Austin Jackson in Great Shape | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Austin Jackson in Great Shape

Miami may face a similar decision with Raekwon Davis.

Maybe not, considering the word on Davis is inconsistent worker, and with knowing what Fangio wants above all else (Hard worker putting in the time at practice, and then playing twice as hard in games), he may not see another contract unless he plays his butt off this coming season.

Just good enough will not be enough for Davis...especially with Pili on board. Just because Davis is a freak with insane size will not cut it.

Jackson got his body fat down 8 percent, decreasing his weight to a “really lean” 310 pounds after being in the upper 320s at the same time last year.

“I had a really great offseason,” Jackson said. “I won’t say good. I’ll say great.”

....that quote was from last offseason. I'm not buying this picture comparison at all.

Regarding AJ, my understanding was that we tried to move up in that draft for a couple of Tackles and couldn't. AJ himself was a project. A pure tools play. On a reasonably average team, he should have redshirted a year. Almost every OL needs a year to get stronger to deal with NFL level talent. Add in his age and bone marrow surgery and he was practically guaranteed to struggle. Throw in horrid coaching and it was a lock.

I don't agree that his technique is poor. It's not great, but it's at least average. His bigger issue was always awareness. He didn't seem to know what to do too often. But I put a ton of that on the coaching. I think that's why he looked so much better in the preseason and before getting injured last season. I would not be surprised at all if he proves to be a competent RT. I wouldn't put all my eggs in that basket, but it's a reasonable outcome.

Regarding Davis, I don't think he's particularly good as a NT taking on two blockers. At best I'd say he's inconsistent. As a one gapper, he's better but still inconsistent. Inconsistency was the knock in college too. I see him as a clear step down from Wilkins and Seiler and not a great fit for that NT slot that Fangio defenses covet. He'd have to show a lot more this season for us to not just let him walk after the season.

I thought the drafting of Armstead was straight ignorant and still do to this day. He was never going to give you a complete season on the field and he had nothing to do with Tua’s blind side. We saw where this lead. We should have spent much less on a position much less paid that would be our “left tackle” on the right side. We are this many years into Tua and Jackson went from his left to his right?!?! This is organizational management failure. I love the moves they are doing this off-season, but to not bring in a superior RT at a lower cost than LT money was a buzz kill. Serviceable on your QB’s blind side with concussion issues is failure. We need elite there and they wouldn’t command LT money.

Love to hear it! I've been rooting for the guy to stick around and if he plays his best this season, it would be a no brainer to extend him! Underrated in my eye with how he played at times last season.

I thought the drafting of Armstead was straight ignorant and still do to this day. He was never going to give you a complete season on the field and he had nothing to do with Tua’s blind side. We saw where this lead. We should have spent much less on a position much less paid that would be our “left tackle” on the right side. We are this many years into Tua and Jackson went from his left to his right?!?! This is organizational management failure. I love the moves they are doing this off-season, but to not bring in a superior RT at a lower cost than LT money was a buzz kill. Serviceable on your QB’s blind side with concussion issues is failure. We need elite there and they wouldn’t command LT money.
I didn't like the Armstead move myself... I would have rather found a quality middle range tackle lt, who could actually be relied upon for much less!

Season 1: 20-year-old rookie still rounding back into fitness after bone marrow donation to his sister

Season 2: saddled with first-time offensive line coach teaching him some bulls**t one-arm technique that only ever for Tom Cable (maybe?)

Season 3: position change and injuries

If he turns into a good player this year, I look at it less of being a "contract year motivation" than getting healthy and better coaching.

Season 1: 20-year-old rookie still rounding back into fitness after bone marrow donation to his sister

Season 2: saddled with first-time offensive line coach teaching him some bulls**t one-arm technique that only ever for Tom Cable (maybe?)

Season 3: position change and injuries

If he turns into a good player this year, I look at it less of being a "contract year motivation" than getting healthy and better coaching.
I have been real down on AJ, but I am starting to turn.

Plus - anyone that gives anyone bone marrow…my goodness, I know his juice (chi) was drained that year. Last, year injuries all the way. Year 2 he just sucked.

Hopefully he can learn from some solid coaching and at least be a C level player. He's been awful on the field otherwise.

He seems like a nice guy - just too nice to play NFL football.

Back
Top Bottom