Biggest disappointment in Dolphins history? | Page 12 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Biggest disappointment in Dolphins history?

Yeah and I remember that Sports Illustrated cover of “The Sunshine Boys”with Danny boy and Jimmy Johnson… They were happy in the beginning. I think they almost made it to a point where they could’ve possibly gone all the way… But when Jimmy took away Danny boy’s ability to audible… I think it went downhill from there.
I thought that happened at the very beginning? We were forced fed a healthy dose of Abdul jabbar in year one

I don’t think it was in year one… But I don’t really know for sure, back then the information flow was way different than these days… Abdul-Jabbar was a pretty good running back. And to be fair to Jimmy Johnson… He drafted some really good defensive players.

My most disappointing moment in Dolphins history was the way the 1995 season played out. Miami was a pre-season favorite to go far into the playoffs, if not win it all. Don Shula went all in by gambling in free agency on overpriced/underperforming players (Eric Green), aging former star players that were shells of their former selves (Gary Clark and Ricky Sanders), players that were shells of their former selves due to injuries (Steve Emtman), and an absolutely horrible 1995 draft class, that featured offensive linemen Billy Milner and Andrew Greene - both of whom were out of the league within two years. After going 4-0 through the first quarter of the season, it appeared that Coach Shula had done exactly what he had set out to do. But after blowing a 24-3 lead at home to a Jim Harbaugh-led Indianapolis Colts team (and ultimately losing the game 27-24), it became obvious that the Dolphins' defense had some serious deficiencies in the linebacking corps and secondary, not to mention a finesse offensive line that was decent at pass-blocking, but woeful at run-blocking. Morale and discipline eroded as the season went on. Players were routinely walking in late to team meetings (without any repercussions) after getting haircuts. Also, there was serious bad blood between FS Gene Atkins (who ended up going to prison for trying to hire a hit man) and FS Louis Oliver, who both believed they were the better player and deserved to start. Coach Shula even went to sleep in meetings. The wheels were coming off fast in Miami. They stumbled to a 9-7 finish after starting out 4-0, and managed to make the playoffs, where they were trampled by the Bills, allowing a playoff record 341 rushing yards. I was a sad realization for me at the time that the game had passed Don Shula by and it was time for a change.

My most disappointing moment in Dolphins history was the way the 1995 season played out. Miami was a pre-season favorite to go far into the playoffs, if not win it all. Don Shula went all in by gambling in free agency on overpriced/underperforming players (Eric Green), aging former star players that were shells of their former selves (Gary Clark and Ricky Sanders), players that were shells of their former selves due to injuries (Steve Emtman), and an absolutely horrible 1995 draft class, that featured offensive linemen Billy Milner and Andrew Greene - both of whom were out of the league within two years. After going 4-0 through the first quarter of the season, it appeared that Coach Shula had done exactly what he had set out to do. But after blowing a 24-3 lead at home to a Jim Harbaugh-led Indianapolis Colts team (and ultimately losing the game 27-24), it became obvious that the Dolphins' defense had some serious deficiencies in the linebacking corps and secondary, not to mention a finesse offensive line that was decent at pass-blocking, but woeful at run-blocking. Morale and discipline eroded as the season went on. Players were routinely walking in late to team meetings (without any repercussions) after getting haircuts. Also, there was serious bad blood between FS Gene Atkins (who ended up going to prison for trying to hire a hit man) and FS Louis Oliver, who both believed they were the better player and deserved to start. Coach Shula even went to sleep in meetings. The wheels were coming off fast in Miami. They stumbled to a 9-7 finish after starting out 4-0, and managed to make the playoffs, where they were trampled by the Bills, allowing a playoff record 341 rushing yards. I was a sad realization for me at the time that the game had passed Don Shula by and it was time for a change.
Wow the amount of detail here shows it hit you hard. Let it go 😂

1985 AFC Championship game.
6 turnovers gave it to the Pats.
They went on to bore the world with a pathetic SB effort - never in it.
Mores the pity as the Fins beat the Bears earlier and it would of been a far better game.
Dan might of got his ring.

Back
Top Bottom