Best Running Back in the AFCE? | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Best Running Back in the AFCE?

Who is the best back in the AFCE?

• Total voters
FinfanInBuffalo said:
His most recent season was AVERAGE. The ony season when they have both played, Brown was better. Period.

brown had the luxury of being a change of pace back behind ricky. I know I didn't see Brown do anything in 2 games against us but Willis has killed us. There's no doubt in my mind I am more afrraid of Willis at this point.

Honestly the 2006 season needs to play out before we can make a real decision. Right now I think Willis wins by Default, but I also think Ronnie has the higher ceiling.

I refuse to vote for any self-proclaimed "Best RB in the NFL" and so I have to choose "Undecided".:tantrum:

Don't get me wrong... If Marino proclaimed himself the "Best QB in NFL History" I would refuse to vote for him on any Who's the Best QB in NFL History polls, too... even though he is...:wink:

Just the way I roll...:lol:

Wagon Circler said:
:shakeno:

He had a higher YPC, more receptions, higher yards per reception, almost as many TDs, and was more explosive (runs of 65 and 58 yards).

I hate to break it to Bills fans but 3.8 YPC is average. His heart was challenged by his own coaching staff at least twice during the season.

FinfanInBuffalo said:
He had a higher YPC, more receptions, higher yards per reception, almost as many TDs, and was more explosive (runs of 65 and 58 yards).

I hate to break it to Bills fans but 3.8 YPC is average. His heart was challenged by his own coaching staff at least twice during the season.

I am sure Bills fans would admit he wasn't great last year but he was 2 years ago and has proven he can be the feature back which is something Ronnie didn't even prove in College.

nyjunc said:
I am sure Bills fans would admit he wasn't great last year but he was 2 years ago and has proven he can be the feature back which is something Ronnie didn't even prove in College.

Are we guessing at who will be the East's best back next year or are we comparing careers? If we're doing the latter it looks like Curtis Martin wins hands down. If it's the former I'll stick with Ronnie but admit it should be a close one between him and McGahee.

McGahee has always been a favourite of mine but Ronnie B will have the better year because of a supporting cast and the situation hes in!

nyjunc said:

Ronnie proved enough in college to be the 2nd pick in the draft (ahead of some very good RBs). He showed me enough last year (4.4 YPC and some explosive runs) to prove he belongs in the NFL. He displayed the versatility with running, receiving, and blocking that people talked about before the draft. No amount of weight loss will turn McGahee in the receiver that Brown is. AND he did it without a complete offseason.

muscle979 said:
Are we guessing at who will be the East's best back next year or are we comparing careers? If we're doing the latter it looks like Curtis Martin wins hands down. If it's the former I'll stick with Ronnie but admit it should be a close one between him and McGahee.

This is about who is the best now.

muscle979 said:

Of course it's a prediction assuming Curtis and Dillon are pretty much done. Mcgahee gives the bst of both Worlds, he's been a big time back and he's still young while Brown needs to prove he can be a feature back. I THINK he can do it and I wouldn't be surprised at all if he became the best RB in the div BUT I need to see it first before I annoint him.

FinfanInBuffalo said:
Ronnie proved enough in college to be the 2nd pick in the draft (ahead of some very good RBs). He showed me enough last year (4.4 YPC and some explosive runs) to prove he belongs in the NFL. He displayed the versatility with running, receiving, and blocking that people talked about before the draft. No amount of weight loss will turn McGahee in the receiver that Brown is. AND he did it without a complete offseason.

and he did it as a change of pace back and NOT as a feature back. Who cares if he was the 2nd pick in the draft as if we haven't seen busts at #2 overall? In 1990 we selected Blair Thomas #2 overall and he was a part time RB just like Ronnie and he avreaged 5 yards per carry and had an excellent rookie year then couldn't handle the job as a full time feature back. I'm not syaing he'll be Blair Thomas but don't act like success is guaranted b/c he was good as a rookie and the #2 overall pick.

nyjunc said:
Of course it's a prediction assuming Curtis and Dillon are pretty much done. Mcgahee gives the bst of both Worlds, he's been a big time back and he's still young while Brown needs to prove he can be a feature back. I THINK he can do it and I wouldn't be surprised at all if he became the best RB in the div BUT I need to see it first before I annoint him.

What has McGahee PROVED exactly? that he will average 3.9 YPC and quit when things get tough? How about that he hasn't fully recovered from his knee injury? How about that he is a selfish me first player? How about that he has a hugely inflated ego.

nyjunc said:
and he did it as a change of pace back and NOT as a feature back.Who cares if he was the 2nd pick in the draft as if we haven't seen busts at #2 overall? In 1990 we selected Blair Thomas #2 overall and he was a part time RB just like Ronnie and he avreaged 5 yards per carry and had an excellent rookie year then couldn't handle the job as a full time feature back. I'm not syaing he'll be Blair Thomas but don't act like success is guaranted b/c he was good as a rookie and the #2 overall pick.

You are comparing Ronnie Brown to a back THAT AVERAGED 3.8 YPC LAST SEASON. It's not like we are comparing Ronnie Brown to LT. If you ask me, McGahee still has to prove he is an elite back also. We are comparing two good RBs that may become elite RBs. Based on what I have seen the two backs do in the NFL, Ronnie Brown is better for reasons that I do not believe will change:

1. Better receiver
2. Better blocker
3. More explosive runner
4. More powerful

Let's not forget that McGahee is playing on a reconstructed knee.

FinfanInBuffalo said:
What has McGahee PROVED exactly? that he will average 3.9 YPC and quit when things get tough? How about that he hasn't fully recovered from his knee injury? How about that he is a selfish me first player? How about that he has a hugely inflated ego.

