Best Running Back in the AFCE? | Page 5 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Best Running Back in the AFCE?

Who is the best back in the AFCE?

• Total voters
You are such a homer.

Let me reel off some single-game rushing totals for the great Ronnie Brown last year:

57, 35, 22, 67, 64, 56, 58, 22, 30, 45, 21

Not only does he struggle to get 60 yards in a game, he also had as many fumbles as TDs last season.

I know you Fin fans get excited about your RBs since you've only had three or four decent ones in your entire existence, but Ronnie isn't top tier yet.

B-LO said:
You are such a homer.

Let me reel off some single-game rushing totals for the great Ronnie Brown last year:

57, 35, 22, 67, 64, 56, 58, 22, 30, 45, 21

Not only does he struggle to get 60 yards in a game, he also had as many fumbles as TDs last season.

I know you Fin fans get excited about your RBs since you've only had three or four decent ones in your entire existence, but Ronnie isn't top tier yet.

Funny how you left out 132, 97, 95 and 106. Brown missed the first 3 weeks of training camp. So basically, with two weeks of NFL preparation, the rookie steps in and averages 4.4 ypc in his first four games as "The Man" while Ricky sat out. That included a 132-yard game vs. Carolina in Week 3 and the 97-yard game at Buffalo in Week 4. Brown averaged 5.7 ypc in each game.

He followed that up with a 95-yard game vs. KC in Week 6 (on a measly 8 carries) and a 106-yard game in Week 7 at New Orleans (in Baton Rouge). Ricky rushed for 82 yards himself that day.

The next three games after that, Ronnie averaged a combined 4.9 ypc, bringing his average to 4.7 ypc.

Not a bad start for a rookie who missed almost all of camp.

You also need to consider the situation. Ronnie split carries with Ricky. And it's hard for either guy to truly get into the flow of a game, much less bust a long run, when you're constantly being subbed for. Especially a guy like Ricky who gets stronger the more carries he gets. We don't know if this will be the case with Ronnie until we seem him do it alone.

Anyway, my feeling on the AFCE is that every team has very capable backs. I think McGahee is the top dog right now. Dillon and Martin can still get it done. Lawrence Maroney should pick right up where Dillon leaves off. I think Ronnie Brown has the skills to be the division's best back. And I think he'll give the division's defenses all they want. But I can't annoint him above anyone else until he gets back on that field as the feature back.

B-LO said:
This is ridiculous. McGahee has two back-to-back 1000+ seasons in his first two years and Brown has proven nothing.

Big deal. He averaged 3.9 ypc to get them. You can't sit there and tell me that Ronnie wouldn't have gained 1,000 yards with the same amount of carries.

Brown had 900 yards and 4 TDs his first year. McGahee had 1128 and 13 TDs in his first season. Brown hasn't even carried the full load of carries since high school.

McGahee averaged 4.0 ypc that year. Ronnie averaged 4.4. Ronnie also bested both of Willis' receiving numbers as a rookie.

Brown had six games where he averaged under 3 YPC.

And he averaged 12 carries in those games. Two of which were the first games of his career. Throw out the first game and he averaged under 10.

Brown had only three games where he had 20+ carries.
And he gained 100+ yards in two of them. The other was his first career game against Denver's front seven.

Brown had four games where he carried the ball less than 10 times.

And??

I'll make a point for you. He ran for 95 yards in one of them. He gained 44 yards receving in another. Gained 30 receiving in yet another. And as is the case when backs get few carries, nearly all his -3.0 ypc games came in these games. But you like to see a guy find other ways to contribute (like the receiving yards).

Brown reached the 100-yard mark in only two games.

Look at the games Willis reached 100 vs. the games Ronnie reached 100. Carry totals of 22, 27, 29, 31 and 22. Ronnie carried the ball 20+ times on 3 occasions. Two of them he broke 100 yards. The other was his first career game. In two other games, Ronnie missed 100 by a combined 8 yards. And he carried 8 and 17 times respectively in those games.

