Benardrick McKinney restructure | Page 10 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Benardrick McKinney restructure

No, that's cool. When X pays his fines he is honoring his contract and we are all good.
Actually, I will.

I'll be good if we trade him too, and I'll be fine if he swallows his pride, and comes to camp like a good little mercenary.

I prefer he comes to camp, and plays his ass off this year, but I'm a fan of the team. Sure, they do things I don't always agree with, but no one player is bigger than the whole.

What I do not want to do is extend a multiyear, highly gauranteed top 3 contract to an aging, oft injured player. Do you "want" to do that? Common sense would say nobody "wants" to do that, but some are willing to do it, and are OK with the risk to varying degrees to one extreme or the other.

Too many are making this an emotional, or a team v individual thing.

It's business, and it's a business where a GM, and coach are responsible for more than one season at a time.

Taking things in business personally can easily lead to bad and impractical decisions, like the one X made.

It's absolutely fine to take things personally as fans, but I certainly don't want my favorite team's FO operating that way. Do you?

While I agree, the issue is this has now created a problem where you are telling 51 other players they are not as important as the 52nd.

While that may be true, it's not smart when rebuilding a team, or trying to build a culture on a team
The flip side of this is we’ve set a precedent going back to Jai Ajai then Minkah and now X where if a player wants to play for what they perceive to be a winner they simply complain and get their wish - in Ajai’s case he got a SB. That precedent is equally bad. Look how GB is handling Rodgers. I’d prefer us to do it more like that.

If, in fact, 'everyone' knows this is a business, then the other players understand the situation. Neither Rowe, nor DVP, nor Ogbah are top 5 at their position and realize the difference - they're easier to replace.

Miami isn't the first team to rework a contract or trade a player and won't be the last. JMHO, X was sucked in by his agent who stroked his ego and fed him a line. I'm very interested what type of contract he's offered by other teams and what those teams offer Miami. All three entities - X, Miami, acquiring team - have to be happy with the deal. Not easy.

The flip side of this is we’ve set a precedent going back to Jai Ajai then Minkah and now X where if a player wants to play for what they perceive to be a winner they simply complain and get their wish - in Ajai’s case he got a SB. That precedent is equally bad. Look how GB is handling Rodgers. I’d prefer us to do it more like that.
Good point.

I agree. I personally would prefer to do nothing and let him hold out and lose money if he wants.

I don't want the NFL to turn into the NBA.

If X was injured in game 2 last season, he would be cut right now. Earning $0 from his remaining contract. There is no honor for teams in the NFL. Where’s the honor in that?

Wait are you referring to the same team that made him the HIGHEST PAID defensive player in the league even after all his injuries and STILL retained him AND paid him every single penny after he only played a hand full of games?
That’s the loyalty you’re questioning?

Last edited:
Good point.

I agree. I personally would prefer to do nothing and let him hold out and lose money if he wants.

I don't want the NFL to turn into the NBA.
Agreed (NBA comment). And I feel it’s slipping toward it.

Hey FD happy Sunday. Can you do me a favor and define 'honor' in the sense you hold near and dear to it with contracts. And define it for both parties please. Be specific, no generalities. I'm still trying to understand the core of you stance.
I don't see where this is difficult.

If your contract says that you show up for mandatory minicamp, you show up.

If your contract says that you play player A this much bonus money in exchange for a player agreeing to show up for all future camps, games, and practice sessions, you pay it.

In America, men used to settle their agreement with a handshake, and would rather die than go back on their word, but we live in slimier times... with slimier people.

If X was injured in game 2 last season, he would be cut right now. Earning $0 from his remaining contract. There is no honor for teams in the NFL. Where’s the honor in that?
Not true... this year's money is guaranteed... as was last year's.

As far as the money in 2022, that isn't guaranteed... and he AGREED to those terms when he signed the contract... but back to him failing to keep his word.

I don't see where this is difficult.

