Article: NFL play-calling a challenge for Beck | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Article: NFL play-calling a challenge for Beck

I look forward to seeing him in the preseason but I'm not expecting any miracles. He's not the kind of guy that slaps on a pair of blue jeans and goes out on the field and shows up NFL talent with his outrageous other-worldly gifts. He's the kind of guy that takes a year or two getting use to playbook, the speed of the game, managing the huddle and the players, and then goes in and does well.

I am also looking forward to see him in the preseason. I hope all goes well this season so he isn't rushed to start this season.

Peyton Manning in the making with all the study time

not sure Id go that far just yet. Manning is special...as in the likes of Marino, Elway, Montana, etc.

Beck isnt there yet, and while he has shown he has some talent, he has not yet shown anything that would suggest that he will someday be among the all time elite QBs in the NFL

This article was fantastic to read. The more I hear about Beck, the more I admire the guy. It really makes me appreciate how fortunate the Dolphins are for drafting him in the second round. What humors me most about the article is how it ends...

Oh, yeah! Here's the link: http://deseretnews.com/dn/view/0,1249,680196134,00.html

[Update: Alternate link - http://deseretnews.com/dn/view/0,1249,680196515,00.html]

Nice read, something actually positive. Think Armando Salguero would write anything like this?

If Miami fans were such great experts on quarterback talent, I wouldn't have had so many tooth-and-nail arguments about Joey Harrington about this time last year.
YOU GOTTA POINT THERE!!I was being somewhat sarcastic.

I think a lot of people including myself wanted to give him a chance just because of the fact that we had never really seen him play in the nfl,,it only took me a few weeks to know you were right,,,by the way i did go on the record in giving you mad props on that as well.

That being said we did watch the best play for 18 years some of us every single snap,,i can't wait to see the kid in our element in real time nfl speed.

YOU GOTTA POINT THERE!!I was being somewhat sarcastic.

I think a lot of people including myself wanted to give him a chance just because of the fact that we had never really seen him play in the nfl,,it only took me a few weeks to know you were right,,,by the way i did go on the record in giving you mad props on that as well.

That being said we did watch the best play for 18 years some of us every single snap,,i can't wait to see the kid in our element in real time nfl speed.

There are no magic substances in the water supply that dictate that one team has to automatically be bad, or have a bad offense. In fact, I think the Detroit Lions could end up with one of the most potent offenses in the NFL this year.

I think Houston and Detroit are sleepers...I'm not confident in Detroit's D but they could win 8-9 games just by completing the Rams-North offense....even if it does get a QB killed and leave the D hanging out to dry.

If Miami fans were such great experts on quarterback talent, I wouldn't have had so many tooth-and-nail arguments about Joey Harrington about this time last year.

:lol: Yeah weren't those arguments a hoot. I'll gladly boast that I was on the right side of that argument. I don't know what game others were watching. But I certainly wasn't seeing the say QB play they were.

Anyway...I have been wondering about something pertaining to the speed of the game for QBs. Like I said, I've always heard that is a big adjustment for them. Let's take someone like Carson Palmer, who I think is one of the top QBs in the league. He sat on the bench for his first year. I assume that was in order to get the playbook and language down. But that seems like all he would be getting. I don't see how you adjust to the speed unless you are actually in there.

So is that the plan with Beck? Is the plan starting off to just sit him on the bench just like Palmer and let the veteran play the year out? I guess I wouldn't have a problem with that if Cam thinks its vital to his development. But I see a debate coming sometime in the middle of the season pertaining to when Beck should start. That would be an easier debate if we are out of the playoff race early. But I think we have a decent shot at a wildcard spot. Should be interesting to say the least.

This gym rat thing had little to do with why we took Ginn over Quinn. You can say anything bad you want to about Quinn but he is definately a student of the game.

not sure Id go that far just yet. Manning is special...as in the likes of Marino, Elway, Montana, etc.

Beck isnt there yet, and while he has shown he has some talent, he has not yet shown anything that would suggest that he will someday be among the all time elite QBs in the NFL

I know...Im def not saying Beck is a manning in the making. Just a little optimism that all...

OMG my head hurts

I think the NFL should simplify things....the QB should say, "I am throwing a 15 yard slant pass to Chambers on Hutt Two." Why make it harder than you have to? :lol:

Wait until preseason games, then John Beck will be feeling the increase in speed. It's a little different when there is an actual pass rush.

Good to know that he's working that hard on learning the new offense, though.

Haha ain't that right. Once those players that got their mortgages and Bentley payments that are due, the speed of the game will be so much faster for him! But the good thing is this, if he's learning at this pace now, can you just imagine where he will be a year from now ? And If the game is not a blur to Beck right now, that means next year he might challenge for the starting position, or at worst to be Green's back up, because Cleo is gone after this year..

Furthermore, one thing I notice about watching the Chargers this year was how Cam kind of simplified the Offense for Rivers who was a First year starter. Majority of Rivers progression were first read and if it's not there, go to your check down. With that being said the Chargers still led the league in Scoring. I know, I know they had LT in all, but I imagine with Trent having spent his entire career in this system, Cam will open his offense, and go full throttle with the shifts, motions and maybe more 3 or 4 WR sets.

In addition to that, Cam is so innovative because some formations he has just one WR but has both TE's spread out Wide. There for he Has a TE as the X so his match up with a corner and then he has the FB at the Y than he's match up with the slot corner than he has the WR has the Y on the strong side of the formation so he's match up on a LB and then he has the second TE as the Z match up with a corner. He will than motion the FB back to his natural position and Rivers would throw the ball to his Y receiver who's match up on a LB. I mean the man is brilliant. Plus it seems as if he would always know when the blitz would be coming because the back and TE's would always be ready to block it.

Another thing I'll add is the fact that not only do rookies have to learn their own playbook, but from week to week they are going to have to learn opposing team's defenses. I think that is where guys like Peyton Manning and Zach Thomas earn their reputations. They study tons of film and learn the tendencies and intricacies of opposing teams. They are then able to take that and apply it to what they already know about their own team.

That is yet another thing that Beck is going to have to learn. Its not enough to know your gameplan. You need to be able to know what to expect from the defense. And then if they show you something you weren't expecting, you need to be able to adjust.

great read im excited with the pick...i hink ginn and beck will be a great combo in the next few years....hope we got it right

Back
Top Bottom