Willis also had four games where he rushed for 20+ and didn't reach 100. One game was 30+ carries (against Miami).

So it's not as if Ronnie can't get there. It's just a matter of opportunity.

Just for fun, lets look at our teams head to head.....:tongue:

Willis averaged 2.9 ypc on 58 attempts against the Dolphins in 2005. He caught 4 passes for 35 yards. The Dolphins were without Keith Traylor and Zach Thomas in one of those games.

Ronnie averaged 4.6 ypc on 26 attempts against Buffalo in 2005. He caught 8 passes for 49 yards and 1 TD.

McGahee played behind arguably the worst line in the league and under the dubious play-calling of Mike Mularkey as well. Regardless, he was a Pro Bowl alternate.

The league's worst line resided in Miami in 2004. I don't think that's even up for debate, with 5 new starters, Tony Wise, Dave Wannstedt and the 4-headed offensive coordinator who didn't get along. Whoda thought we'd be debating whose team sucked worse. :lol:

B-LO said:

And neither is McGahee, that's the point. Brown isn't a elite back, he is just better than McGahee.

FinfanInBuffalo said:
blah, blah, blah.....

That's what I expect from you when you don't have an argument.

Colorado Dolfan said:
Can someone please explain to me how NYJ was a great D and NE was a great D when McGahee was running against them, but a NYJ was a soft D and NE was ok D when Ronnie was?:shakeno:

You'd think it would be obvious. We were 10-6, a playoff team and had a top 5 D in 2004. In 2005 we were 4-12 and had a bottom 3rd D.

NE was 14-2, a SB Champ and had a top 5 D in 2004. In 2005 they were middle of the pack.

burger13 said:
I love this "change-of-pace" tag.........when a)he STARTED every game he was healthy and b)led the team in rushing attempts and yards.

He was a workhorse, how could anyone have expected him to last a season w/ 13 carries a game. Just simply amazing, you proved me wrong:sidelol:

Muck said:
Big deal. He averaged 3.9 ypc to get them. You can't sit there and tell me that Ronnie wouldn't have gained 1,000 yards with the same amount of carries.

That's the point on Ronnie, as talented as he is we don't know if he'd do that w/ the same amount of carries b/c he never has. How do we know he can last a full season?

Muck said:
Look at the games Willis reached 100 vs. the games Ronnie reached 100. Carry totals of 22, 27, 29, 31 and 22. Ronnie carried the ball 20+ times on 3 occasions. Two of them he broke 100 yards. The other was his first career game. In two other games, Ronnie missed 100 by a combined 8 yards. And he carried 8 and 17 times respectively in those games.

A) Ronnie had no pressure b/c of Ricky and B) Ricky wore teams down and fresh Ronnie came in w/ his speed and broke some long runs. he won't have the luxury of Ricky this year.

nyjunc said:
That's what I expect from you when you don't have an argument.

Don't have an argument? You convienently dropped your excuse about the defenses faced by McGahee in 2004 when these facts were presented:

Arizona, Cleveland, Miami, St Louis, Seattle, San Fransisco, Cincy were all ranked in the BOTTOM THIRD of the league in rushing defense in 2004. Oh, and you "forgot" to mention that Willis faced the 3rd stringers against the Steelers in the last game of 2004. THAT'S NINE SOFT DEFENSES AGAINST THE RUN. The best of that group in YPC against was SF at 4.0 (who you so brilliantly rank soft).

All McGahee could accomplish was to gain yards at a rate BELOW the AVERAGE YPC given up by those teams. Which makes him...... drum roll please...... BELOW AVERGE.

Nice, real nice.

Shot down, AGAIN.....

nyjunc said:
That's the point on Ronnie, as talented as he is we don't know if he'd do that w/ the same amount of carries b/c he never has. How do we know he can last a full season?

Every player in the league risks getting injured on every play. To take your argument to the extreme. Reggie Bush is not as good as any player that has already started in the NFL, no matter how poorly that player has played. That is just stupid.

