Backup QB | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Backup QB

Carson Wentz sans contract
Definitely not Wentz. He will seek to undermine Tua from the moment that he signs. He has earned a reputation for being a total selfish prick who is difficult to coach. He's Philadelphia's massive problem, keep clear of him. BTW - in 2021 Carson Wentz carries a dead cap hit of $59,220,614.
If we seriously want to try to develop Tua, we don't throw him from an intelligent and high quality backup/mentor like Fitz to one of the most selfish QBs in the whole NFL. Coach Flo and GM Chris Grier have tried to build a "team first" culture and real progress was made, do you seriously want to jeopardize all of that? If Wentz was the answer, why did the Eagles go so far backwards this past season?

Last edited:
First a couple of general assumptions.

Flo is almost assuredly going to want a veteran in the QB room. It would also make sense from the standpoint that should Tua go down, even for just a few games, we would want someone who could come in and "hold the fort" so to speak.

I'm going to go ahead, and rule out drafting a rd1 QB. Not that I would have an issue with doing so, I just don't believe there is much chance of it happening.

Here is a list of FA QBs, and it ain't pretty.

It has always made sense, to me at least, that you want your back up to have a similar skill set, so the offense doesn't have to make wholesale changes, philosophically.

McCoy? Dalton? Barcley?

The FA list is ..........underwhelming

Trubisky might be an interesting choice.
First, we're talking backups. I expect less than 'good,' second, I suspect a backup good at mentoring and D diagnostics = no Newton types. Third, a guy content to be backup.

I have stated in another post that I think a backup QB is a priority this upcoming season. I want some one between 28 and 32 years of age. Old enough to have had on field experience and to have been through several different coaches. I also think that the salary would need to be less than or equal to Fitzpatrick's.

The names on the posted FA list that seem to fit for me are:

1) Robert Griffin III. His Diva days are far behind him and he seems to have accepted backup duties without causing problems
2) Blake Bortles. He has demonstrated an ability to play on the field and has been subject to several backup positions since his big flash.
3) Jake Rudock. I was surprised to find his name on this list, but we have used him in the past and is a known quantity to our organization.
4) Mitch Tubisky. He is a little young , probably too expensive and possibly un-accepting a role as backup QB. On the other hand, he can be an effective QB, to me something like Matt Moore was.

My preference would be to get Fitz back for a year or possibly two.

Trubisky and Went want to start and will get big $$$, no thanks.
Anyone will "want to start". Hell, Fitz wants to start.

As far as big money? I don't know about that, particularly with MT.

Flo is almost assuredly going to want a veteran in the QB room. It would also make sense from the standpoint that should Tua go down, even for just a few games, we would want someone who could come in and "hold the fort" so to speak.

I'm going to go ahead, and rule out drafting a rd1 QB. Not that I would have an issue with doing so, I just don't believe there is much chance of it happening.

It has always made sense, to me at least, that you want your back up to have a similar skill set, so the offense doesn't have to make wholesale changes, philosophically.

McCoy? Dalton? Barcley?

Tyrod Taylor is another one. I like the Trubisky idea.

McCoy? Dalton? Barcley?

Man none of these qbs are any good. We aint getting Dax lol.

Back
Top Bottom