Atlanta Falcons Desperate for DL? We've got a lot in stock... | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Atlanta Falcons Desperate for DL? We've got a lot in stock...

Hell, if I could do it, I would trade them JT. Get me a 1st and 4th for him, and offload that contract. Roth will be JT's backfill, all he can play is RE anyways. We got two starting RE guys, with one one spot to fill. Offload JT, and get that 1st and 4th. Better yet, intice them with JT and our 3rd, for their 1st and 4th. I wouldn't take anything less then that. But I wouldnt go any higher then our 3rd.

ckparrothead said:
I don't see Bowens being pursued by the Falcons unless it is as a hybrid DE/OLB...which is what we're using him as right now.

I suggested Holliday because he's got the prerequisite strength to play DE in a 3-4 scheme (which is what they use in Atlanta, isn't it?)
Atlanta switched back to the 4-3 when Jim Mora Jr took over as HC.

Honestly am I the only one who thinks are d-line is still weak. Carter might end up playing a lot of DT taking him outta the DE rotation and while Bowens is ok there we don't know what we got with Matt Roth. There's too much question of our own DL to be talking about helping out another teams.

ckparrothead said:
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/columns/story?columnist=pasquarelli_len&id=2111098

DE Brady Smith just had serious neck surgery that could sideline him for a significant part of the season.

This comes in the wake of DT Rod Coleman's arrest and being charged with disorderly conduct. If Coleman pleads guilty or is convicted, he could get suspended by the league.

Per the article, the Falcons were already thin on DL before Smith's injury and Coleman's arrest.

Just to update you, we have the following players ALL with significant NFL experience...

DE/DT Kevin Carter
DE/DT Vonnie Holliday
DE Jason Taylor
DE David Bowens
DT Keith Traylor
DT Larry Chester
DT Jeff Zgonina
DT Dario Romero

In addition to that, we have newcomers...

DE Matt Roth
DT Manuel Wright
DT Kevin Vickerson

I once posted that the Dolphins may look at the possibility of Vonnie Holliday at NT, and getting him to gain a significant amount of weight. This is because he is currently 5th on the depth chart at DE.

Perhaps the Dolphins could shop one of these excess linemen to the Falcons? Or perhaps you think we really do need 11 defensive linemen on a team that employs four down linemen on some plays, and only three down linemen on other plays....

I have a feeling Saban wants to have a lot of d lineman and he will line them up all over the place. this guy Vickerson may not make the team.

Roman529 said:
I guess the Falcons owner and co-founder of Home Depot has a lot of money to blow in Atlanta....I would not have offered him as much either,,,,but Manning makes ridiculous money too and what has he won for the Colts. We need to draft Omar Jacobs next year...he will be our Michael Vick without the fumbles.

He dosn't fumble because he dosn't run much, hes not a scrambler. He is no ones Michael Vick.

The last thing I wanted was for this to turn into a Vick thread. Screw that.

Anyway, the bottom line is we're carrying 11 DL that could/should normally make the team, but we are switching to a hybrid 4-3/3-4 so its questionable whether we should be setting aside THAT many roster spots for the position.

So lets say we disregard Vickerson's talent and dump him because of his attitude, that still leaves 10 DL and one draft pick that we're not reaping a single return on. Even Dario Romero could have trade value to the Falcons right now, if they're that desperate.

We use to keep about 9 DL back when we were a straight up 4-3 team. One WOULD think that number would go down to 8 or 7 with us switching to the hybrid, but instead it's gone up to 11? I'm also a little worried we're not rostering enough LBs.

What in the hell? Please, keep speculation at the "silly" level instead of just "stupid".

Who are we going to trade?

Chester or Traylor? Great idea, let's completely kill our depth at a key position for our defense. Not to mention the Falcons dont want pure 2-gap run stuffers.

Holliday or Carter? Slightly less dumb, but still a shockingly bad idea. If you toss one of them, we've got absolutely no experience at a subgroup that we figure to have two on the field at almost all times.

Taylor or Bowens? Uh, no. We're going to trade what appears to be the most important player on our Defense? Get a grip. We dont even know where Matt Roth fits in.

Jeff Zgonina? Maybe. He fits the Falcons defense.

ckparrothead said:
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/columns/story?columnist=pasquarelli_len&id=2111098

DE Brady Smith just had serious neck surgery that could sideline him for a significant part of the season.

This comes in the wake of DT Rod Coleman's arrest and being charged with disorderly conduct. If Coleman pleads guilty or is convicted, he could get suspended by the league.

Per the article, the Falcons were already thin on DL before Smith's injury and Coleman's arrest.

Just to update you, we have the following players ALL with significant NFL experience...

DE/DT Kevin Carter
DE/DT Vonnie Holliday
DE Jason Taylor
DE David Bowens
DT Keith Traylor
DT Larry Chester
DT Jeff Zgonina
DT Dario Romero

In addition to that, we have newcomers...

