Atlanta Falcons Desperate for DL? We've got a lot in stock... | Page 5 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Atlanta Falcons Desperate for DL? We've got a lot in stock...

phinphanphrommi said:
You should note that this was done intentionally (and correctly) by Saban. He's using FA to plug holes and gather "this year" starters. He's looking long term with the draft, as it should be. Should we have selected a less talented player for need this year, or a much more talented player who we might have to wait a year to see... but whom will be a SOLID starter for us for 6+ years?

Drafting for need is what ended up getting Wanny striped of his GM powers.

Well, if you want to call Darryl Blackstock a need pick, then thats all you buddy. He would of been a perfect fit for our D, and he is one hell of a SS LB. But, I guess that would of been a need pick......

LithoMan said:
Well, if you want to call Darryl Blackstock a need pick, then thats all you buddy. He would of been a perfect fit for our D, and he is one hell of a SS LB. But, I guess that would of been a need pick......

He would have been a need pick, because he's less talented than Roth.

LithoMan said:
Right........

You'd honestly take a pass rushing OLB who hasn't really shown any talent at ANYTHING other than pass rushing over Roth, who was a terror at DE both at stopping the run, and rushing the passer? Even considering the fact that we're going to be running the 3-4 no more than 50% of the time?

Man... you prove once again why I'm glad you're not our GM.

For you to say we had a "Bad draft" shows me that you're the type who is insulted that we didn't draft who you wanted. Don't be such a sore loser that Saban is a better talent scout than you. I wanted a QB just as much as the next guy... but I'm thrilled with the job Saban did with the draft.

x
LithoMan said:
JC, that is a bunch of hoopla. We CAN NOT run the 3-4. Who on our team is a SS LB? Please tell me, because last I looked, we dont have one! We had a shot at one, in the 2nd and the 3rd rounds. But, what did we draft, a bunch of GD replacements! You can bash me, and bash me, but that is why I say, "we had a bad draft". You all want to point at the fact these guys are talented. I point at the fact it doesnt help this team one GD bit this year. Roth, strictly a RDE, Crowder is an ILB, all the way. We got those! Dont we? So, it was a bad draft!

We cant run the 3-4? Our head coach, whom last time I checked is infinately more qualified then you to make that analysis seems to think we can.

SSLB? It'll depend on the package. Donnie Spragan, Jason Taylor, and David Bowens for sure will line up at OLB in the 3-4. Junior Seau, and likely Matt Roth will be too.

Roth is strictly a RDE? Why is that? It is extremely common for DEs to play 3-4 OLB. The majority of them in the league right now have been DEs. Hell, virtually all of the Patriots linebackers were DEs at one point or the other in their career. Roth ran a 4.77 in the combine. That is well within acceptable speed range for 3-4 OLB, many of them run as slow as a 4.90. He also had experience at LB, playing MLB his first season at Iowa.

Crowder strictly an ILB? In the 3-4, maybe. Saban has already said that he thinks Crowder can and that he will see time at other linebacker positions.

I'm not even going to argue with either of you, because you have no idea of what your even talking about. You dont even know the definition of an OLB in a 4-3, compared to a SS LB in a 3-4. You just think they are all the same. You two are probably the ones who would of wasted a 2nd overall on a turd like Derrick Johnson.

It takes more then speed to play the SS LB. The only we reason we arent going to run the 3-4 more then 50% of the time, is because we cant. And even then, we will be lucky to see it 2 maybe 3 times a game. And, when we do, we will get toasted. Spragan is the best shot to play it, but even then, Donnie aint all that.

Im done typing to the brick walls.....

Your D is unproven. The last thing Saban needs is to start giving away players without even knowing what your current roster can do. Now if he wants to suck this year by giving away players for draft picks, then he should. That means another year or so of rebuilding.

LithoMan said:
I'm not even going to argue with either of you, because you have no idea of what your even talking about. You dont even know the definition of an OLB in a 4-3, compared to a SS LB in a 3-4. You just think they are all the same. You two are probably the ones who would of wasted a 2nd overall on a turd like Derrick Johnson.

It takes more then speed to play the SS LB. The only we reason we arent going to run the 3-4 more then 50% of the time, is because we cant. And even then, we will be lucky to see it 2 maybe 3 times a game. And, when we do, we will get toasted. Spragan is the best shot to play it, but even then, Donnie aint all that.

Im done typing to the brick walls.....

You're right, Litho. Man what a fool I've been. We should have drafted Blackstock 2nd overall so we could run the 3-4 full time. Lord knows he's the only reason we can't now. I have seen the light!

Oh, and for the record... I wanted Alex Smith, Ronnie Brown, Caddilac, or Braylon Edwards in that order with our pick.

Things that make you go Hmmm....

LithoMan said:
we have NO NEED!!!! We have best available player!!!!!