If your contract says that you show up for mandatory minicamp, you show up.

If your contract says that you play player A this much bonus money in exchange for a player agreeing to show up for all future camps, games, and practice sessions, you pay it.

In America, men used to settle their agreement with a handshake, and would rather die than go back on their word, but we live in slimier times... with slimier people.
Though I agree with the values you put on a person's word being his bond barring unforeseeable extenuating circumstances, your portrayal of how things "used to be" is fantasy.

From the beginnings of civilization there have been con artists, lazy a$$es, deceivers, outright liars, criminals, etc.

Hell, America, in no small part, was built on the backs of those less fortunate being exploited by the powerful. To purport otherwise is just being dishonest with yourself about history.

Humans.....what you gonna do?.....

Though I agree with the values you put on a person's word being his bond barring unforeseeable extenuating circumstances, your portrayal of how things "used to be" is fantasy.

From the beginnings of civilization there have been con artists, lazy a$$es, deceivers, outright liars, criminals, etc.

Hell, America, in no small part, was built on the backs of those less fortunate being exploited by the powerful. To purport otherwise is just being dishonest with yourself about history.

Humans.....what you gonna do?.....
...and these men were described JUST as you did-- con artists, liars, and criminals.

And yet, there are several here who disagree with the way I describe Hoard. THAT has changed... more and more people defend this sort of thing, rather than condemn it.

I'll be honest here... those that defend this sort of behavior... I wouldn't do business with them. I just wouldn't trust them to do what they'd promised. Cash up front because your word is worthless.

Or, better..... extending Gesicki
Until we see the specifics, I'm just going with cap management flexibility.

One thing to keep in mind, a reasonable "cushion" should me maintained, as many contracts are laden with incentives that do not get tallied until the end of the league year. Remember how our cap number was instantly adjusted downward by several million last year, primarily from DVPs contractual add ons?

One thing to keep in mind, a reasonable "cushion" should me maintained, as many contracts are laden with incentives that do not get tallied until the end of the league year. Remember how our cap number was instantly adjusted downward by several million last year, primarily from DVPs contractual add ons?

Agree.

That said, I'd prefer the phins extend MG.

Attempting to placate XH ever is IMO highly unlikely.

I know they ended up destroying us.

But until DVP slipped and fell, or was pushed down leading to a pick 6..... it seemed as if our offense started putting it together and our defense just made a stop.

I always wonder how different that game is if DVP doesn't fall down. Whole momentum changes etc.

Wait are you referring to the same team that made him the HIGHEST PAID defensive player in the league even after all his injuries and STILL retained him AND paid him every single penny after he only played a hand full of games?
That’s the loyalty you’re questioning?
I’m pretty sure that he signed his contract prior to his injury, but I could be wrong. And they knew when they made the contract that it was essentially a three year extension. I don’t see how this double standard doesn’t bother anyone else. This is the final year of the year contract in terms of team obligation but everyone sh*** on X if he says, “okay. I’m in the last year of my deal. (If you look at the way his contract is structured) Let’s redo this now. You value player “A” at this amount for “Y” amount of production. I would like to be paid on par with my production.”

We are talking about arguably the best player in the league playing the toughest position in the game. It’s not like he’s trying to tell the team how he wants to play or how to conduct business. He just wants fair compensation. And I don’t get why people are bothered by that. If he’s making outrageous demands behind the scenes that I’m not aware of then I say let’s trade him. But if he’s trying to negotiate in good faith then I don’t see anything wrong with that. It’s clear to see that he puts in the work to master his craft and no one does it better IMO.

Not true... this year's money is guaranteed... as was last year's.

As far as the money in 2022, that isn't guaranteed... and he AGREED to those terms when he signed the contract... but back to him failing to keep his word.
You’re right. It’s essentially the final year of his contract this year. I’m pretty sure that everyone in the organization felt that way when they drew up the contract.

Back
Top Bottom