BCS is shaping up.... | Page 9 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

BCS is shaping up....

MikeO said:
I don't have a problem with it. But if a Big East team is 1 of only 2 unbeaten teams they gotta play for it all. and be in that final game OR......throw the Big East out of the BCS totally.

Ya can't have it both ways!!!!!!!! It must be one or the other. You can't have them IN the BCS but then say if you go unbeaten it doesn't count and you can't play for it all. That isn't right. Either throw them OUT or treat them the same way you treat every other school.

Exactly, if a major conference team runs the table they should be able to play for the championship. If Louisville and Rutgers both end up with one loss than their is really no fair way of determining who should play the winner of Michigan/OSU. If it's close than the loser has a claim but say if it's Michigan why do they get to play if conference champ Texas wins out? The Sec is the best conference and if they've got a 1 loss team don't they deserve to have a shot? If Usc runs the table which would end up with beating Oregon/Cal/ND why don't they deserve a chance? Even Cal has an arguement. Fans may not want to see Lousiville/Mich/OSU but that opens up a bunch of scenarios where alot of teams can make a legitimate claim. I didn't even mention Notre Dame either. Right now I think the potential spoilers are Rutgers and A&M

Ronnieisabeast said:
Yeah I agree (even though I think your an OSU fan) Michigan and Ohio State are the best best teams. The loser of that team should still be in the national championship. Both teams have played more then one good team.

Who are the other good teams they've played?

Outside of UT OSU has played:

Northern Illinois(5-4)
Cincinnati(5-4)
Penn State(6-3)
Iowa(6-3)
Bowling Green(4-5)
Mich State(4-5)
Indiana(5-4)
Minnesota(3-6)

Not one of those teams is currently ranked. yeah that's a rough sched:lol:

Outside of ND(who itself is overrated) Mich has played:

Vanderbilt(4-5)
Central Michigan(5-3)
Wisconsin(8-1, only decent team they have played but of course their 8-1 record is so b/c of the creampuff sched they have played. their biggest win is over 5-4 Indiana)
Minnesota(3-6)
Mich State(4-5)
Penn State(6-3)
Iowa(6-3)
Northwestern(2-7)

Average record for OSU opponents outside of UT: 4.75-4.25
Average record for Mich opponents outside of ND: 4.75-4.125

UF Fin Kat said:
i hope either michigan or OSU blows out the other team just so i don't have to hear all this rematch nonsense.

:yeahthat:

UF Fin Kat said:
i hope either michigan or OSU blows out the other team just so i don't have to hear all this rematch nonsense.

The fact that we have to hope for this scenario to happen is a reason to get rid of the system all together. Florida has played a ruff schedule to say the least . . . and what? they lost @ Auburn . . . if they win out and win the SEC championship, I'm sorry they deserve to be in the title game . . . even over a unbeaten Louiville team.

However, with the current system . . . if Louville goes unbeaten and they are 1 of 2 unbeatens in a major conference, u have to have them in the national title game . . just wouldn't be fair. The BCS doesn't work, how can a team with a lights out schedule and 1 loss not even be given an oppurtunity to win it all, especially over a team who has had a fairly easy schedule and doesn't have a conference title game to deal with. There needs to be a playoff . . . top 8 teams or whatever . . . 3 week tourney to decide it all. Something has gotta give with having to have certain things happen to make it seem like the BCS got it right . . . and last year they got it right . . . but it should have been cancelled the year Auburn and that monster schedule got denied BCS title game access.

there's never going to be a playoff. and getting rid of the BCS would just go back to the old system, which was even more unpredictable and ridiculous and rarely matched up a #1 vs. #2. and the BCS has done that just about every year.

Kdawg954 said:
The fact that we have to hope for this scenario to happen is a reason to get rid of the system all together. Florida has played a ruff schedule to say the least . . . and what? they lost @ Auburn . . . if they win out and win the SEC championship, I'm sorry they deserve to be in the title game . . . even over a unbeaten Louiville team.

:yeahthat: :hi5:

I'm keeping my fingers crossed!

