Boomer's Top 15 | Page 13 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Boomer's Top 15

Wait a minute. You're arguing that interviewing Ginn means nothing because Mueller interviewed other guys as well. I can live with that (although Boomer is perfectly right in saying that you don't spend that much time with a prospect if you're not interested in drafting him), but then you're pulling exactly the same argument by saying that Mueller supposedly agrees with you because he interviewed these other guys. Which is it? Either the interviews mean nothing (then interviewing Quinn or Brown means nothing as well) or they are a good indicator for a team's interest - and then interviewing Ginn indicates exactly as much as interviewing Brown or Quinn.

Besides, Mueller more or less clearly stated on several occasions that he does not believe in draftin according to need.

To be honest, if Meuller said anything else he'd be out of a job. BPA is just a talking point when you're talking first round. Of course you want a guy who can make an impact on your team, unless you can grab a guy someone else wants worse and get a mess of picks for him. We might be in a position like that come the draft, but I don't see it happening.

take it as you will but Ginn isn't the only guy we interveiwed, just because we interviwed him doesn't mean we will draft him

Boomer never said that we would draft him. He said that it was a possibility and judging from the actions of our FO it indeed is. Mueller is a BPA kind of GM, and if he comes to the conclusion that Ginn is the BPA at #9, he'll probably go for it. Do we know that Mueller thinks him the BPA? No. But there are strong indicators that Ginn is among those who Mueller considers the BPA pool. That doesn't mean we're eventually going to draft him, but it does mean that we are giving it strong consideration. And that's all Boomer said.

To be honest, if Meuller said anything else he'd be out of a job.

Why would he? He wouldn't be the first or only GM who commited to drafting players that fit the system or fill a big need. A lot of GMs did and said so and none of them were fired because of it (if they were, it was rather because the players they drafted didn't fill a need or fit the system that perfectly).

Why would he? He wouldn't be the first or only GM who commited to drafting players that fit the system or fill a big need. A lot of GMs did and said so and none of them were fired because of it (if they were, it was rather because the players they drafted didn't fill a need or fit the system that perfectly).

Call it some strange unwritten rule, but for whatever reason BPA is the spoken rule, and need is what goes on in real life.

Call it some strange unwritten rule, but for whatever reason BPA is the spoken rule, and need is what goes on in real life.

Sorry, mate, but that's simply not true. There are in fact several GMs I've heard talking about the draft in recent weeks and years who didn't even get close to using the word BPA. Saban was just one of them. The unwritten rule is that you don't talk about draft strategy at all. So when someone like Randy Mueller more or less clearly states that he'll go for BPA that tells you something.

Besides, I wouldn't agree to need being the real life choice. Many NFL teams don't draft according to need because it's dangerous.

Boomer - a quick note of thanks for your efforts and insight here. I have a quick question I was hoping to get your thoughts on.

So many mocks have us taking Branch at 9 and most with comments saying how non existant our interior defensive line is. Are they just not aware of our young depth with Fred Evans, Rodrique Wright, and (possibly) Manny Wright.

or

Is it a case where we as Dolphin fans are over valuing these guys - what's your assessment of these young defensive lineman and is D-line such a need and/or slam dunk pick at number 9?

thanks again...

just for the record, my round one hopefuls

1) Quinn - willing to trade up as high as the Bucs pick to get him
2) Landry
3) Peterson
4) Ginn

Fair enough. I'm not going to dispute your impression (I'm fully aware that I'm part of the tiny minority that thinks Nelson horribly overrated), but I recently watched the bowl game again and it solidified my analysis. In about one third of the running downs, Nelson simply didn't do anything besides running aimlessly through the backfield. There were several playes where he could've easily made the tackle (or assist with it) but just didn't. In addition, I saw him missing quite a lot of easy tackles (not in that game, but in the others I saw), because he attempted to deliver a knockout blow, which is a weakness that would concern me a lot. All things considered, I think Nelsen has quite a lot of physical talent, but I'm questioning if he's got the brains to use it. He's playing too ****y at times, while he doesn't seem to fully understand what's going on at others. As I like my safeties to have great field vision and that certain kind of game intelligence, I'd take Landry over Nelson any time. And I'd bne hesitant to pick Nelson in the top 20.
While Nelson does get caught up with attempting to make the big hit at times, he is very good at run support. Further, Florida's defense was designed to let Nelson run freely due to his recovery speed. It may have looked as though he ran aimlessly, but more times than not he was in position to make the play either on the ball while in the air or chasing down a running play. I am not sure on what basis you say he lacks brains or is too ****y. However, that's what these forums are for - expressing your opinion. I enjoyed the debate.

I'm curious about Boomer's opinion on that as well, but he'd have a hard time convincing me that we're set with two seventh round draft choices and a 5th round supplemental pick who didn't play football for a year. That said, I think that both Evans and Wright definitely have talent (Wright might be better suited to play end down the road though). However, they were late round picks for a reason. Rod Wright because of his injury and poor work ethic, Fred Evans because quite frankly no one considered him NFL starting caliber. Quite apparently, we didn't either. If Evans develops into a solid backup, that's about the best you can expect from a 7th round choice - there's always that slim chance that he'll become more, of course, but that's nothing you can rely on. To me, Evans looked like a decent future backup - not a dominant tackle.

