Beck's Odds Are Not So Good | Page 7 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Beck's Odds Are Not So Good

Well, Trent Dilfer won a SB and his career wasn't all that special, he was also a first round pick btw. Jeff Hostetler won the SB and he wasn't exactly Dan Marino. The same with Mark Rypien, Doug Williams, Brad Johnson, etc etc. Football is a team game, sure having a great QB makes it easier, but sometimes having a very good one will do as well.

I agree with most of what you said, but not this.

With all the new rules, this league is quickly becoming a pass-first league. I think the days of 'defense' wins championships are over. Of course you need a good D to win, but offense is just as important, if not more.

Well again, where a player is chosen has no bearing on how well he'll do in the NFL. We could take it further and do a breakdown of where RB's are selected, where WR's are selected, where LB's are selected and we'll draw the same conclusion. Football is a team sport, using this statistic is silly and shortsighted and it's a way for people to either trash John Beck or make a case that Ryan needs to be our choice at #1.

Well, Trent Dilfer won a SB and his career wasn't all that special, he was also a first round pick btw. Jeff Hostetler won the SB and he wasn't exactly Dan Marino. The same with Mark Rypien, Doug Williams, Brad Johnson, etc etc. Football is a team game, sure having a great QB makes it easier, but sometimes having a very good one will do as well.

Agreed, that's why I'm excited about the fact that Parcells and Co. are looking at guys like Flacco and Henne in the later rounds.

Again, I find this statistic silly because there are plenty of examples that prove just the opposite.

Brett Favre? He was a 2nd rounder.

Heath Shuler? He was a 1st rounder.

Where was Zach drafted? Jason Taylor? Sam Madison? Pat Surtain? Chambers? Porter? Satele?

Draft position doesn't make or break a player, their talent and ability to play in the NFL does.

You've obviously never researched it, and Doug Williams
was a first rounder.

The following are threads started by CKParrothead and myself concerning this very subject that are 3 years old, bear in mind when reading the numbers, that the last 3 Superbowls were in fact won by first round QB's.

CK's thread:

http://www.dolphinsnation.com/forums/showthread.php?t=113644&highlight=quarterbacks+drafted+round

BlueFin's thread:

http://www.dolphinsnation.com/forums/showthread.php?t=62274&highlight=quarterbacks+drafted+round

This thread is no different then the 1000's of RONNIE BROWN IS A BUST!!?!?!?!?!?!? threads. Its pointless to judge anything this early no matter how right you think you are your still wrong. In 3 years or if he is given a full year to play then maybe I will listen until then nope...

I can't comment on the intention of the original poster (whether he's a "Beck hater" or not), but I think this thread is very relevant. "Beck's odds are not so good" --> the majority of 2nd round picks fail. You can replace "Beck" with any other name, and the statement is still basically correct.

dlockz research showed the following for QB's.
43 percent of first rounders have 75 rating or above
28 percent of second rounders have rating 75 or above

These are consistent with what I have seen from other research in terms of overall success for any position (QB or other).

Probability is just that, a chance. If Beck is in the 28% group, we are golden. Just not sure that we can count on yet, given what we have seen (which isn't much). I am not advocating drafting Ryan. I do feel he is a better prospect than Beck, but not worth a top 5 or top 10 pick (maybe a mid 1st rounder).

BTW, as a Cap fan, I love your sig.

I can't comment on the intention of the original poster (whether he's a "Beck hater" or not), but I think this thread is very relevant. "Beck's odds are not so good" --> the majority of 2nd round picks fail. You can replace "Beck" with any other name, and the statement is still basically correct.

dlockz research showed the following for QB's.
43 percent of first rounders have 75 rating or above
28 percent of second rounders have rating 75 or above

These are consistent with what I have seen from other research in terms of overall success for any position (QB or other).

Probability is just that, a chance. If Beck is in the 28% group, we are golden. Just not sure that we can count on yet, given what we have seen (which isn't much). I am not advocating drafting Ryan. I do feel he is a better prospect than Beck, but not worth a top 5 or top 10 pick (maybe a mid 1st rounder).

BTW, as a Cap fan, I love your sig.

Yea I wasn't meaning to really bash the original intent of this thread but what it has turned into more is what I am saying. Some people just shoot a guy down with no valid reason and its very annoying since we went through the same stuff with Ronnie.

Who cares about what the stats say if a qb has talent and is surrounded by a good team then he's going to succeed no matter where he was drafted...

You've obviously never researched it, and Doug Williams
was a first rounder.
Oh, I have. As soon as I saw the first post in this thread I remembered back to the last few drafts and took into account where players were drafted. Then I went to the net to look up the actual drafts from round 1-4 for the last 10 years and I also did a search for some of the bigger names to play QB in the NFL. And using commonsense along with the info that I gathered I came to the same conclusion that I had after reading the 1st post in this thread.....bunk.

