Breaking News: Judges Rule in favor of NFL | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Breaking News: Judges Rule in favor of NFL

SO this means that they would be ineligable for NCAA right. Or am i not understanding that correctly?

It sounds like the ruling is a little more complicated than that. It sounds like the court has not ruled in the NFL's favor, it is simply not allowing Clarett and others in the draft until the court has a chance to rule, which could be before the draft. If the ruling is Clarett's favor before the draft, he would be eligible, if after, he and Mike Williams would go in a supplemental draft.

All this does is make the draft even more uncertain. Chaos--gotta love it! :eek:

Thats the way I read it also Spike, but neither player can go back to football in the NCAA....they have hired agents...now, the fun really begins...if the panel finally rules against these two guys, that opens up lawsuits against the NFL by them....(you know, the old "you should have warned me that I may not be eligible").

If there is a supplemental draft, I wonder how that would work...I guess the teams that draft them lose a pick next year ??

I didn't think the NFL would win, but I am happy they did. I really like the "three year" rule because I don't think players that have only been in college for one or two years are ready for the NFL. However, I do feel bad for Mike Williams. He saw a chance to go into the NFL after the ruling and he took advantage of it, and now he is getting screwed. He won't be allowed to go back to USC next year and I don't think he deserves to get punished because a judge made a ruling allowing players that are less than 3 years removed from HS graduation to enter the league, and then later having another judge change the decision. I think that Williams and Clarett should get exemptions to enter this draft because they are getting screwed if they can't get into the league.

You're right Larry. They can't go back to college.

A supplemental draft goes in order of this year's draft. Each team is given a chance to pick the eligible player. If no one takes him in the first round, we start again in the second round, and on and on until the end of the seventh round. Anyone not taken is automatically a free agent. Any player picked is part of this year's draft class but the pick comes out the selecting team's picks from next year.

Therefore if let's say Arizona took Clarett in the second round of the supplemental, they would lose their second round pick in the 2005 draft.

This is not good for us at all. I think Evans could now be gone before our pick and/or we might have to take him at 20 if we do want him instead of being able to trade down and still get him.This could change things for a lot of teams. I guess we'll find out on saturday. The other guy wasn't goin gtill the 3rd or 4 round anyway imo.

Ozzy rules!!

spike owen said:
You're right Larry. They can't go back to college.
Therefore if let's say Arizona took Clarett in the second round of the supplemental, they would lose their second round pick in the 2005 draft.

Thought a number 2 this year was worth a 1 next year!

:roflmao:

Ice, I don't think Williams should get punished for this either...perhaps the NCAA would allow him back if he requested it...I don't share the same opinion in Clarett's case. He screwed himself in college and is expecting the NFL and NCAA to "fix" things for him...Yes, it probably happened because he is only a 20 yr old kid, but he should have to pay for that mistake alone, not the rest of them...they just followed suit hoping to get into the NFL....

Jeez, you guys get ahead of yourselves

the NFL got given a stay which just means that if the draft were today he'd be out. The case will be sped up, and a decision made by Saturday I imagine. Clarett and Mike will be in the draft, I called it back in September.

The NFL can't just say "it's good for us, them and the sport". That means NOTHING to a law court. What matters to them is whether he (Clarett) has the right to, which it has already been decided he does. Nothing further has been produced to say he doesn't. I see this as a last ditch attempt to hope the court don't rule in time by the NFL.

Also Mike would be allowed either back to college or int he league as a special case as he declared post ruling. That's a no brainer.

Mebeverine said:
Also Mike would be allowed either back to college or int he league as a special case as he declared post ruling. That's a no brainer.

My thoughts exactly, because he declared after it was ruled legal there would have to be an exception made if it is overturned. Williams would be stupid to go through the supplemental draft and not just put in another year and come out as the best next year. If he does go back he could very well be the number one pick in the draft next year which would be soooooo much more money.

I think you guys are wrong.
The judges granted a stay today, that is correct. However, the NFL is making the argument that since the rule was part of the collective bargining with the players union, it is exempt from anti-trust laws.

The judges felt this is very strong argument so they granted the stay. If the NFL eventually looses, then it would have broad affect across many industries.

As compicated as it all is, I doubt they will sort it out by draft day.

So I expect it will impact the draft.

And they both would be ineligible to play in the NCAA next year.

Clarett would, but Mike Williams will be allowed back despite having hired an agent. Mark my words.

And even failing that, it'll be sorted by supp draft time.

Last edited by a moderator:
If Mike Williams can't enter this year's draft, it hurts us because that's one top 20 player off the board and that makes guys like Evans and Andrews more likely to be gone at 20 or a spot we trade down to.

Back
Top Bottom