Austin Jackson in Great Shape | Page 5 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Austin Jackson in Great Shape

I have been real down on AJ, but I am starting to turn.

Plus - anyone that gives anyone bone marrow…my goodness, I know his juice (chi) was drained that year. Last, year injuries all the way. Year 2 he just sucked.

Hopefully he can learn from some solid coaching and at least be a C level player. He's been awful on the field otherwise.

He seems like a nice guy - just too nice to play NFL football.
For clarities sake, which way are you turning?
It looks more like you are "squirming".

For goodness' sake, can't you just decide one way or the other instead of this kind of "no, maybe, absolutely not, no" presentation in your post?

I’m very bullish on AJ this year. When you put in the work to transform your body that much, it shows dedication and drive. You have to actually want something bad like that, it doesn’t just happen. He’s motivated.

I know he’s been subpar and the expectations of a 1st round pick weren’t met, but the guy was barely old enough to buy a beer. He’s got plenty physical talent and the motivation seems to be intact. We just need health now.
AJ came in last year in great shape only to spend 90% of the season out with that foot injury. Shape didn’t matter last year. I think he could be a fraud. I hope he isn’t.

Maybe not, considering the word on Davis is inconsistent worker, and with knowing what Fangio wants above all else (Hard worker putting in the time at practice, and then playing twice as hard in games), he may not see another contract unless he plays his butt off this coming season.

Just good enough will not be enough for Davis...especially with Pili on board. Just because Davis is a freak with insane size will not cut it.

Can you provide a link to this? I've heard "inconsistent results" and "inconsistent footwork," but I haven't once heard that he doesn't work hard.

Looks at this side by side of AJ. Looks like the kid finally getting his head right. Oh wait it’s also a contract year. Coincidence? Personally I hate players like this because I don’t trust this type of dedication. Hope he has an amazing season for our sake, but I don’t want to resign him. Rather the comp pick. Tag could be an option, but def would not do something long term.

Depends on how he plays this year. He only played in 2 games last year due to blowing out his ankle(s)? Which he just had reconstructive surgery on. If he comes back from that and can stay healthy, and the contract year motivates him then I say great. We need strong Right Tackle play and I personally don’t care where or who we get it from as long as we get it.

Can you provide a link to this? I've heard "inconsistent results" and "inconsistent footwork," but I haven't once heard that he doesn't work hard.

There was a recent article that said something that made a lot of sense, Davis has a lot of ability, and could be a force, but whether we like it or not, he has under performed. Also don't know if you were aware, but the reason we got him where we did was his reputation as not being a consistent hard worker.

He has played 46 games for us, in those 46 games he has 96 tackles, but of those 96, only 36 are solo tackles
(That's less then 1 solo tackle a game)
and to this point he only has 1 1/2 sacks...Not exactly elite, or close to the type of numbers he should be producing.

His agent will be asking (As he should) money for the type of player he could be, not the type he has been, and Fangio is not the type that allows player to under perform to what they're capable of, so unless he is willing to resign for backup money, he might not be here. Miami is going to eventually have to get rid of players they can not afford to pay, Davis is not looking as good...Sorry.

I could not find that article, but here is one that somewhat says the same a while back.

He is only 23 years old. Going into his prime. This is when he is supposed to be his best. Hunt was 22 or 23 coming in his rookie year. Jackson was drafted to grow into top form 2-3 years down the road. Last season he was set back with an injury. It wouldn’t make sense to move on if he puts it all together now. IMO
It took me until I was 25 to get my goals straight in life, this could be huge for us..

People forget Jackson was looking great last year until he got hurt. Still young, great feet and decent size for a tackle, the sky's the limit. Eichenburg with his little T-Rex arms on the other hand, not sure he's NFL starting caliber.

Regarding AJ, my understanding was that we tried to move up in that draft for a couple of Tackles and couldn't. AJ himself was a project. A pure tools play. On a reasonably average team, he should have redshirted a year. Almost every OL needs a year to get stronger to deal with NFL level talent. Add in his age and bone marrow surgery and he was practically guaranteed to struggle. Throw in horrid coaching and it was a lock.

I don't agree that his technique is poor. It's not great, but it's at least average. His bigger issue was always awareness. He didn't seem to know what to do too often. But I put a ton of that on the coaching. I think that's why he looked so much better in the preseason and before getting injured last season. I would not be surprised at all if he proves to be a competent RT. I wouldn't put all my eggs in that basket, but it's a reasonable outcome.

Regarding Davis, I don't think he's particularly good as a NT taking on two blockers. At best I'd say he's inconsistent. As a one gapper, he's better but still inconsistent. Inconsistency was the knock in college too. I see him as a clear step down from Wilkins and Seiler and not a great fit for that NT slot that Fangio defenses covet. He'd have to show a lot more this season for us to not just let him walk after the season.
Yeah everyone complains about us not trading up in that draft but I remember reading that we tried to trade up with San Fran so we could get Wirfs but they didn’t want to drop past where Javon Kinlaw would still be available so they traded with TB instead.

And the real gut punch is SF didn’t even pick up Kinlaw’s 5th year option this offseason

A.J has his last chance this season.
Hopefully he shows why the G.M has so much confidence in him.
Davis hasn't really shown up consistently but is that due to the position he was playing last season.
Now with a seasoned proven D.C we will see.
Remember A.J hasn't really had great line coaching to help so as always I love in hope.

Looks at this side by side of AJ. Looks like the kid finally getting his head right. Oh wait it’s also a contract year. Coincidence? Personally I hate players like this because I don’t trust this type of dedication. Hope he has an amazing season for our sake, but I don’t want to resign him. Rather the comp pick. Tag could be an option, but def would not do something long term.

If thats how the front office really feels, they can draft a contract accordingly - just like they did Terron Armstead, our highest paid OL

Back
Top Bottom