Bad O-lines & Adversity: Ryan Tannehill vs Russell Wilson | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Bad O-lines & Adversity: Ryan Tannehill vs Russell Wilson

Have you ever thought that some of the sacks are Tannehill's fault. I was watching the game yesterday with a few people and we observed something which has happened a lot over the years. A lot of times your OL is only pushing the opposing player. They are not allowed to grab them when a rusher gets by them. So unless you face them head-on your only option is to keep pushing your opponent. The average QB steps up in the pocket and the OL pushes the player around the QB. Rivers did that several times yesterday. It comes almost completely natural. Tannehill on the other hand stands like a statue. It was very obvious yesterday on several plays when our left side kept pushing the opposing player in a straight line towards Tannehill. If Tannehill would have made a step forward that guy is pushed around him. It really looked bad for our OL. Yet, other QBs, like Rivers, Newton, Palmer, E Manning, make that natural step up which buys them another second or two.

That is the difference between a lot of other QBs and Tannehill - other QBs realize where the weakness is and adjust to it. And when you compare Tannehill to the Carr situation in Houston people are right. Carr didn't have that pocket presence either. We are now in the 4th year about this OL BS. Is our OL below average? Absolutely. But by just looking at Tannehill's presence in the pocket and looking at other QBs how the handle similar situations the OL is not the only fault here.

As has been noted several times before and again if you cannot see this then I don't know what to tell you. There must be a pocket to step up into there fella..... When we have three of the worst rated guards in the NFL that constantly get pushed back immediately then there is no pocket to step into. I always thought to myself these are the type of things even casual fans can spot pretty easily but apparently I'm wrong

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lol , same nonsense I used to hear about Kaepernick when he had one of the best defenses in the league .

Kaepernick was supposed to be the next coming and even went to a Super Bowl with ... Run game and defense .

Wilson = Kaepnerick

As soon as that defense is average to poor again

As has been noted several times before and again if you cannot see this then I don't know what to tell you. There must be a pocket to step up into there fella..... When we have three of the worst rated guards in the NFL that constantly get pushed back immediately then there is no pocket to step into. I always thought to myself these are the type of things even casual fans can spot pretty easily but apparently I'm wrong

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Exactly .....

Big difference between stepping up and avoiding a edge rusher that beats his man .. To ...

Having a DT plow over a guard and then you can't step into the pocket , and the RE and LE are running around the corner .

But hey .... They play madden .. And in madden it's not a big deal if you have two of the worst guards in the league , with a less than serviceable right tackle ....

The one big thing Wilson has over Tannehill is his pocket awareness. And that he's clutch

Wilson has been fortunate to have one of the best running backs/rushing attacks in the NFL, and also the best defense over the span of his career.

Not alluding that RT is anywhere near RW, but Seattle at least has a great defense and a great rushing offense to take some pressure off their QB.

That's two things, and those two things are generally what separates the mediocre QB's for the Elite ones, every QB in this league should be able to throw a decent ball now and again, but the football intelligence and ability to turn it on when it matters is what leads teams to victories.

The biggest problem with Thill for me is that the elements of his game that need work most are elements that I believe are at best very very hard to coach but in reality maybe things with even the greatest HC, OC and QB coach that he will never be able to improve.

Russell has the intangibles you want in a QB. Clutch, Awareness, and Leadership. Those aren't tangible stats. But if you want to compare tangible stats just do so from the last 5 games when both teams were 4-5 and the cards were stacked against them; it will tell you the whole story:

Wilson

20 TOT TDs (19 pass; 1 rush)
0 INTS
74.5% Comp.
1,420 Yards passing
147 yards rushing
5-0 WIN/LOSS

Tannehill

8 TOT TDs (7 pass; 1 rush)
2 INTS
55.66% Comp.
1,077 Yards passing
52 yards rushing
1-4 WIN/LOSS

Pretty stark contrast. Seattle's Defense has been lights out since losing to the Cards. Both the Dolphins and the Seahawks were 4-5 and the Seahawks found a way to rattle off 5 straight wins with Wilson posting historic numbers over a 5 game stretch to put his team at 9-5. Meanwhile, Tannehill is surrounded by every excuse known to man and the team has fallen to 5-9. Wilson has that switch that allows him to dig deeper than most players to make things happen in the face of adversity. Tannehill has failed to show that he has the same switch.

The big difference here is, the Seattle offense is designed to literally dance around this weakness: Wilson runs around the backfield to buy time and eventually finds a WR for big yards, because no secondary can cover that long. The reason they are able to do this is not Wilson's pocket awareness, but Wilson's unique ability to scramble. He can run around in the backfield for a looong time. Tannehill can't make defenders miss like Wilson can. Very few QBs can -and those few can't pass like Wilson can. Tannehill, meanwhile, is a pocket passer.

What bothers me is I'm sure all the bashers who posted in this thread are perfectly aware of this fact and they just don't care. They want results and they'll blame the most visible person first and ask questions later. Much, much, much later.

