Bill Parcells: "Miami Can't win the AFC East." | Page 5 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Bill Parcells: "Miami Can't win the AFC East."

Originally posted by PatsFanTX

Sorryif the truth hurts folks, but it was, and is, vastly over rated.

For one it was only 14 games, so don't make comparisons why teams can't do it when now there are 2 more games.

Secondly, your cream puff schdule had more to do with it than anything. Your opponents winning pecetage that year was the easiest of any Super Bowl team. A pathetic .367% Way to crush the tough teams.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/statitudes/news/2001/01/15/super_schedules/

If that undefeated team was so good, why didn't they string together a few more championship seasons like the Packers and Steelers? They were just a fluke team who had a cream puff schedule.

Does anyone even go 14-0 anymore? Don't think so.

Quit your whining. Have you seen the reason you are 9-2? How many of the teams you played had their back up QB? Someone mentioned this the other day.

Quit acting like you're tough **** just cause you FINALLY won a SB and your coach has bigger tits then Parcells.

For one it was only 14 games, so don't make comparisons why teams can't do it when now there are 2 more games.

Secondly, your cream puff schdule had more to do with it than anything. Your opponents winning pecetage that year was the easiest of any Super Bowl team. A pathetic .367% Way to crush the tough teams.

If that undefeated team was so good, why didn't they string together a few more championship seasons like the Packers and Steelers? They were just a fluke team who had a cream puff schedule.

Fluke? 71 team was in the SB, 72, Undefeated SB champs BEAT pitt on the road, then Won the SB, 73, Won the SB, 74 lost alot of talent to the WFL and still nearly went back to the SB, take your bitterness that no one, including your Pats ever could match a Perfect season and hit the road

There is no comparison between Shula and Parcells.

In Shula's early era there was no free agency, no salary cap and no parity whatsoever. He won early on with a team that flat-out had better talent (the undefeated season, which BTW, is one of the most vastly over rated accomplishments in all of sports) than other teams.

He also had the luxury of having one of the greateast QB's ever to play the game and finished with zero rings with him.

Parcells on the other hand, took the pathetic (when he took over) Giants, Patriots, Jets, and now the Cowboys and turned them into winners.

From a pure coaching perspective, Shula's name should not even be mentioned in the same sentence as Bill Parcells.

Dude, you are totally wrong on this one. Even if you take away the fact that Shula coached an undefeated season, he still is the winningest coach in NFL history.Parcells has a long way to go to be considered in Shulas league.What he is doing right now holds nothing to what Shula did during his tenure in coaching.Parcells is a good coach, but being a good sprinter doesn't mean you could win marathons.

OK then. When was the last time a team went 17-0 BEFORE losing in a 16 game schedule then?? !! That's a pretty damn weak argument!! :lol: :lol:

I think the undefeated season is a remarkable achievement.

Unfortunately, people want to parallel that with the best teams of all time.

Nobody is saying they're the best ever, they just own that distinction.

I think many teams since then were better. That may not even be the best Miami team ever.......

There is no comparison between Shula and Parcells.

In Shula's early era there was no free agency, no salary cap and no parity whatsoever. He won early on with a team that flat-out had better talent (the undefeated season, which BTW, is one of the most vastly over rated accomplishments in all of sports) than other teams.

He also had the luxury of having one of the greateast QB's ever to play the game and finished with zero rings with him.

Parcells on the other hand, took the pathetic (when he took over) Giants, Patriots, Jets, and now the Cowboys and turned them into winners.

From a pure coaching perspective, Shula's name should not even be mentioned in the same sentence as Bill Parcells.

dude its much easier to turn losers into winners when you have free agency and your taking over complete idiots from there coaching vacancy. i give props to bill parsells but forget dissin shula. 340somethin wins is a record that will never...........i reapeat never be broken. people will be talkingabout don shula in the year 2112.

Originally posted by PatsWin2002
I think the undefeated season is a remarkable achievement.

Unfortunately, people want to parallel that with the best teams of all time.

Nobody is saying they're the best ever, they just own that distinction.

I think many teams since then were better. That may not even be the best Miami team ever.......