Doug Williams was listed in my post with other QB's that were good but not special "franchise" QB's that everyone here has been talking about. Yes he won a SB, but so did Dilfer and neither player would be confused with Peyton Manning or Tom Brady. Williams and Dilfer were servicable Qb's for most of their career, but not worth the 1st rounder it took to get them. They won a SB because they were surrounded by talented players.....football is a team game.

The following are threads started by CKParrothead and myself concerning this very subject that are 3 years old, bear in mind when reading the numbers, that
CK's thread:

http://www.dolphinsnation.com/forums/showthread.php?t=113644&highlight=quarterbacks+drafted+round

BlueFin's thread:

http://www.dolphinsnation.com/forums/showthread.php?t=62274&highlight=quarterbacks+drafted+round
Okay, now go ask Chris if he thinks Miami should give up on Beck and draft Matt Ryan at #1, his answer would be a resounding "No". The whole premise of this argument is to paint Beck as a bust and make a case for Ryan at #1 and Quinn at #1 last year, this thread was spawned from another thread that was going in that "Beck is a bust" direction. Chris also created his thread in '05 when our QB outlook was bleek, things are different today.

the last 3 Superbowls were in fact won by first round QB's.
You also fail to mention that two out of those 3 years the opposing QB was not a 1st rounder and that since 2000 non 1st rounders have played in more SB's than players who were picked in the 1st round 10-8, with 2 of those QB's going undrafted (Warner, Delhomme). Think about that for a second, they made it to a total of 3 SB's and they weren't even drafted. Heck, the best player in the NFL and the guy who has appeared in 4 SB's wasn't even chosen until the 6th round......once again proving that draft position is not an indicator of talent and/or future success.

With all the new rules, this league is quickly becoming a pass-first league. I think the days of 'defense' wins championships are over. Of course you need a good D to win, but offense is just as important, if not more.

:lol: your right, if it wasn't for that awesome output by the Giants Offense they would've lost. Seriously now that was all the Giants Defense that won that game. How can you say that Great defense to create the win is Obsolete. One thing my coach always told me when I played defense "they can't win if they don't score!"

Oh, I have. As soon as I saw the first post in this thread I remembered back to the last few drafts and took into account where players were drafted. Then I went to the net to look up the actual drafts from round 1-4 for the last 10 years and I also did a search for some of the bigger names to play QB in the NFL. And using commonsense along with the info that I gathered I came to the same conclusion that I had after reading the 1st post in this thread.....bunk.

Doug Williams was listed in my post with other QB's that were good but not special "franchise" QB's that everyone here has been talking about. Yes he won a SB, but so did Dilfer and neither player would be confused with Peyton Manning or Tom Brady. Williams and Dilfer were servicable Qb's for most of their career, but not worth the 1st rounder it took to get them. They won a SB because they were surrounded by talented players.....football is a team game.

Okay, now go ask Chris if he thinks Miami should give up on Beck and draft Matt Ryan at #1, his answer would be a resounding "No". The whole premise of this argument is to paint Beck as a bust and make a case for Ryan at #1 and Quinn at #1 last year, this thread was spawned from another thread that was going in that "Beck is a bust" direction. Chris also created his thread in '05 when our QB outlook was bleek, things are different today.

You also fail to mention that two out of those 3 years the opposing QB was not a 1st rounder and that since 2000 non 1st rounders have played in more SB's than players who were picked in the 1st round 10-8, with 2 of those QB's going undrafted (Warner, Delhomme). Think about that for a second, they made it to a total of 3 SB's and they weren't even drafted. Heck, the best player in the NFL and the guy who has appeared in 4 SB's wasn't even chosen until the 6th round......once again proving that draft position is not an indicator of talent and/or future success.

Dude, you can think whatever you want, but that doesn't make you right and it doesn't debunk the statistical facts. 23-42 Superbowls have been won by first round quarterbacks.

The 1st round contains now 32 picks, all the other rounds and undrafted free agents amounts to well over 200, and yet QB's from the 1st round have won most of the superbowls.

The other factor is the rules changes which have emphasized the throwing game, allowing receivers to run free, having a quarterback who can make plays is critical now more than ever.

The two Superbowl era's in Dolphin history were led by Dolphin quarterbacks drafted in round 1.

None of this is suggesting that a quarterback from anywhere can't make it, were talking about probabilities here.

Yes, there are the rare examples of the Tom Brady's or Joe Montana's, I think thread starter was showing the higher probability of the failure of QB's drafted in round 2, where Beck was taken.

You can be in denial about this all you want, if you truly ever do an analysis,(and I know you haven't by what you say, 10 years is not enough), you will find out your wrong.

And again, none of my argument has anything to do with suggesting John Beck is a bust, nor was Chris's, I have no need to go ask him, because I know, like myself, he realizes its too early to pass judgment on Beck.

Beck has nothing to do with statistical fact, hopefully he will be one of the exceptions from that much smaller percentage that DOES make it, not being drafted in the first round.

You make a great point, also bear in mind DILFER WAS A FIRST ROUND PICK.

