Baker wants to be a dolphin | Page 10 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Baker wants to be a dolphin

damn I was an 8th of an inch off...it's going to effect him...doesn't come from a pro style offense

late 1 early 2 I'd say

Good measurements for Mayfield -- 6-0 3/8 and 9 1/2 inch hands. He would have earned more skepticism if either number had fallen below the respective Mendoza Line.

Of all the comparisons being thrown around I have to say Allen as Roethlisberger is the one I don't get at all. Roethlisberger always displayed very impressive touch and accuracy at Miami-Ohio. During his final 26 games in college he had exactly one below the 56% level that is Allen's career norm, and most of Roethlisberger's games in that two-year stretch were in the mid 60s or higher. His completion percentage was 65.5% for his college career.

Allen is a gamble on greatness and adjustments and patience. Roethlisberger was already very close to a finished product, as his bowl game against Louisville demonstrated. I still don't understand how he slipped so comparatively far when that game was on the plate. I remember rooting for him to somehow fall into a range where the Dolphins might trade up for him, but since we already made the brilliant commitment to A. J. Feeley we didn't have the ammo or interest.

Roethlisberger was so pro-ready he had the best rookie season of any quarterback since Marino, at 8.9 YPA. In fact, he was 8.9 YPA each of his first two seasons. I don't think even Josh Allen's most ardent supporters would propose anything similar for him. He's likely to be baffled and erratic out there. Actually I have a feeling that's why some Tannehill fans don't mind the Allen selection as they would some others at the position. They realize Allen won't be ready so it buys plenty of time for Tannehill, but if Allen does fully deliver then it's a more lofty level than Tannehill is capable of.

I also don't like Rosen as Rodgers. Rosen is a frail and self-protective type. Rodgers at Cal had the weird Tedford ball position and defaulted to short passes all the time, too much for my liking. But Rodgers had movement skills and unquestionable moxie.

Imo the Big Ben comp relates to nimbleness in the pocket for very large QB's, escapability, ability to think on their feet and improvise and to turn broken plays into positive plays. That's all good stuff, but it doesn't extend to overall accuracy or touch, and Josh Allen comes up short to Big Ben in those regards as per their college careers.

Baker will be a Money-Maker for the Dolphins.

His winning and excitement brings more fans to the stadium. This will increase the number of season ticket-holders and overall revenue to the Dolphins.

Ross and Tannenbaum will love this. It's good business decision.

Mayfield = WINNING + MONEY

Can we at least wait for the off-season before we start these off-season crap threads?

You know what..

**** it Miami let’s draft a qb and pray for greatness. Allen, Mayfield and Jackson. Anyone of those 3 **** it.

What do the Dolphins, Bills and Jets have in common since the Patriots drafted Tom Brady? Well, to begin with, none of those teams have had a top 10 caliber quarterback.

Ryan Tannehill has had his moments. So has Tyrod Taylor. But they are a far cry from Brady.

I know Trent Dilfer won a super bowl with Baltimore and Jeff Hostetler did the same with the Giants. But those are really aberrations.

The recent super bowl winning quarterbacks are guys who will eventually be Hall of Famers, which leads me to this. Miami should deal up for Baker Mayfield.

Mayfield is most often compared to Russell Wilson, but I see some Bret Favre in his game. He plays with contagious energy and excitement something Miami's offense needs.

I would hate to be chasing the Jets for 15 years if they end up with an elite quarterback. Picking at #11 Miami is in a good spot to trade up and make it happen. You can't chase the best teams in the league with an average quarterback.

What do the Dolphins, Bills and Jets have in common since the Patriots drafted Tom Brady? Well, to begin with, none of those teams have had a top 10 caliber quarterback.

Ryan Tannehill has had his moments. So has Tyrod Taylor. But they are a far cry from Brady.

I know Trent Dilfer won a super bowl with Baltimore and Jeff Hostetler did the same with the Giants. But those are really aberrations.

The recent super bowl winning quarterbacks are guys who will eventually be Hall of Famers, which leads me to this. Miami should deal up for Baker Mayfield.

Mayfield is most often compared to Russell Wilson, but I see some Bret Favre in his game. He plays with contagious energy and excitement something Miami's offense needs.

I would hate to be chasing the Jets for 15 years if they end up with an elite quarterback. Picking at #11 Miami is in a good spot to trade up and make it happen. You can't chase the best teams in the league with an average quarterback.

How many QBs drafted since Brady? How many were/are elite? How many were projected as elite? That said, no moving up for ANY position.

I like Tannehill.

I like Gase.

If Gase thinks he can win with Tannehill then by all means try, but I also won’t hate the team if they draft a qb at 11 in hope that the kid is legit and that helps the team immensely more than any other pick.

If they love Allen, or Mayfield then take them even tho I think too 15 is to high for them, but I also dot study these kids like teams do.

I can't wait until the freaking draft is over and done with already.

Can we go just one day without a thread started with a clandestine intention.....to put down our QB.
Don't get me wrong. I like Tannehill and have been very supportive of him, but if you can upgrade at a critical position why not?

Here's what's amazing to me. So many people think that when Brady quits playing then we'll be able to win because Brady and BB is the "reason" we can't win. That's such BS. The pats have won 12 games each of the last 8 years. In those 8 years we've never won 12 and most years we haven't even won 10. It's not like every year we're the 2nd best team in the NFL but just can't beat NE. We've been bad because we've been bad. It's not just the QB position but our team as a whole has been "built" the wrong way. Before we can say that "once Brady and BB leave" we'll be fine, we need to actually have a good team in place ourselves

Ozzy rules!!

Here's what's amazing to me. So many people think that when Brady quits playing then we'll be able to win because Brady and BB is the "reason" we can't win. That's such BS. The pats have won 12 games each of the last 8 years. In those 8 years we've never won 12 and most years we haven't even won 10. It's not like every year we're the 2nd best team in the NFL but just can't beat NE. We've been bad because we've been bad. It's not just the QB position but our team as a whole has been "built" the wrong way. Before we can say that "once Brady and BB leave" we'll be fine, we need to actually have a good team in place ourselves

Ozzy rules!!
Yep. So many guys on here acting like it’s the Bills/Dolphins rivalry of the early 90s. In 1990, for example, the last time the Dolphins won 12 games, the Bills trumped them by winning 13, and then knocking them out of the playoffs in Buffalo (or 1992, when the teams split the regular season games but the Dolphins were overmatched in the AFC championship). At least that rivalry was relatively close. The Dolphins haven’t been close to this Patriots dynasty since 2001-2003, and 2003 cemented them as the winners and left the Dolphins to crash and burn for over a decade now.

The current Dolphins have their hands full with the Bills and Jets of the league. The Patriots could get significantly worse and still win the division over the Dolphins easily.

Some interesting developments in NY. Seems like ownership wants to ride ELI Manning. If this is the case, a QB may indeed fall to #11.

Please, please, please stop this nonsense. If it was so damned easy to spot future HOF QBs, then why do so many teams lack one despite all the QB's that get drafted year in and year out?

Or to put it another way, in the first part of your post, you make the case that Brady is unique and that superior QB play is hard to find. Then you proceed to suggest that it's obvious that if Miami would only trade up to get Mayfield, who is just like Wilson except slower (so not like Wilson) and you see Favre who with his gunslinger attitude set interception records, we're set.

There are 10's of threads here that have lists of QBs taken over the last 10 or 15 years and you can go count how many worked out. And every draft has one or two QB's that are identified as "sure fire will turn the world on it's ear great", yet most of them aren't starters or even playing.

Back
Top Bottom