DE Matt Roth
DT Manuel Wright
DT Kevin Vickerson

I once posted that the Dolphins may look at the possibility of Vonnie Holliday at NT, and getting him to gain a significant amount of weight. This is because he is currently 5th on the depth chart at DE.

Perhaps the Dolphins could shop one of these excess linemen to the Falcons? Or perhaps you think we really do need 11 defensive linemen on a team that employs four down linemen on some plays, and only three down linemen on other plays....
i agree with u on our dline.

Disgustipate said:
What in the hell? Please, keep speculation at the "silly" level instead of just "stupid".

Who are we going to trade?

Chester or Traylor? Great idea, let's completely kill our depth at a key position for our defense. Not to mention the Falcons dont want pure 2-gap run stuffers.

Holliday or Carter? Slightly less dumb, but still a shockingly bad idea. If you toss one of them, we've got absolutely no experience at a subgroup that we figure to have two on the field at almost all times.

Taylor or Bowens? Uh, no. We're going to trade what appears to be the most important player on our Defense? Get a grip. We dont even know where Matt Roth fits in.

Jeff Zgonina? Maybe. He fits the Falcons defense.

Talk for yourself. Roth ONLY fits in at RE. We need two starters at RE? NO. Your question/stupid or silly comment section has been denied!

LithoMan said:
Talk for yourself. Roth ONLY fits in at RE. We need two starters at RE? NO. Your question/stupid or silly comment section has been denied!

Only fits at RE? Well, consider the fact that there is no way in hell he, or any of the speed rushers line up exclusively at RDE, for one. If Saban runs the 4-3 the same way he did at LSU, the speed rusher will end up splitting time on each side about 50/50.

Not to mention the fact that it's extremely common while running the 3-4 defense to have 2 pass rushing OLBs on the field at the same time. Seau is going to play the interior.

And then there is Nickel and Dime packages, where we'll likely see two of these players lined up at end where the larger pass rusher types like Carter and Holliday will probabaly end up in the interior.

Disgustipate said:
Only fits at RE? Well, consider the fact that there is no way in hell he, or any of the speed rushers line up exclusively at RDE, for one. If Saban runs the 4-3 the same way he did at LSU, the speed rusher will end up splitting time on each side about 50/50.

Not to mention the fact that it's extremely common while running the 3-4 defense to have 2 pass rushing OLBs on the field at the same time. Seau is going to play the interior.

And then there is Nickel and Dime packages, where we'll likely see two of these players lined up at end where the larger pass rusher types like Carter and Holliday will probabaly end up in the interior.

JC, that is a bunch of hoopla. We CAN NOT run the 3-4. Who on our team is a SS LB? Please tell me, because last I looked, we dont have one! We had a shot at one, in the 2nd and the 3rd rounds. But, what did we draft, a bunch of GD replacements! You can bash me, and bash me, but that is why I say, "we had a bad draft". You all want to point at the fact these guys are talented. I point at the fact it doesnt help this team one GD bit this year. Roth, strictly a RDE, Crowder is an ILB, all the way. We got those! Dont we? So, it was a bad draft!

Because you want to believe a guy can play the LDE, or OLB, dont make it so. The fact is they are what they are. Talented guys that wont be used to their potential until next year. Plain cold truth!

MikeO said:
For salary cap reasons they can't trade Carter, Holliday, Trayor. Cant trade Chester who isn't 100%. Won't trade JT, Roth, Wright or Vickerson.

The only guy with any trade value (albeit low trade value) is Zgonia. And I would rather keep him than get a 7th round pick.

Vickerson might not even be signed.... we could trade him. Same with Zgonina and David Bowens. Bowens would net us the highest draft pick and be the most expandable IMO.

LithoMan said:
JC, that is a bunch of hoopla. We CAN NOT run the 3-4. Who on our team is a SS LB? Please tell me, because last I looked, we dont have one! We had a shot at one, in the 2nd and the 3rd rounds. But, what did we draft, a bunch of GD replacements! You can bash me, and bash me, but that is why I say, "we had a bad draft". You all want to point at the fact these guys are talented. I point at the fact it doesnt help this team one GD bit this year. Roth, strictly a RDE, Crowder is an ILB, all the way. We got those! Dont we? So, it was a bad draft!

Because you want to believe a guy can play the LDE, or OLB, dont make it so. The fact is they are what they are. Talented guys that wont be used to their potential until next year. Plain cold truth!

You should note that this was done intentionally (and correctly) by Saban. He's using FA to plug holes and gather "this year" starters. He's looking long term with the draft, as it should be. Should we have selected a less talented player for need this year, or a much more talented player who we might have to wait a year to see... but whom will be a SOLID starter for us for 6+ years?

Drafting for need is what ended up getting Wanny striped of his GM powers.

cnc66 said:
I am serious, I don't think Ron Mexico is all that, he will be frequently injured and is not a good quarterback, amazing athlete perhaps but not a good QB.
i couldn't agree more

Back
Top Bottom