Boomer's Top 15 | Page 10 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Boomer's Top 15

I am in pretty strong agreement with most of your picks Boom. There are 3-4 I have "minor" disagreements about (they aren't even worth typing about, splitting the hairs of a balding man is big waste of time IMO), and only one I have a major disagreement about and he is the one player I think many may be overestimating, and many will think I am out of my mind for thinking it, but that player is Calvin Johnson. I know he is big, I know he has good hands, I know he has pretty good speed, and I even know what OUTSTANDING BODY CONTROL he has. But the biggest and most obvious flaw about this guy when watching LOTS of highlights of him play, is that in ALL the highlight reels, I did not see ONE, NOT EVEN ONE FREAKIN SINGLE PLAY, in which there was anything that could be considered "separation" between him and the guy covering him, and in the NFL, that can spell problems. Now don't get me wrong, I think this kid will do fine in the nfl, but it seems like everyone thinks he is gonna be the next Randy Moss/ Jerry Rice, where I more realistically, at least in terms of on the field production, see him being more like the next Keyshawn Johnson (minus the a****** attitude of course :D), which aint a bad consolation prize, I just don't foresee this guy becoming the greatest receiver that ever lived like so many others see him becoming. I hope he proves me wrong!!, Because unlike so many other receivers, this kid has a REALLY good head on his shoulders!! Also Boomer, I wanted to know your thoughts on Justin Blalock, because I think this is one kid that is really flying under the radar and could be a freakin BEAST in the nfl. Has all the athletic ability in the world, only big knock on him seems to be his technique, something a Mr. Hudson Houck might know a thing or 2 about correcting. I only make like one sleeper pick every 2-3 years, and this is the guy I am picking, my last 2 though not "huge reaches" Drew Brees and Shawn Andrews, still did way better than many were expecting from them at the time, they are both pro bowlers. And I am going on record right now, that I think Justin Blalock is gonna be WAY better than even the very talented Shawn Andrews. Guess we'll know soon enough. But once again, awesome job boomer, I like that you provide a lot of sound evidence for your picks, there are many mock draft wanna bees who could learn from your example. Take care and I look forward to reading more of your posts bro!:cooldude:

I am in pretty strong agreement with most of your picks Boom. There are 3-4 I have "minor" disagreements about (they aren't even worth typing about, splitting the hairs of a balding man is big waste of time IMO), and only one I have a major disagreement about and he is the one player I think many may be overestimating, and many will think I am out of my mind for thinking it, but that player is Calvin Johnson. I know he is big, I know he has good hands, I know he has pretty good speed, and I even know what OUTSTANDING BODY CONTROL he has. But the biggest and most obvious flaw about this guy when watching LOTS of highlights of him play, is that in ALL the highlight reels, I did not see ONE, NOT EVEN ONE FREAKIN SINGLE PLAY, in which there was anything that could be considered "separation" between him and the guy covering him, and in the NFL, that can spell problems.

With all the respect in the world dude, you can't have seen him play much. Pick a play, any play.

Hell, I typed his name into You Tube looking for single plays to help you out and picked three at random to watch:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NRTvQGldpdU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=baeAsiaOdyM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G0XAtxQX97g

That is seperation and it happens all the time.

Boom I have a question.

If we don't trade up and get Quinn what do you think the possibilities are of drafting Carriker considering that we just resigned Vonnie for 4 years and replacing Roth as our DE would do exactly the same as drafting Willis and putting Crowder on the bench.

The reason I ask is because I like solid guys in the draft who seem as if they will produce a good amount at least. And I think that Carriker is one of those guys that can hold down a DE position for a good 8 years whilst performing at a high level.

Boom I have a question.

If we don't trade up and get Quinn what do you think the possibilities are of drafting Carriker considering that we just resigned Vonnie for 4 years and replacing Roth as our DE would do exactly the same as drafting Willis and putting Crowder on the bench.

The reason I ask is because I like solid guys in the draft who seem as if they will produce a good amount at least. And I think that Carriker is one of those guys that can hold down a DE position for a good 8 years whilst performing at a high level.

I think it's very strong. Firstly he's a great kid, a high character individual. Second, he's a hell of a player. And thirdly, whilst he wouldn't start, he'd be on the field a lot more than Willis would because that DL rotates so much. So he'd play the 5 technique behind Roth and the 3 behind Vonnie, but he'd be on the field an awful lot more than Willis.

I think it's very strong. Firstly he's a great kid, a high character individual. Second, he's a hell of a player. And thirdly, whilst he wouldn't start, he'd be on the field a lot more than Willis would because that DL rotates so much. So he'd play the 5 technique behind Roth and the 3 behind Vonnie, but he'd be on the field an awful lot more than Willis.

Thanks a bunch.

I just think that he would be a very solid pick at 9 and solidify that position for so long and keep our pass rush very strong with a good run stuffing presence also.

Thanks a bunch.

I just think that he would be a very solid pick at 9 and solidify that position for so long and keep our pass rush very strong with a good run stuffing presence also.

No worries mate. And I concur with all you said there.

Marty,

You watch the rest of that game?

yes Simon, I did. The TD play to Ginn was just before the half. I prolly watched it 15 times. The db never had a chance... I'll have to take your word for it that he is actually very good db, because Mr. Ginn makes him look outclassed. By the second shake Ginn knew he had him... even if he HAD got his hands on him, unless he "held" he was beat. An aside, a guy with hands problems doesn't catch that ball. He caught it over his shoulder in stride and looked as natural as you can be.

