Best QB fit for Chan Gailey’s Offense? | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Best QB fit for Chan Gailey’s Offense?

McShay and Orlovsky assert that Love can do everything Herbert can and a lot more due to his mobility and improvisational skills
McShay also rated Trubisky and Kizer over Mahomes in the 2017 draft. So when it comes to rating QB’s I really don’t give McShay high marks at all. As far as Orlovsky is concerned, if he was actually any good in judging talent, he would be a n NFL GM and not a talking head at ESPN.

I don’t think anyone knows what Chan’s offense is anymore.
As a coordinator in the past, Chan ran whatever the preferred scheme of the HC.

Ppl shouldn't get caught up so much with what he did as the top guy.

Does anyone think Flo isn't going to run the type of offense HE wants to run?

That would be just as bad as Gase, fiddleing while Burke's D was getting burned.

You guys dont think the reason Tua was so good was because he had first round receivers, and first round OTs? The guy couldnt stay healthy under two first round OTs.

Tua is like Luck. We all saw what happened with Luck. Stay away from injury prone guys.

It keeps coming up, but I still think Chan Gailey being our OC has to be some sort of all-time most elaborate April Fools joke and that Jerry Schuplinski or someone else quietly got the real job?

Gailey is the reason I'm not as confident in the offense taking the next step. The coaches who were here in 2019 got the most out of Fitzpatrick. When the Kringlemiester was with Gailey in New York, for 2 seasons, he had 2 very different outcomes, one very solid and the other being atrocious. Which will we get this time? I'm not sold on having Gailey as your QB guru and the guy in charge of developing a potential franchise QB in Tua, Herbert or Love. I truly wish Flores made a better choice in his OC to oversee a young offense, lead by a young talented player.

McShay also rated Trubisky and Kizer over Mahomes in the 2017 draft. So when it comes to rating QB’s I really don’t give McShay high marks at all. As far as Orlovsky is concerned, if he was actually any good in judging talent, he would be a n NFL GM and not a talking head at ESPN.

To be fair, most people had Trubisky as top QB. That said, Tua, to me, looks best.

Hopefully they aren't thinking of picking a qb to suit Gailey because he'll be gone in a year, two at the most.
He should have stayed retired. While Flores has the right to pick any OC he wants to run the offense, picking a retired OC who was terrible in his last job with the Jets makes no sense at all. I guess no good OC wanted to work for him after he fired his previous OC after just one season and that is why Gailey got the job.

The game has changed so much. But decision making has always been the silent defining element of a QB's overall success. In the old days it was about identifying match-ups and handling the blitz against D's that had a primary base used most of the time. The game was simpler, but the decision making was still at the forefront.

Now, it's about processing multiple fronts, multiple schemes and getting the ball out quickly. Decision making is still the underlying reason for success, but how it is applied has changed.

"Cerebral" doesn't always translate well on the field. A high capacity for critical thinking doesn't mean quick decisions. And quick decisions do not always mean the best decision.

So, if I'm hearing about a QB that is "cerebral" but can't get the ball out quick, he is just a backup in my mind. And I think this describes Rosen's trajectory; a backup.

If you can't process a defense in 3 seconds at the LOS pre-snap and make a decision within 1.5 seconds post-snap.... it doesn't matter how healthy you are or how many physical gifts you have. Fans will always see glimpses of greatness but never consistency in greatness.

Completion Percentages don't tell the whole story, BUT they do lead to the ability to MAKE quick decisions. However, if you've not won big games then I would tend to believe you can't make the best decisions during your quick decision making ability. Or you could have a weak supporting cast. Only game film can determine the truth.

Regardless, on the surface, I'm looking for ball placement, high completion percentage, high yards and high TD/INT ratio first. These should be high level tools to help you determine a QB's decision making skills; but they are not set in stone. However, they should shine consistently.

Arm strength and physical tools are on the next tier of evaluations.

So, my concerns:
  • Tier 1: Scheme Fit
  • Tier 2a: Decision Making/Intelligence
  • Tier 2b: Maturity
  • Tier 3a: Physical Tools
  • Tier 3b: Health
  • Tier 4: Team Success (W's and L's)

We could nitpick on so many qualities. But those are my general measuring sticks.

I know guys keep pointing to Tua's health. But let's be realistic; all NFL players are one bad play away from a career ending injury. There are too many uncontrollable factors in the field of play. Burrow could get injured on his first play. Tua could play for 15 years and never get injured again.

For me, I prefer Tua.

Would have been great to still have Jim Caldwell to see what he could do. He's done well previously. No doubt a QB is taken with one of our first 5 picks, but I'm still wanting to see Rosen with a veteran OC and more time to throw.

Back
Top Bottom