4/9/2005 http://www.finheaven.com/boardvb2/showthread.php?p=1110803#post1110803

LithoMan said:
You can bash me, and bash me, but that is why I say, "we had a bad draft". You all want to point at the fact these guys are talented. I point at the fact it doesnt help this team one GD bit this year. Roth, strictly a RDE, Crowder is an ILB, all the way. We got those! Dont we? So, it was a bad draft!

7/20/05 -- This very thread.

What a difference 3 months makes! So we have no needs... pick the best player.... but we need to pick players we don't already have so they can have an impact this year....

I'm confused! Please explain your logic, Litho.

phinphanphrommi said:

What a difference 3 months makes! So we have no needs... pick the best player.... but we need to pick players we don't already have so they can have an impact this year....

Your the one who is convinced Blackstock would of been a need pick. Especially in the third. Oh yeah, that would of been a real need pick.

And my draft order would of been Carnell, with that #2 overall. Then in the second, its hard to say, but there were more then just Blackstock that could of played the SS LB. I never need pick, but I wouldn't pick replacement players on the first day either. Thats second day picks, that you can groom to take over in a year or two.

You've convinced yourself Matt Roth is some kind of stud, and all other picks would of been chumps. SS LB is one of the HARDEST positions to get a GREAT player at. SF has to FT Julian, because they cant pay him enough, when guys like Lavar are making what they do, and that is just a MLB. Nothing special.

Once again, you have shown your ignorance, by trying to argue a position you thought you had. The only position I would say is more challenging then the SS LB, is the QB. And you see how important that is in the last few years. Oh wait, your still hoping Feeley pans out. ROFLMAO.

You can keep challenging my point of view, but you will lose. Now, in three months time, come post your POV, when things dont pan out like you hoped they would. Roth stays at RE. Crowder will be mauled if moved to the outside. Feeley will be out by the bye. Ronnie will be eating Carnell's dust. Any other questions?

phinphanphrommi said:

NICE!!! Litho is TOASTED........

I also read Litho's reply............WEAK!

Saban = Intelligence
Litho = Wannabe

BTW, Litho, you can call Roth/Crowder "replacements" but it's better called "foresight". Zach/Seau/JT/Bowens/etc can't play forever AND with salary cap issues looming, the Fins are now ready to for the LONG-TERM.
Saban = LONG-TERM SUCCESS...

Thank God for Saban!

Losman7 said:
You guys can't afford Vick

Besides, half the guys on the list are just as hurt as the falcons DLinemen..

Nobody is gonna trade for a dinged up old lineman that you'ed offer.

Do you ever say aything positive? Except for about the Bills?

LithoMan said:
Your the one who is convinced Blackstock would of been a need pick. Especially in the third. Oh yeah, that would of been a real need pick.

And my draft order would of been Carnell, with that #2 overall. Then in the second, its hard to say, but there were more then just Blackstock that could of played the SS LB. I never need pick, but I wouldn't pick replacement players on the first day either. Thats second day picks, that you can groom to take over in a year or two.

You've convinced yourself Matt Roth is some kind of stud, and all other picks would of been chumps. SS LB is one of the HARDEST positions to get a GREAT player at. SF has to FT Julian, because they cant pay him enough, when guys like Lavar are making what they do, and that is just a MLB. Nothing special.

Once again, you have shown your ignorance, by trying to argue a position you thought you had. The only position I would say is more challenging then the SS LB, is the QB. And you see how important that is in the last few years. Oh wait, your still hoping Feeley pans out. ROFLMAO.

You can keep challenging my point of view, but you will lose. Now, in three months time, come post your POV, when things dont pan out like you hoped they would. Roth stays at RE. Crowder will be mauled if moved to the outside. Feeley will be out by the bye. Ronnie will be eating Carnell's dust. Any other questions?

What exactly makes you so sure that Roth is a RE only? He's actually quite suited for LDE. He's 6'3, 273 who's very strong in run support. Our former standout LDE, Ogun, was 6'4, 260. He's got the size, speed, and run support ability.. not to mention the fact that he played primarily on the left side in college.

I think Crowder is better suited for MLB, sure... but I expect to see him get a decent amount of OLB snaps this year as well... and I think he'll do just fine.

Ronnie probably will eat Carnell's dust. He'll do so though, because the Dolphins #2 RB is Ricky Williams... I don't see Pittman stealing nearly as many carries from Carnell as Ricky will from Ronnie. If Ricky never came back (as was expected when we drafted Ronnie), I think Ronnie would smoke Carnell hands down in total yardage. Ronnie is the more all around back, which will be quite usefull now that we're not playing Wannyball anymore.

And as for Feeley.... yeah, I think there's still hope that he can turn out a decent season. He could suck just as bad as last year too. I just don't think you can make a judgement on him when so many things were so very wrong with our offense last year.

I suppose we'll have to agree to disagree, and one of us will dig this thread up later to rub it in the others face, I guess.

LithoMan said:

How much garlic salt should I put in my pan of sauce ?? I was thinking about 1 1/2 teaspoons...

LithoMan said:

So you finally admit that Julian Peterson is a linebacker.

Back
Top Bottom