Another thing not really addressed to much here, is the ability of Ginn to command attention. They used him regularly to clear out an area for another receiver, and #11 had a field day. Split him out and two guys are occupied on a sideline, allowing for serious opportunity elsewhere.
This guy really has become a favorite of mine... which is sayin' something for a 'Cane. Whoever picks him is going to be very happy, I am hoping in a larger way every day it is us. If we can make an end around work with CC, just imagine Ginn.... It seems that the "instant" you don't play him with two on him, he bites you, and not just long either. His slant is as scary as anybody I have seen.
He might SEEM to be a "luxury" pick, as we really DO have many holes to fill, but I just think that this kid brings a TON to the table. It seems ALL around him play UP when he is in. I would be very pleased if we somehow ended up with him on our roster.

yes Simon, I did. The TD play to Ginn was just before the half. I prolly watched it 15 times. The db never had a chance... I'll have to take your word for it that he is actually very good db, because Mr. Ginn makes him look outclassed. By the second shake Ginn knew he had him... even if he HAD got his hands on him, unless he "held" he was beat. An aside, a guy with hands problems doesn't catch that ball. He caught it over his shoulder in stride and looked as natural as you can be.

Take my word for it, Ross is good. He's a decent strong side corner, he is a read and react guy who likes to sidesaddle, a la Champ Bailey and can occasionally get caught peeking into the backfield, but he's strong, he's quick and he's a good tackler. But he was flat out beaten on that TD.

Ginn's ability to track the ball over his shoulder is one of his great assets. He makes a lot of over the shoulder catches. The whole "he has bad hands" thing is so overplayed by people who either haven't seen him at all or have seen cursory glimpes of him. It's the same as people saying he doesn't work the middle of the field, when it's patently obvious that he does.

Another thing not really addressed to much here, is the ability of Ginn to command attention. They used him regularly to clear out an area for another receiver, and #11 had a field day. Split him out and two guys are occupied on a sideline, allowing for serious opportunity elsewhere.
This guy really has become a favorite of mine... which is sayin' something for a 'Cane. Whoever picks him is going to be very happy, I am hoping in a larger way every day it is us. If we can make an end around work with CC, just imagine Ginn.... It seems that the "instant" you don't play him with two on him, he bites you, and not just long either. His slant is as scary as anybody I have seen. He might SEEM to be a "luxury" pick, as we really DO have many holes to fill, but I just think that this kid brings a TON to the table. It seems ALL around him play UP when he is in. I would be very pleased if we somehow ended up with him on our roster.

Yeah, I've said it for ages and I keep repeating it, but it's the Reggie Bush factor. You absolutely have to account for him on every play. Anthonhy Gonzalez did what he did because he was afford that chance because Ginn was always covered by the #1 corner, with deep help.

Take my word for it, Ross is good. He's a decent strong side corner, he is a read and react guy who likes to sidesaddle, a la Champ Bailey and can occasionally get caught peeking into the backfield, but he's strong, he's quick and he's a good tackler. But he was flat out beaten on that TD.

Ginn's ability to track the ball over his shoulder is one of his great assets. He makes a lot of over the shoulder catches. The whole "he has bad hands" thing is so overplayed by people who either haven't seen him at all or have seen cursory glimpes of him. It's the same as people saying he doesn't work the middle of the field, when it's patently obvious that he does.

Yeah, I've said it for ages and I keep repeating it, but it's the Reggie Bush factor. You absolutely have to account for him on every play. Anthonhy Gonzalez did what he did because he was afford that chance because Ginn was always covered by the #1 corner, with deep help.

Gonzalez is a good reciever and will do very well in the NFL. Why? Because he is smart, fast, can go over the middle, and do a whole bunch of other things while being very underrated. I'll give you that Ginn garnered the attention, but then Gonzalez made them pay. Academic All American and a guy who will be the consumate pro and do great things, make a boatload of money and donate heavily to charity. He already does. Big character guy. To write off gonzalez over Ginn is a big misnomer Boomer. He would not be rated where he is if it werent true. It works both ways once a guy like Gonzalez makes teams pay.

Gonzalez is a good reciever and will do very well in the NFL. Why? Because he is smart, fast, can go over the middle, and do a whole bunch of other things while being very underrated. I'll give you that Ginn garnered the attention, but then Gonzalez made them pay. Academic All American and a guy who will be the consumate pro and do great things, make a boatload of money and donate heavily to charity. He already does. Big character guy. To write off gonzalez over Ginn is a big misnomer Boomer. He would not be rated where he is if it werent true. It works both ways once a guy like Gonzalez makes teams pay.

Please dont feel attacked but next to C. Johnson, Ginn jr. will make us extremly deadly. My opinion is that Gonzo wouldnt be getting this much attention if it wasnt for Ginn jr.

With all the respect in the world dude, you can't have seen him play much. Pick a play, any play.

Hell, I typed his name into You Tube looking for single plays to help you out and picked three at random to watch:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NRTvQGldpdU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=baeAsiaOdyM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G0XAtxQX97g

That is seperation and it happens all the time.

Sorry Boom, I stand corrected, You have opened my eyes to the realization that I need to cut back on my ESPN. ALSO, what are your thoughts on Justin Blalock?

Sorry Boom, I stand corrected, You have opened my eyes to the realization that I need to cut back on my ESPN. ALSO, what are your thoughts on Justin Blalock?

No worries dude.

And I like Blalock a lot and think he would be a superb 2nd round pick.

I think Blaylock would fit pretty well in what we are trying to do.

So he disappeared when Ginn went down against Florida why? Was he off giving money to orphans?

Check out a few of the games they played, there was not anything outstanding that gonzo did. Its clear he benifitted from the presence of Ginn.

Back
Top Bottom