I'll give you the last line but how could he not have proven he was fully recovered from his knee when he had the type of season he had in 2004? He started only 11 games and had 1128 yds and 13 TDs. If you prorate those #s over 16 starts he has over 1,600 yds and 23 TDs. Buffalo was also 0-5 in games Willis did not start and 9-2 in games he did start and he only had 19 carries for 70 yds and ZERO TDs after 4 games and still finished w/ over 1100 yds and 13 TDs helping Buffalo turn around a season that started 0-4.

FinfanInBuffalo said:
You are comparing Ronnie Brown to a back THAT AVERAGED 3.8 YPC LAST SEASON. It's not like we are comparing Ronnie Brown to LT. If you ask me, McGahee still has to prove he is an elite back also. We are comparing two good RBs that may become elite RBs. Based on what I have seen the two backs do in the NFL, Ronnie Brown is better for reasons that I do not believe will change:

1. Better receiver
2. Better blocker
3. More explosive runner
4. More powerful

Let's not forget that McGahee is playing on a reconstructed knee.

based on 1 season from Ronnie and 1 season from Willis you deduce this?

1. In 1 year Ronnie had 32 recs for 232 yds, in a 2 yr average Willis averages 25 recs a year fro 174 yds. Is thhis that big of difference considering Ronnie had Ricky around to carry the ball? let's see what ronnie can do as the every down back? It makes it alot easier to run and catch w/ Ricky playing well as he did most of last year. Willis didn't have that luxury as Travis henry barely played in '04 and when he did he was ineffective.

2. I haven't studied the blocking of the 2 but I know feature backs aren't relied upon to be great blockers. Curtis Martin has been great at picking up blitzes for his career but no one talks about that.

3. Again it's much easier to have an explosive run here or there when you are fresh and D's are used to facing a more powerful Ricky. The D's get worn down a bit and in comes a speed back. By the way though in '04 Willis had 10 20+ yd runs while ronnie only had 5 last year.

4. He's not more powerful, Willis is a load and almost impossible to stop in short yardage situations which is why in a bad year last year(more to do w/ Buf's awful O than Willis) he only had 5 TDs which was 1 more than Ronnie but in '04 he had 13 which is an impressive #. In Ricky's only great season of 2002 he only had 3 more TDs but he started 5 more games and had 99 more carries. Imagin what Willis could have done in '04 w/ 99 more carries?

nyjunc said:
I'll give you the last line but how could he not have proven he was fully recovered from his knee when he had the type of season he had in 2004?

Because he is nowhere near as explosive or fast as he was in college. Even you cannot dispute that. You seem to think 4 YPC is great. If so, this debate is pointless.....

nyjunc said:
He started only 11 games and had 1128 yds and 13 TDs. If you prorate those #s over 16 starts he has over 1,600 yds and 23 TDs. Buffalo was also 0-5 in games Willis did not start and 9-2 in games he did start and he only had 19 carries for 70 yds and ZERO TDs after 4 games and still finished w/ over 1100 yds and 13 TDs helping Buffalo turn around a season that started 0-4.

If you want to talk about prorating, take McGahee's 3.9 YPC and Brown's 4.4 YPC and multiply by however many carries you want. Tell me who comes out higher.......

nyjunc said:
based on 1 season from Ronnie and 1 season from Willis you deduce this?

Since that's all I have, yes. You seem to be able to deduce that McGahee is better based on the same amount of data. Why not me?

nyjunc said:
1. In 1 year Ronnie had 32 recs for 232 yds, in a 2 yr average Willis averages 25 recs a year fro 174 yds. Is thhis that big of difference considering Ronnie had Ricky around to carry the ball?

Is 32 higher than 25 or not? You seem to forget that Ronnie's numbers were REDUCED by fewer opportunities. Make Ronnie the fulltime starter and we'd be comparing 50 receptions to 25. Also, Ronnie is more natural coming out of the backfield. McGahee's receptions are almost all screen passes. He is not a good receiver.

nyjunc said:
2. I haven't studied the blocking of the 2 but I know feature backs aren't relied upon to be great blockers. Curtis Martin has been great at picking up blitzes for his career but no one talks about that.

Ronnie Brown was great at picking up the blitz, as a rookie who missed most of camp.

nyjunc said:
3. Again it's much easier to have an explosive run here or there when you are fresh and D's are used to facing a more powerful Ricky. The D's get worn down a bit and in comes a speed back. By the way though in '04 Willis had 10 20+ yd runs while ronnie only had 5 last year.

Willis's career long is 41 yards. His high last season was 25. Not explosive. Ronnie's long of 65 would have been more, but he was stopped by the endzone. Ricky was not more powerful than Ronnie last season.

nyjunc said:
4. He's not more powerful, Willis is a load and almost impossible to stop in short yardage situations which is why in a bad year last year(more to do w/ Buf's awful O than Willis) he only had 5 TDs which was 1 more than Ronnie but in '04 he had 13 which is an impressive #. In Ricky's only great season of 2002 he only had 3 more TDs but he started 5 more games and had 99 more carries. Imagin what Willis could have done in '04 w/ 99 more carries?

Tell that to the KC defender that Brown crushed on the way to the 65 yard TD.

You like to claim that fewer carries helped Brown's numbers but hurt McGahee's numbers. Does that make any sense? You have no way of knowing if McGahee would have broken down trying to carry the ball as much as Ricky did in 2002. Since all three players got enough carries to establish a reliable YPC, we can compare Ricky's 4.8 in 2002, McGahee's 3.8 last season, and Brown's 4.4 last season. You do the math.

BTW, Ronnie Brown had the same number of TDs as McGahee last season. You seem to think that receiving TDs don't count. I can understand wanting to ignore receiving numbers when comparing Brown and McGahee since they ruin your argument.

Back
Top Bottom