughts?

I think the guy to watch in that backfield is Stevan Ridley and I think he showed it again tonight. Shane Vereen did well, but Ridley is the kind of guy you can base a running attack around. Knowing Bill Belichick he always installs new things every year, usually doesn't do things exactly the same two seasons in a row. With the maturing of Ridley and Vereen, you could see Belichick swing his offense to more running than you'd expect.

I just do not get this Brandon Lloyd fever that people have. I'm sorry, I don't get it. The dude has had basically one good year in a nine or ten year career. It was in a BAD offense, and there was definitely some garbage production in there.

It's like people just assume there's some kind of magic when you put Josh McDaniels and Brandon Lloyd together. Well, maybe that works on teams like the 2010 Broncos or the 2011 Rams, but on the 2012 Patriots he's the 4th most interesting receiving target on the team, maybe even 5th depending on how you feel about Deion Branch, and history has shown that when Brandon Lloyd isn't featured and thrown the ball all over the place, he basically is a highly uninteresting player.

I had to get a laugh tonight at how Brady kept throwing to him to no avail, hoping he'd make these big plays and magically come open deep with his 4.6 speed. Saints defenders were EASILY in his hip pocket all game. Two incomplete passes that helped kill drives, oh and the sack-fumble was also an instance of Brady trying to buy time so that he could throw deep to his new favorite (4.6) deep threat.

Dammit CK, you beat me to mentioning Stephen Ridley. I was hoping to get in there before it looked like I was parroting you. He looks really, really good. Has that super quick burst and that vision looks great. Really night and day difference between him and a super fast guy like Danny Woodhead

Two Redskins rookies that are performing well early that I thought were the two best picks they made the entire draft were Richard Crawford and Alfred Morris. Both have had outstanding camps and a good first preseason game. Crawford had an interception and averaged 14 yards on punt returns.

Several rookies that I liked as prospects are off and running for now.

Did Alfred Morris end up at fullback like people were talking about? I never quite understood that, I thought he looked like a good tailback.

Richard Crawford is an interesting player. What I like about him is that he understand angles with regards to how to attack the ball when it's in the air. Very very good instincts and catches the ball at the highest point. Uses his hands to snatch picks and can take very good angles to break on balls. Understands the bail technique and when and where to give up a cushion. Like his size a bunch too. Nice and stout at 190. I like his ability to swivel his hips while still maintaining technique.

One thing that annoys me about him is that sometimes he will get destroyed for looking in the backfield too much and trying to read the QB eye's to get that pick

These pretend replacement zebras are a major liability to the very fabric in which this great game consist. Things were already bad, but now the integrity of the game is seriously in question. I saw horrendous calls being called left and right! Like bogus spots, horrible and uncatchable pass interference flags, terrible unsportsmanlike conduct calls, not blowing the whistle at the correct times to start and stop the play (resulting in pile ups), guys holding and its not being called...I could go on.

This could be a nightmare start for the NFL. If Roger doesn't fix this by opening kickoff he may have to worry about fans putting out bounties on the officials.

Was watching the third/fourth string Ravens secondary and was impressed by Omar Brown(S #45). Hadn't heard of him through the draft process, apparently undrafted safety out of Marshall. Had a pick late in the game (on Dominique Davis), two fumble recoveries and made some good, strong tackles. Someone I'll be interested to watch, see if he can bring it against non-scrubs.

Somebody I was high on was Nick Perry. Living in Chicago, I follow the Bears outside of the dolphins and one player I was hoping the Bears would draft is Perry. I thought he'd be a great fit opposite Julius Peppers. The kid from boise st., McClellin, had a sack but it was more of a coverage sack. But for the sake of my own analysis, I was happy to see Perry looked very good tonight. Still early, but feels good when you say, "they should have taken ____ instead of _____" and it turns out to be right.
Manning looked like **** and did not look like himself. At all. Hayes dropped a pick 6 and it ended up being a completion. Then on the Major Wright interception, that was a great play by dj moore to disrupt the pass, and Wright was in the right place at the right time. The pass to decker over the middle was WIDE open. There was nobody there. And the ball he threw to the sideline was in the air (in my Squints Paladoras from Sandlot voice) "For-Ev-Er".. I can't believe nobody could get to it. The guys on NFL Network were a bunch of bobble heads on Manning's Johnson because Manning makes the NFL a buttload of money.. But make no mistake, no matter what those clowns say, he did NOT look good.

That broad could beat you and I up without even trying haha she's a 6 time world judo champion

i'd knock her into next week my friend...it wouldn't be like the movies where we'd come one at a time and wait for the one before to get his *** handed to him...ha ha

---------- Post added at 07:53 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:52 AM ----------

The highlight of the Foles rollout pass across his body for 70 yards is on NFL.com .....

http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/2012080954/2012/PRE1/steelers@eagles#menu=highlights&tab=recap

Again, just watch after the pocked broke down ..... he's not exactly a sloth.

not to knock you but how is that considered across his body??? i know he's rolling right but its not in like full gallop and the throws pretty much in the middle of the field and the coverage is completely and utterly blown...

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom