Barrett to Dolphins | Page 8 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Barrett to Dolphins

No, but the yearly cap difference isn't that much. Also, Ginkel would have taken less to stay here considering the income tax differences.

Also, honestly, we could have used them both.

How do you know AVG was willing to take less money? You know the no state income tax thing only takes effect where games are played?

Really not sure why you guys are acting like Shaq Barrett is 70 years old. He is 31 and was really good last year. He had a $15 million bonus coming up. Nobody gives a 31 year old a $15 million bonus.

How do you know AVG was willing to take less money? You know the no state income tax thing only takes effect where games are played?
But there's still savings...

So same salary with Vikings and Miami, player brings home more in Miami.

But there's still savings...

So same salary with Vikings and Miami, player brings home more in Miami.

But there is no evidence whatsoever that it would be the same salary.

Plus you are ignoring contract length.

After you've got a few million being close to family can mean a lot. Miami is pretty far from Minnesoata and Wisconcsin.

If you are talking about state tax savings, what about real estate, flood insurance and sales tax savings???

I don't like every move the team makes. I think it's more than fair to criticise decisions. I've just never seen a post from you that wasn't all doom and gloom. And I don't seem to be the only one who's picked up on your MO.

Personally, I would have loved to see AVG retained, but we weren't matching the contract he got for a rotational pass rusher. Wasn't going to happen. And wouldn't have been smart, either.

The Fins are up against the cap this year. It is what it is. We were never going to be big players in FA, because we've already amassed our core group of players: Tua/Hill/Waddle/Achane on O; Phillips/Chubb/Ramsey/Holland on D.

I've actually been pleasantly surprised with FA so far. Knew Wilkins and Hunt were on their way out, and if you thought otherwise, you were deluding yourself. Thought the TE pickup was great, excited to add an athletic C that fits our scheme like a glove and doesn't seem to have a problem actually snapping the ball, and we've totally remade our LB corps.
One more false construct and narrative.
The positive/negative thing is absurd, a false construct, and just an excuse to avoid admitting certain things.
I try to be objective and follow the data.
Here is an example of a "positive" post from me that people conveniently forget about. There have been many:
https://finheaven.com/threads/brock...insight-into-the-skepticism-about-tua.381404/
I call em like I see em. When it is good I say so, and when it is bad I say so. SCOREBOARD! There are wins and there are losses. Period.
When things suck, saying they are good does not make things better.
Wearing Dolphins footie pajamas and waving pom poms will not make the team win more games.
The entire South Florida media is panning what has happened, much more than me. You know how hard it is for those guys to do that, when their business model is selling hope.
Yet everything around here is rainbows and show ponies and I am some kind of asshole for stating what should be obvious.

The Dolphins weren’t going to sign AVG because they view him as a backup to Phillips and Chubb. These are the players they view as the long term starters as their outside LB’s.

AVG was looking for a longer term contract than one year. Barrett was signed for one year because right now the Dolphins realize they need a player who can come in and play until Chubb and Phillips are healthy enough to get back on the field.

The Dolphins would have probably been very happy to sign AVG to another one year contract but they didn’t want to sign him for 3 years at $30 million because as I pointed out, they view him as a backup and not a starter and you don’t give a backup that type of money over three years.

I believe AVG can be a solid starter for the Vikings but with Phillips and Chubb eventually returning, it wasn’t in the cards for him to resign with the Dolphins. Grier understood this reality and that’s why he signed Barrett for just one year.
1). I don’t agree with declining to match Minnesota’s two-year, $20 million offer for Andrew Van Ginkel and instead signing aging Shaq Barrett. Van Ginkel is three years younger and was the better player in every measurable metric last season.

Read more at: https://www.miamiherald.com/sports/...y-jackson/article286107201.html#storylink=cpy

But there is no evidence whatsoever that it would be the same salary.

Plus you are ignoring contract length.

After you've got a few million being close to family can mean a lot. Miami is pretty far from Minnesoata and Wisconcsin.

If you are talking about state tax savings, what about real estate, flood insurance and sales tax savings???
I don't even know what you mean by "no evidence whatsoever that it would be the same salary." There's no evidence the Dolphins offered him any contract. I'm just speaking in generalities here, that no income tax is a draw and players have taken less in no income tax states, because it's the same or more than living in other places.

I'd more more than happy to have Gink for two seasons. Uprooting your immediate family and pulling kids out of school/away from their friends is a much bigger deal.

You're not making any sense.

So you are speaking theoretical generalities, not what real world.

Ok, I'd be taller if I were taller.

I don't track your last paragraph at all. Is that pro for MN or a con??? I don't think he has any school age kids.

You're not making any sense.

So you are speaking theoretical generalities, not what real world.

Ok, I'd be taller if I were taller.

I don't track your last paragraph at all. Is that pro for MN or a con??? I don't think he has any school age kids.
It's the real world the same salary in Miami is more in your pocket than the same salary in Minnesota.

Moving your immediate family and kids is much harder. So that would be a pro for staying in Miami.

Back
Top Bottom