Beck's Odds Are Not So Good | Page 5 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Beck's Odds Are Not So Good

I'm tired of the berating John Beck takes on this site. He played in four games on a bad team. Let's give him a chance. Put him behind a solid OL and give him more skill players to get the ball to. I feel we have our QB of the future. The next year our two will tell. We just have to give him time to grow into a NFL QB - just like the Giants gave Eli.

Sorry Beck is simply not the answer.. if he was any good this team would of atleast won more then one game. He's a career backup if hes lucky he doesn't have anything special. This team would be better off with Ryan behind the center

This comment shows your really shortsighted and in a rush to answer the big question about beck. Is he the guy. My view is it is just to early to tell if he is the guy or not.

The talent level on this team was and is dreadfull. How can anyone make a determination based on that. A QB's game is contingent on so many things. For example Oline play, playcalling, running game support, pass protection, quality WR talent, a quality TE to throw to. Most if not all of those things were not present last year on a consistent basis.

No credible determination can be made on beck so far. It's just that simple. Why is everyone in such a hurry. We are in should be in no rush to waste pick if we don't have to. Let Parcells, Ireland and Sparano evaluate him, then we will go from there.

Look if you don't like the guy or somthing that's fine but, or if you are really in love with some new guy like Matt Ryan or some thing then thats cool. But, don't count Beck out just yet. One way or the other Parcells is not gonna cut the guy. He will be here for atleast one year for sure. I say use that time to evaluate him and go form there.

We just have to give him time to grow into a NFL QB - just like the Giants gave Eli.
You bring up a very good point, earlier this year Eli Manning was almost run out of town on a rail because he was playing so poorly. I couldn't pick up the Post or the News without reading how Eli was thisclose to being benched and how his short time in NY was quickly coming to an end.

Well, how did that turn out?

It took him a while to settle down, but now people are talking about him as a great young QB and a Franchise QB at that.

Be patient with Beck, Eli had alot more talent around him than Beck did, lets give John a chance to prove what he can do once everyone is healthy.

Well all I can say is if Beck turns out to be anything but a bust be prepared to eat thoose words.

By the way I would trust cam, ireland and matrz more than you to judge QB talent. What scounting department or team have you coached at that level?
It is clear you have some sort of bias. YOu hate cam so you hate his pick. Or could it be your a culpepper fan or what is really going on?
I don't think he will be a bust. Will he be great? Who knows.

To answer your question phinphever. It goes back to the year 2000 I was a Damon Huard fan. I wanted Huard to take the job from Dan Marino. Well that did not happen. Now Huard is still in the NFL and we are at QB No.25.

You are correct I hated SCAM from Day 1. I hated his beady little eyes and his pathetic way of coaching that ultimately resulted in a 1-15 almost 0-16 season if not for the utter incompetence of an ex-Ravens coach.

I tottally gagged when we passed on Brady Quinn and I rolled my eyes when they took Beck. The Mountain West Conference? The Ginn Family? All the Somoans? Ronnie Brown on Kickoffs? Trading Chambers?

Yes Yes Yes. No I am not a Culpepper supporter. :(

43 percent of first rounders have 75 rating or above
66 percent of first rounders have 70 rating or above
34 percent of first rounders have rating of 70 or below
13 percent of first rounders have rating below 60

28 percent of second rounders have rating 75 or above
47 percent of second rounders have rating 7o or above
27 percent of second rounders have rating of 70 or below
26 percent of second rounders have rating below 60

Nice reasearch, dlockz. This agrees with all historical studies of the draft, which shows that players picked earlier in the draft pan out more often than those picked later. Note that the failure rate is pretty high, even for 1st rounders.

I think they have to give beck a chance hes still young and played pretty good this last season. If we just get him some more weapons around him and maybe will see a spark from him, thats why this off season is important to move this team in the right direction. If we draft another qb like ryan and beck shows that hes the best to start then thats a waist of the draft pick. Also for a qb being compared by some people to favre thats impressive.

Anyone else find it funny that the only "stud" on that list is Drew Brees? He's the guy that if Wanny had brain 1 in that mustached head of his would have been a Dolphin in round 1.
Unless you felt that way about Brees before the draft and none of the others, this looks suspiciously like 20/20 hindsight.

I think they have to give beck a chance hes still young and played pretty good this last season. If we just get him some more weapons around him and maybe will see a spark from him, thats why this off season is important to move this team in the right direction. If we draft another qb like ryan and beck shows that hes the best to start then thats a waist of the draft pick. Also for a qb being compared by some people to favre thats impressive.

:lol: What games did you watch?

The word is waste, and no it isnt a waste. If we draft Ryan and Beck turns into a good player, then we have 2 good QBs. Alot of teams dont have one. Drafting Ryan is a way to cover all bets and sure up this position that has killed us since Dan retired once and for all.

Of the 31 quarterbacks taken in rounds two and three the last 15 years only one has turned into a stud and the type of guy you can build a team around (Drew Brees). 1 out of 31 = 3%. For anyone to pin their hopes on landing a franchise signal caller in round two or three all I can say is the numbers don't lie.
Good thing SF didn't take Jerry Rice in the first round of the 1985 draft, then, because before then, there hadn't been a successful WR drafted out of Mississippi Valley State. All I can say is that that the numbers don't lie, 0 out of 0 = 0% (which is even less than 3%).

Who's to say that if drafted THIS year, Beck would not have been a 1st round QB pick??

He wouldn't this is a deeper draft and his age hurts his draft status.
Desean Jackson is a more polished Ted Ginn and he may very well go past 9.

That's correct. the first round produces far more successful QBs than any other single round. What's really weird is that in the last ten years round 6 comes in 2nd place :lol: So basically if you pass on the 1st wait until the 6th round before drafting

Thats true in numbers but percentage wise there are alot of Qb's drafted in the sixth so you chances are really not second best in the sixth , although the second round has definately been the weakest round besides the 7th.

hahaha, you can't over value someone and draft them WAY before the talent warrants it "just" because the failure rates are proportionally lower the higher you pick. A mediocre qb is a mediocre qb no matter where you pick him. Ryan at 32 would be value, Ryan at anything above ten will be a waste... and surely SOMONE will overpay for his services, I hope it isn't us.. he is not any better a prospect than Beck, who we ALREADY have.

Back
Top Bottom