UF Fin Kat said:
there's never going to be a playoff. and getting rid of the BCS would just go back to the old system, which was even more unpredictable and ridiculous and rarely matched up a #1 vs. #2. and the BCS has done that just about every year.

That is true . . . hell I remember in 2000 when Miami beat FSU later in the season but lost by like 5 points to high ranked Wasington, at Washington, earlier in the season, and at the end of the season FSU was 2nd and Miami was 3rd. So the Canes got left out of the title game . . . made no sense. Would just kill any contreversy IMO if they got a 8 game playoff. Take the top teams from each conference and throw in 2 wild cards and roll with it, something of that nature.

Definetly don't wanna go back to the old system (Nebraska number one so they get to play in the Orange Bowl, but Penn St. number 2 but since they are a Big 10 team, they HAVE to play in the Rose Bowl.) That system was silly to say the least. But they need to upgrade this system . . . definetly

nyjunc said:
Who are the other good teams they've played?

Outside of UT OSU has played:

Northern Illinois(5-4)
Cincinnati(5-4)
Penn State(6-3)
Iowa(6-3)
Bowling Green(4-5)
Mich State(4-5)
Indiana(5-4)
Minnesota(3-6)

Not one of those teams is currently ranked. yeah that's a rough sched:lol:

Outside of ND(who itself is overrated) Mich has played:

Vanderbilt(4-5)
Central Michigan(5-3)
Wisconsin(8-1, only decent team they have played but of course their 8-1 record is so b/c of the creampuff sched they have played. their biggest win is over 5-4 Indiana)
Minnesota(3-6)
Mich State(4-5)
Penn State(6-3)
Iowa(6-3)
Northwestern(2-7)

Average record for OSU opponents outside of UT: 4.75-4.25
Average record for Mich opponents outside of ND: 4.75-4.125

2 thing: 1- Penn State is ranked #24 currently I believe(but they are an average team).

2- I said this was not a good year for the Big Ten, as far as quality teams go, and some people wouldn't hear that. So I don't know how well your analyisis will hold up, though I agree completely with it.

Frisches13283 said:
2 thing: 1- Penn State is ranked #24 currently I believe(but they are an average team).

2- I said this was not a good year for the Big Ten, as far as quality teams go, and some people wouldn't hear that. So I don't know how well your analyisis will hold up, though I agree completely with it.

Penn State is not currently ranked.

http://sports.yahoo.com/ncaaf/polls

Kdawg954 said:

However, with the current system . . . if Louville goes unbeaten and they are 1 of 2 unbeatens in a major conference, u have to have them in the national title game . . just wouldn't be fair. The BCS doesn't work, how can a team with a lights out schedule and 1 loss not even be given an oppurtunity to win it all, especially over a team who has had a fairly easy schedule and doesn't have a conference title game to deal with. There needs to be a playoff . . . top 8 teams or whatever . . . 3 week tourney to decide it all. Something has gotta give with having to have certain things happen to make it seem like the BCS got it right . . . and last year they got it right . . . but it should have been cancelled the year Auburn and that monster schedule got denied BCS title game access.

A major conference unbeaten deserves to play for the title over a one loss team. If their are 3 unbeaten teams you've got an arguement but they've gotta reward a team for running the table in a major conference. If Rutgers wins the Big East and goes undefeated they've got as much claim as Louisville or WVU would have had. If a 1-loss team was taken ahead of an undefeated Louisville why Florida and not USC or Texas? USC closes with Oregon/Cal/ND/UCLA wouldn't they have the same arguement as a 1-loss Florida?

Mich is playing another big time team today- ball State and they are struggling again w/ a bad team. yeah this is a top 2 team:shakeno:

nyjunc said:
Mich is playing another big time team today- ball State and they are struggling again w/ a bad team. yeah this is a top 2 team:shakeno:

8pt lead with 8 min to go. Ball St coming on strong here.

And Iowa is losing. And that other Big 10 team having a good year Indiana is getting killed.

Big 10 blows!!!!

Back
Top Bottom