Russell Wilson is having one of the best 2nd halves of a season I've ever seen. Over the last 5 games he has 19 TDs and 0 INTs. His completion percentages in those 5 games are: 82.8, 70, 77.8, 71.9, and 70. In these last 5 games he's been sacked 7 times. In the 9 games prior he was sacked 33 times.

The entire team has turned it around. It's no coincidence Seattle hasn't lost in these last 5 games.

theoallofsredneckedwallabyjoeyinpouchbun-1.jpg

Hats off to you my friend, it takes a lot to say something about Tannehill here without getting bashed. For some reason Tannehill needs a pro bowl RB, a pro bowl WR, pro bowl TE and all 5 OL need to be pro bowlers for him to be successful. Tannehill is the first QB in NFL history who need everyone around him to be pro bowlers for him to be great. Get over it, no coach can save him! Did anyone notice his attempt of a hailmary pass that went out of bounce...lol wow no hope. With Tannehill there will never be a need for us to have speedy WRs because he will never connect consistantly with them.

One poster was so fervent in his defense of Tannehill that he asked if Tannehill is the reason for Ginn's failure. Oops. Except that Ginn was already gone before Tannehill got here. The Tannehill virus is real. :sidelol:

The adjusters have no comprehension of the 50% bar and where they are placing themselves when they apply the adjustments. It's dependable hilarity. Anyone who knocked Russell Wilson and made the comparisons to Tannehill was volunteering himself so far below the break even level it was beyond remarkable. As I've pointed out many times, that Bar Stool type relies primarily on the offseason, when naughty results don't get in the way and truth is anything you can adjust it to be.

But don't think they'll give up. Hardly. With that pathetic mindset the only cutoff valve is a Super Bowl championship including a runaway MVP award in that game. Anything else and they'll adjust themselves to correct. Look at that playoff interception. Tannehill never would have done that. Another season without winning a Super Bowl. Russell Wilson is awful, a product of his surroundings. It was priceless during the NFC Championship Game last season when that group delighted in mocking Wilson throughout the game, until Seattle pulled it out with a fourth quarter flurry and then a long winning touchdown pass in overtime. Whoops.

You'll notice that many of the adjusters are silent and absent right now, and have been for quite a while. I have some respect for them. At least they have far greater grasp of that 50% level than the ones who have continued to adjust and deny, adjust and deny...

One poster was so fervent in his defense of Tannehill that he asked if Tannehill is the reason for Ginn's failure. Oops. Except that Ginn was already gone before Tannehill got here. The Tannehill virus is real. :sidelol:

Actually Mr I dont follow the team that hard, I was making that statement because of the thread...what does Ginn have to do with the Dolphins? someone said Cam made Ginn better when in fact he hasnt...Ginn still has hands of stones, he just has been targeted more this season than in past seasons due to injuries to the Panthers WR core....so you throw to him more, he catches more but at the same time still has what 9 drops...I asked the question because again, how did Ginn and Tannehill have anything to do with each other? so..go back to not following this team casually...

Wilson
3538 yards 29 td's 7 int's
Tannehill
3529 yards 22 td's 11 ints

Not a huge disparity?

Rawls/Lunch
1247 yards 7 tds
Miller
781 yardss 7 tds

Seattles D
4231 yards allowed 248 points allowed
Miami's D
5555 yards allowed 361 points allowed

I admit Tannehill hasn't played great this year but I have a theory that it's due to him pressing as a result of poor performances of the team around him. Even with his poor performance it's not that out of line with the great Russell Wilson. I also have a theory that football is a team sport and that individual achievement is less important than team execution. Seeing how teams are wining with fitzpatrick, cousins, alex smith, and yates/weeden, I think Tannehill is more than enough QB to win in this league provided we surround him with a cohesive team.
Russell is completing 68.8 of his passes and Tannehill at 61.2 that's a huge disparity. Russell QB rating is 111.4 and Tannehill is at 87.3 that's a huge disparity. Russell is averaging 8.5 yards a throw and Tannehill is at 6.9 thats a huge disparity.

Russell is completing 68.8 of his passes and Tannehill at 61.2 that's a huge disparity. Russell QB rating is 111.4 and Tannehill is at 87.3 that's a huge disparity. Russell is averaging 8.5 yards a throw and Tannehill is at 6.9 thats a huge disparity.

The yards per throw thing is kind of mis leading though...when an offense is designed to use more screens and short routes it tends to blur those stats....

I really don't care what other people think about Russell Wilson....The guy is awesome bottom line.

Easily a top 10 QB and that not open for debate.

Tannehide has been held back so badly here and it's not funny....I can't stand ****ty as Owners,Coaches and players.This is exactly what Miami has.Unlike Seattles OrginizationThis is the greatest difference in the growth of these 2 QBS.

Back
Top Bottom