When it comes to Manny Wright, he definitely has the talent to start in the NFL (I just don't see him as a nose tackle). However, with his questionable work ethic and his constant weight problems (not to mention the fact that he doesn't seem mature enough), I wouldn't rely on him as well. I think there's a bigger chance that he'll be out of the league in a couple of years than that he's starting for the Dolphins. So essentially our d-line depth consists of three questionmarks. One (or two) of them might pan out, but the question is whether or not you can or should rely on that. I'd say no. However, with the resigning of Traylor, we have the luxury of ignoring that problem another season, hoping that we'll hit the jackpot with one of those three. If I had the chance of drafting a dominant tackle, however (I don't see one though), I'd go for it.

I'm curious about Boomer's opinion on that as well, but he'd have a hard time convincing me that we're set with two seventh round draft choices and a 5th round supplemental pick who didn't play football for a year. That said, I think that both Evans and Wright definitely have talent (Wright might be better suited to play end down the road though). However, they were late round picks for a reason. Rod Wright because of his injury and poor work ethic, Fred Evans because quite frankly no one considered him NFL starting caliber. Quite apparently, we didn't either. If Evans develops into a solid backup, that's about the best you can expect from a 7th round choice - there's always that slim chance that he'll become more, of course, but that's nothing you can rely on. To me, Evans looked like a decent future backup - not a dominant tackle.

When it comes to Manny Wright, he definitely has the talent to start in the NFL (I just don't see him as a nose tackle). However, with his questionable work ethic and his constant weight problems (not to mention the fact that he doesn't seem mature enough), I wouldn't rely on him as well. I think there's a bigger chance that he'll be out of the league in a couple of years than that he's starting for the Dolphins. So essentially our d-line depth consists of three questionmarks. One (or two) of them might pan out, but the question is whether or not you can or should rely on that. I'd say no. However, with the resigning of Traylor, we have the luxury of ignoring that problem another season, hoping that we'll hit the jackpot with one of those three. If I had the chance of drafting a dominant tackle, however (I don't see one though), I'd go for it.

I think Okoye and Branch both fit the bill, the question is, how does Mueller feel about what we already have?

we also interviewed alot of other prospects at other positions. fact of the matter is that it is probably big enough of a need that we will go WR in round 2 but not round 1, not for a guy slated to go alot lower then #9. Mueller wouldn't be doing his job if he wasn't looking at all of his options. but Ginn at #9 would be a huge reach and OL with Levi Brown or QB with Brady Quinn are much better ways to go. those are both bigger needs than WR in my opinion and I'm sure Mueller agrees. he has interviewed both of those guys

A huge reach?????

Says who????

Not many people. Kiper has him in his top 10 again now it looks as though he'll run before the draft. Joe Staley will get taken before Brown. Staley may well be the pick at 9.

I'm glad you are so sure of what Mueller thinks.

does Brady Quinn ring a bell? we did the same thing with him and with a few other 1st round prospects

The likelihood of Quinn being there at 9 is what?

And please enlighten me about which injured players we flew to see, solely to have a chalk talk session with?

A huge reach?????

Says who????

Not many people. Kiper has him in his top 10 again now it looks as though he'll run before the draft. Joe Staley will get taken before Brown. Staley may well be the pick at 9.

I'm glad you are so sure of what Mueller thinks.

I like Staley alot Boomer...but you really believe the Dolphins would select him with the 9th pick?

Boomer - a quick note of thanks for your efforts and insight here. I have a quick question I was hoping to get your thoughts on.

So many mocks have us taking Branch at 9 and most with comments saying how non existant our interior defensive line is. Are they just not aware of our young depth with Fred Evans, Rodrique Wright, and (possibly) Manny Wright.

or

Is it a case where we as Dolphin fans are over valuing these guys - what's your assessment of these young defensive lineman and is D-line such a need and/or slam dunk pick at number 9?

thanks again...

just for the record, my round one hopefuls

1) Quinn - willing to trade up as high as the Bucs pick to get him
2) Landry
3) Peterson
4) Ginn

Branch is absolutely one of the most difficult players to call. You can watch 10 games and you'll see 10 different performances. When he's on, he can be unplayable, but when hs off, he's a liability, if I'm frank.

I think we, as fans, who live and breathe Miami every day, are more aware of our young depth. But on the other hand, what have they done? Manny showed brief flashes, the team seem very high on Freddie and Rodrique Wright wasn't a possible first round pick for nothing.

But I say again - what have they done?

The re-signing of Traylor was important and you can look at players like Tank Tyler and Paul Soliai in rounds two and three or there's the elephant in the room that is Branch. I don't know what the team thinks about his inability to play consistently with a high motor and whether they think that it's not so much of a problem with us because of our rotation?

The Combine threw up some off field issues with scouts in regards some of the people he runs with - much like they do with Troy Smith and Marshawn Lynch. I'm really not sure, but he absolutely has to be a possibility at 9, considering what he can do for us.

I like Staley alot Boomer...but you really believe the Dolphins would select him with the 9th pick?

Yes Pete, I truly do.

I think if someone put a gun to my head and said 'name three most likely picks at 9', I'd say:

Ted Ginn Jr.
Adam Carriker
Joe Staley.

Back
Top Bottom