Barrett to Dolphins | Page 7 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Barrett to Dolphins

why the ghost of shaq barrett, instead of just keeping van ginkel, who we actually know? i dont understand this one
The answer (which I suspect you're not actually looking for, because you seem far more interested in b*tching and moaning about every move this team makes) was already answered by another poster in this very thread:

AVG got 14m guaranteed... plus 6 more available if he plays a second year.

Barrett's contract hasn't been listed yet, but it is probably 6-7m with incentives that he probably won't get.

Realistically, the AVG contract is about double the one we handed out.

This is the type of signing that makes sense, the type I mentioned the other day. Pick up talented guys coming off a down year, instead of getting suckered by good players who recently performed at unsustainable level.

Solid high character guy instead of a junior high buffoon.

Also this is an example why nobody should condemn players for leaving. Such a short shelf live. Prime at 28 and over the hill at 31.

The problem with signing 31 year olds is that you're forced to make sharp decisions every year. Too much requirement to win subjectively versus the league, as the 49ers have done. Grier simply isn't that caliber.

Barrett always looked good at Colorado State. Wiry active tough. I've followed that region for 40 years. I didn't understand why he went undrafted in the first place, nor why he wasn't used full time by the Broncos despite always flashing when he was out there. You've got to say that signing by Tampa Bay was one of the astute moves in recent NFL history, given that Barrett was already established on the defense and at peak when Brady and Co. arrived.

1 year deal, lower cap number, less guaranteed money….

And maybe his family wanted to be closer to home as I heard on WQAM that his wife alluded to on social media.
i dont care about what his family wants i care about what the best player is for this team. and what is wrong with having van ginkel for the 2-3 years he got? that is better to have a good player for longer. if the player is good, you want him for longer.

The answer (which I suspect you're not actually looking for, because you seem far more interested in b*tching and moaning about every move this team makes) was already answered by another poster in this very thread:
I am learning you people are nuts and try to justify everything the team does. Who cares if Barrett was slightly cheaper. YAY! I am interested in the team being good, and keeping our good players here. Thank you. Baby

I am learning you people are nuts and try to justify everything the team does. Who cares if Barrett was slightly cheaper. YAY! I am interested in the team being good, and keeping our good players here. Thank you. Baby
I don't like every move the team makes. I think it's more than fair to criticise decisions. I've just never seen a post from you that wasn't all doom and gloom. And I don't seem to be the only one who's picked up on your MO.

Personally, I would have loved to see AVG retained, but we weren't matching the contract he got for a rotational pass rusher. Wasn't going to happen. And wouldn't have been smart, either.

The Fins are up against the cap this year. It is what it is. We were never going to be big players in FA, because we've already amassed our core group of players: Tua/Hill/Waddle/Achane on O; Phillips/Chubb/Ramsey/Holland on D.

I've actually been pleasantly surprised with FA so far. Knew Wilkins and Hunt were on their way out, and if you thought otherwise, you were deluding yourself. Thought the TE pickup was great, excited to add an athletic C that fits our scheme like a glove and doesn't seem to have a problem actually snapping the ball, and we've totally remade our LB corps.

I don't like every move the team makes. I think it's more than fair to criticise decisions. I've just never seen a post from you that wasn't all doom and gloom. And I don't seem to be the only one who's picked up on your MO.

Personally, I would have loved to see AVG retained, but we weren't matching the contract he got for a rotational pass rusher. Wasn't going to happen. And wouldn't have been smart, either.

The Fins are up against the cap this year. It is what it is. We were never going to be big players in FA, because we've already amassed our core group of players: Tua/Hill/Waddle/Achane on O; Phillips/Chubb/Ramsey/Holland on D.

I've actually been pleasantly surprised with FA so far. Knew Wilkins and Hunt were on their way out, and if you thought otherwise, you were deluding yourself. Thought the TE pickup was great, excited to add an athletic C that fits our scheme like a glove and doesn't seem to have a problem actually snapping the ball, and we've totally remade our LB corps.
And that was only day 1...LOL...still got plenty of Free Agency left and the draft. And I love the UDFA we seem to always pick up.

Van Ginkel wasn't asking for 5 million with incentives.
No, but the yearly cap difference isn't that much. Also, Ginkel would have taken less to stay here considering the income tax differences.

Also, honestly, we could have used them both.

Performance steadily declining, hence he was cut because his performance was not worth his salary and cap figure. Sound familiar?
Last year the drop off could of been related to the Achilles tear

This year could be a better more explosive athlete even at 31

i dont care about what his family wants i care about what the best player is for this team. and what is wrong with having van ginkel for the 2-3 years he got? that is better to have a good player for longer. if the player is good, you want him for longer.

Maybe he cares…. And his family cares?

1710272106602.gif

The Dolphins weren’t going to sign AVG because they view him as a backup to Phillips and Chubb. These are the players they view as the long term starters as their outside LB’s.

AVG was looking for a longer term contract than one year. Barrett was signed for one year because right now the Dolphins realize they need a player who can come in and play until Chubb and Phillips are healthy enough to get back on the field.

The Dolphins would have probably been very happy to sign AVG to another one year contract but they didn’t want to sign him for 3 years at $30 million because as I pointed out, they view him as a backup and not a starter and you don’t give a backup that type of money over three years.

I believe AVG can be a solid starter for the Vikings but with Phillips and Chubb eventually returning, it wasn’t in the cards for him to resign with the Dolphins. Grier understood this reality and that’s why he signed Barrett for just one year.

Back
Top Bottom