THAT IS FINE WHEN YOU SAY THAT YOU "THINK" THIS OR THAT. WHEN YOU SAID THAT IT WAS VASTLY OVERRATED, IT WAS A STATEMENT OF FACT AND NOT NECESSARILY OPINION. ;)

Originally posted by DeDolfan

THAT IS FINE WHEN YOU SAY THAT YOU "THINK" THIS OR THAT. WHEN YOU SAID THAT IT WAS VASTLY OVERRATED, IT WAS A STATEMENT OF FACT AND NOT NECESSARILY OPINION. ;)

You have a very good point here.

Yes, everything I said was just "my opinion".

And I agree with PatsWin2002, it is an accomplishment that can never be taken away and more than likely, never replicated.

I wasn't the one that said it was "vastly overrated".

Personally, I think it's "slightly" overrrated in the way you can't compare the old days to the present.

For instance...Cy Young had, what, 511 wins? That record won't be broken and it certainly doesn't make him the best pitcher of all time. Pitchers don't do the same things they did 100 years ago.
______

On another note...(the same note?)....ESPN has this article on Parcells up right now.

http://msn.espn.go.com/page2/s/bloc/031125.html

Bill Parcells' legacy as a head coach was formed by his two Super Bowl victories with the New York Giants. But he gained even further accolades after returning from his first "retirement." While other coaches have more victories and Super Bowl rings, Parcells stands out for his rebuilding of struggling franchises.

The Giants went 3-12-1 in his first season as an NFL head coach

After losing the 1986 opener to Dallas, the Giants won 17-of-18 games, including Super Bowl XXI, in which they defeated Denver 39-20. In 1990, the Giants went 13-3 to win another division title. They defeated Buffalo 20-19 in Super Bowl XXV.

The Patriots went from 2-14 in 1992 to a Super Bowl XXXI appearance in 1996 after four seasons under Parcells.

Parcells became the Jets' head coach/general manager in 1997 after the team surrendered four draft choices.

Signing a six-year, $14.2-million contract, Parcells took over a 1-15 laughingstock and brought it to the brink of the playoffs with a 9-7 record in his first season. In 1998, the Jets won their first AFC East title in 29 years by finishing 12-4. They advanced to the AFC championship game, where they lost 23-10 to Denver.

After the Jets went 8-8 in 1999, Parcells stepped down as coach but stayed an additional season as GM before leaving the team.

He stepped away from a comfortable gig as a television analyst to accept Dallas owner Jerry Jones' offer of $17.1 million for four seasons to resurrect the Cowboys as their coach.

Where do I start..............

First of all....Shula averaged 10 wins a season for 34 years....REMARKABLE. Parcells could not carry Shula's jock strap with a forklift.

As for the best team of all time......It probably was...it has 5 guys in the hall of fame and FOUR more that are still eligible for consideration and one of them on the ballot this year (Kuechenberg).

And for you Patties fans......Let me get this through your freakin heads.....YOU HAVE A SECOND RATE FRANCHISE AND A THIRD TIER TEAM.

You are not the: NY Yankees, SF Giants, LA Dodgers, Det Red Wings, Mont Canadiens, Tor. Maple Leafs, Boston bruins, Philly Flyers, LA Lakers, Boston Celtics, Dallas Cowboys, SF 49ers, GB Packers, Oak Raiders and MIAMI DOLPHINS.

So you see.....we belong in that category of great franchises...and you do not, so take your inferiority complex back to your loser Patties boards.

PS. Tell that homeless man on your sidelines to please wear a bra next time, because his cleavage is offensive to young children.

How am I not surprised that a Patriot fan would call the undefeated season "overrated"......and to bring up Shula's name with Parcells I think is a stretch. Think about it, Miami has had one losing season in what? 25-plus years!!!! We, unlike other teams (hint- Pats) didn't have to suck for almost a decade before we could field a competitive team. That is consistency people. Dean Smith for example won only 2 national titles, but I believe he is the greatest coach in NCAA history.

Furthermore....Funny how there are so many "true" patriot fans out there now, when I lived in that state for 20 years and you could get into Foxboro for 5 bucks, as late as the 1990's. I hate to be so blunt but I think you all are a little on the defensive side since everyone knows your world championship was a complete and total sham. Oakland won that game in the snow, and it was stolen away from them by some wierd interpretation of a totally unclear and vague rule.

The referee from that game should've gotten the Super Bowl MVP in my opinion, how's that?

You want to talk about overrated?

Please.....

Great post, and great points, you can't dispute that, but the pats fans will make up some reason.

72 phins didn't need a tuck rule!

Back
Top Bottom