If Reggie Bush were in a division with the three worst starting RBs from last season, you'd rank Bush last? WTF?

I'm done with this argument. ONLY a Miami fan would suggest that, currently, Ronnie Brown is better than Willis McGahee. What's hysterical is that you claim that like it's common knowledge. The numbers speak for themselves; I don't care if Brown averaged 0.4 yards more per carry. He doesn't have the carries, yards, or TDs that McGahee has. Right now he is comparable to a back like Tatum Bell, not McGahee.

nyjunc said:

That's pretty much what I'd said above. However, it doesn't seem like to much of a stretch for Ronnie to gain another 340 yards.

A) Ronnie had no pressure b/c of Ricky and B) Ricky wore teams down and fresh Ronnie came in w/ his speed and broke some long runs. he won't have the luxury of Ricky this year.

That's not really the case. Ronnie started 14 of the 15 games he played in. Many times it was Ricky who finished off the games late. But they generally split carries down the middle once Ricky got back into form.

And there was no Ricky the first four games of the season. Yet he managed 132 yards vs Carolina and 97 at Buffalo (at 5.7 ypc each).

Finally, I would argue there was a lot of pressure on Ronnie. Not only to live up to the #2 overall pick and $19 million bonus, but also to not be out-performed by Ricky Williams. There were plenty of Dolphin fans doubting him after he struggled in his first two outings. With Ronnie's situation and his suspension and minimum contract, Ricky was the one under little/no pressure.

B-LO said:
I'm done with this argument. ONLY a Miami fan would suggest that, currently, Ronnie Brown is better than Willis McGahee. What's hysterical is that you claim that like it's common knowledge. The numbers speak for themselves; I don't care if Brown averaged 0.4 yards more per carry. He doesn't have the carries, yards, or TDs that McGahee has. Right now he is comparable to a back like Tatum Bell, not McGahee.

Certainly, Willis McGahee has been more productive than Ronnie so far in their careers. So Willis has been better from the aspect of productivity.

But Newsflash, this just in: Ronnie was a rookie last year and had another very talented back splitting carries with him.

However, if you cannot clearly see that Ronnie has the talent, dedication and versatility to not only become the AFC East's best running back, but also one of the best in the league, then you, sadly, are the one among us who is in denial.

Has he done it yet? No. But there is every single reason to believe he will this year. The guy got even bigger, faster and stronger this offseason because he's been working his tail off from the moment the New England game ended.

...oh, and BTW, don't ever put "Tatum Bell" and Ronnie Brown in the same sentence again unless it has something to do with Tatum not being able to even sniff Ronnie's jock strap.

DolphinDevil28 said:
...oh, and BTW, don't ever put "Tatum Bell" and Ronnie Brown in the same sentence again unless it has something to do with Tatum not being able to even sniff Ronnie's jock strap.
Uh, Tatum Bell had 921 yards on 173 carries. That is better than what Brown did although the numbers are kinda close.

The only glaring difference between them is that Bell had twice as many TDs last year (Bell - 8, Brown - 4).

B-LO said:
Uh, Tatum Bell had 921 yards on 173 carries. That is better than what Brown did although the numbers are kinda close.

The only glaring difference between them is that Bell had twice as many TDs last year (Bell - 8, Brown - 4).

Dude, if you are even remotely suggesting that Tatum Bell is as good a running back as Ronnie Brown then you should have your football fan liscense completely revoked.

Tatum Bell can't hold Willis's jock either. Imagine Ronnie Brown or Willis McGahee in that system behind that o-line.

B-LO said:

The numbers speak for themselves? You throw out YPC as a meaningful number? You are in serious denial.

Here are some unbiased rankings.

From usatoday.com

7. Ronnie Brown, MIA
13. Willis McGahee, BUF

From yahoo sports

Tier 3: Ronnie Brown
Tier 4: Willis McGahee

From sportsillustrated.cnn.com

11 Brown, Ronnie MIA
13 McGahee, Willis BUF

Get over it.

Back