However, the Ravens also had one of the top three defenses in history.

I think its ridiculous to suggest that its ok to have a mediocre quarterback, using a team with one of the most dominating defenses in history as your example of why.:up:

Dude, you can think whatever you want, but that doesn't make you right and it doesn't debunk the statistical facts. 23-42 Superbowls have been won by first round quarterbacks.

The 1st round contains now 32 picks, all the other rounds and undrafted free agents amounts to well over 200, and yet QB's from the 1st round have won most of the superbowls.

The other factor is the rules changes which have emphasized the throwing game, allowing receivers to run free, having a quarterback who can make plays is critical now more than ever.

The two Superbowl era's in Dolphin history were led by Dolphin quarterbacks drafted in round 1.

None of this is suggesting that a quarterback from anywhere can't make it, were talking about probabilities here.

Yes, there are the rare examples of the Tom Brady's or Joe Montana's, I think thread starter was showing the higher probability of the failure of QB's drafted in round 2, where Beck was taken.

You can be in denial about this all you want, if you truly ever do an analysis,(and I know you haven't by what you say, 10 years is not enough), you will find out your wrong.

And again, none of my argument has anything to do with suggesting John Beck is a bust, nor was Chris's, I have no need to go ask him, because I know, like myself, he realizes its too early to pass judgment on Beck.

Beck has nothing to do with statistical fact, hopefully he will be one of the exceptions from that much smaller percentage that DOES make it, not being drafted in the first round.

If your saying that 23-42 superbowls have been won by first round draft choices then I wouldn't bring in the dolphins. We all know (sadly) that Marino never won it.

So nearly half winners come from first rounds and the others are just a half? Of course you are going to get better talent drafted in the first round, thats why they are drafted in the first round, but this doesnt' mean the folks drafted in the later rounds are busts. Probability is with the first round, yes, but the later rounds have their probability's as well. You said You support beck and I fully agree with you on that. Most of us still agree Beck needs his chance to shine on this talent depleted team.

Ok what about guys like Andre Ware,David Klinger,Heath Shuler,Rick Mirer,Tim Couch,Ryan Leaf,Akili Smith,Joey Harrington, David Carr etc.. All qb's who were drafted in the top 10 and were highly viewed as great prospects but were all drafted by crappy teams so have all had crappy careers. Are you going to say that all these guys and i'm sure i can find many more were all no talent bums and the teams that they played for had nothing to do with thier success or failure? it takes a team to win and a qb's future is not decided by where he's drafted.

:lol:

There is nothing to deny. The SB's from 2000 to the present are more than enough to make the point that you don't need to draft a QB in the first round to make it to the SB. It's funny that this list starts the year after Brett Favre was drafted, I guess that would skew the results a little bit, no? I could have gone back to include Favre and his SB's on my list, but I felt the past 8 years were more than enough to make the point.

QB's selected in the 1st: 8
QB's not selected in the 1st: 10

You can't get around those numbers

You make a great point, also bear in mind DILFER WAS A FIRST ROUND PICK.

However, the Ravens also had one of the top three defenses in history.

I think its ridiculous to suggest that its ok to have a mediocre quarterback, using a team with one of the most dominating defenses in history as your example of why.:up:
Why? It's a part of the statistic, is it not?

Dilfer was indeed a first rounder as I pointed out several times, but he was also a marginal QB that won because he was surrounded by alot of talent. Which is my whole point, football is a team game.

Ok what about guys like Andre Ware,David Klinger,Heath Shuler,Rick Mirer,Tim Couch,Ryan Leaf,Akili Smith,Joey Harrington, David Carr etc.. All qb's who were drafted in the top 10 and were highly viewed as great prospects but were all drafted by crappy teams so have all had crappy careers. Are you going to say that all these guys and i'm sure i can find many more were all no talent bums and the teams that they played for had nothing to do with thier success or failure? it takes a team to win and a qb's future is not decided by where he's drafted.
"B-I-N-G-O...and BINGO was his name-o" :up:

Some very good points from both sides of the argument. Yes, if a QB is selected in the first round his chances of succeeding is better than if selected in later rounds. There are also the absolute busts as in Alex Smith and Ryan Leaf. And of course there are the Brett Favre's (2nd rounder as well) and the Drew Brees' who were not number ones. Drafting being the ultimate imperfect science it is Beck like any qb regardless what round they are picked is no sure thing. We shall see...

For every 1st round bust QB, I can name you 10 or more drafted after round 1.

That is not the point

If I make a statement that college graduates tend to be more successful, or have a higher probability of being successful than non- college graduates, are you going to argue with that too?

Do you have to be a college graduate to be successful? No

Statistcally is it more probable? Yes

Just as, a QB drafted in round one is more probable to be successful in this league than a guy drafted in rounds 2-7 (or undrafted free agents) combined.

This DOES NOT mean a guy drafted in rounds 2-7(or undrafted) CAN'T make it, it just means its less probable statistically.

Back
Top Bottom