Breaking News: Judges Rule in favor of NFL | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Breaking News: Judges Rule in favor of NFL

DrAstroZoom said:
Wow ... this is a shocker, quite frankly, but I'm glad for the ruling.
I'm not. I think a man should be able to earn a living.

The judges are obviously a college football fan, and this too will be overturned. A man has the right to earn a living and when its all said and done then the NFL will have to let them in.

Mebeverine said:
Clarett would, but Mike Williams will be allowed back despite having hired an agent. Mark my words.

And even failing that, it'll be sorted by supp draft time.

On ESPN's draft special they said BOTH would be ineligible for the draft.

Mebeverine said:
Clarett would, but Mike Williams will be allowed back despite having hired an agent. Mark my words.

I think that would only strengthen a future suit against the NFL and NCAA accusing them of collusion on this very issue. That sort of collusion would seem to be a bit more problematic for the NFL and would drag the NCAA into it. I think the NCAA has to stand strong here. Well, let's put it this way -- I will have even less respect for them than I do now if they don't.

fin-atic said:
I think you guys are wrong.
The judges granted a stay today, that is correct. However, the NFL is making the argument that since the rule was part of the collective bargining with the players union, it is exempt from anti-trust laws.

The judges felt this is very strong argument so they granted the stay. If the NFL eventually looses, then it would have broad affect across many industries.

I don't think impact across many industrties necessarily follow. The DC opinion seemed relatively narrowly tailored to my admittedly amateur eyes, so the CC could affirm without impact on many industries if that is true.

Either way, I eagerly await the opinion. I'm sure it will make for excellent reading. :)

Both schools will petition for reinstatement and I think Mike Williams will definitely play nextyear as a college player.

Dphins4me said:
I'm not. I think a man should be able to earn a living.

The judges are obviously a college football fan, and this too will be overturned. A man has the right to earn a living and when its all said and done then the NFL will have to let them in.

I agree a man should be able to make a living but there are many jobs where access to them are controlled by contract agreements between unions and management. If a man desires such a job, he can gain access to them just like every other man who has that job already. Even if the present situation is overturned because of the way in which the current restriction has been established, there is a very strong probability that the players union and owners can re-address the issue and strengthen the restriction. The players favor the restriction as does management.

They'll be let back.

For those that are FOR this ruling, have you ever been a collegiate athlete? The "students" and I use that term loosely don't get to concentrate on their studies. While they SHOULD, it is near impossible to be a student athlete and pursue any education that you want. At ISU, you won't find a single sudent athlete in the Architecture program, one tried and just oculdn't take it. He had a choice, go for his dreams of being an architect and paying for 5 years of school, or letting the school pay for his education while he got a business degree.

Schools make an insane amount of money off of collegiate players. For some it pays off, and they go to the pro's, but the majority schools make the money, and they get nothing in return besides goign to that school, and like I said, it's not a very viable option to pursue an education of their choice with their schedule. I think college players should be allowed to get paid an amount. Granted it would HAVE to be a set standard, but they SHOULD make money, or they should be allowed to go pro, and make money off of their talents. I'm sorry, but its' wrong how much they give, and how little they get.

Let them come in if they want.... I don't care. Football is a physical sport... they will be sorry they came in early when their bodies were not fully developed. Sure it felt good in high school, and maybe your one year of college playing agianst guys that are at the most 3 years older then you with somewhat of a better work ethic. Come play with the big boys who can be 10 years older then you, lifting, and playing at the highest level for years, let those guys lay the lumber on you day in and day out and see if they still want to enter early....

Williams34Phins said:
Let them come in if they want.... I don't care. Football is a physical sport... they will be sorry they came in early when their bodies were not fully developed. Sure it felt good in high school, and maybe your one year of college playing agianst guys that are at the most 3 years older then you with somewhat of a better work ethic. Come play with the big boys who can be 10 years older then you, lifting, and playing at the highest level for years, let those guys lay the lumber on you day in and day out and see if they still want to enter early....

I imagine you feel the same way about guys who were let into the game who are younger than some people barred from entry, right? :rolleyes:

Even if the NFL wins this round, I hope they take the opportunity to address this before the next CBA gets negotiated. I prefer an objective test taking into account performance at a task or tasks, but even a pure age test would be better than what they have now...

iceblizzard69 said:
I didn't think the NFL would win, but I am happy they did. I really like the "three year" rule because I don't think players that have only been in college for one or two years are ready for the NFL. However, I do feel bad for Mike Williams. He saw a chance to go into the NFL after the ruling and he took advantage of it, and now he is getting screwed. He won't be allowed to go back to USC next year and I don't think he deserves to get punished because a judge made a ruling allowing players that are less than 3 years removed from HS graduation to enter the league, and then later having another judge change the decision. I think that Williams and Clarett should get exemptions to enter this draft because they are getting screwed if they can't get into the league.
They did not win. This is just a stay. Meaning that they believe the NFL might can win on appeal.

FinaciousOne said:
I agree a man should be able to make a living but there are many jobs where access to them are controlled by contract agreements between unions and management. If a man desires such a job, he can gain access to them just like every other man who has that job already. Even if the present situation is overturned because of the way in which the current restriction has been established, there is a very strong probability that the players union and owners can re-address the issue and strengthen the restriction. The players favor the restriction as does management.
How can two parties negotiate the right of a third party? I do not believe this is something that the CBA can address.

if the ruling stands til this weekend, i am sure that Clarett will enroll in a college somewhere to continue his education, even if his eligibility is gone due to signing with an agent... ROFL

Jimmy James said:
I imagine you feel the same way about guys who were let into the game who are younger than some people barred from entry, right? :rolleyes:

Even if the NFL wins this round, I hope they take the opportunity to address this before the next CBA gets negotiated. I prefer an objective test taking into account performance at a task or tasks, but even a pure age test would be better than what they have now...

I'm just saying go to school.... I know they want to play bad, but you can't bank your life on a football career. If he gets injured, where do they go from there, where do they fall back? Just finish school, get your education, and get the experience you need. No need to rush life.

Williams34Phins said:
I'm just saying go to school.... I know they want to play bad, but you can't bank your life on a football career. If he gets injured, where do they go from there, where do they fall back? Just finish school, get your education, and get the experience you need. No need to rush life.

So you think they should be required to pass up millions that they'd get in the NFL at this point to play for a college that makes hundreds of thousands of dollars off of their playing ability, and risk injury?

That's really what it boils down to. I'm not going to say they SHOULD leave school, but think of it like this...

What if you were in business college, but had a family business that you had an oppertunity to take over mid-way through your college career. One that would set you for life...

But you can't just leave because colleges and a national business organization were in cahoots and required you to be in school for 2 years before you were able to take over a business?

It would be a risk to drop out of school, passing up the chance at a degree for a business that could flop. You can't bet on that either, yet your free to do so. Now think if your school was making hundreds of thousands of dollars per year because your GOING to school. ANd in the period it takes for you to get your elegibility, you might not be able to take over that business (like a football player getting injured).

Have to put yourself in their shoes to really judge the situation.

Williams34Phins said:

I frankly think you just made the case for why guys should be able to go NFL out of high school better than you did anything. Why go to college and play for nothing where you can destroy your money making potential due to injury-- it happens to plenty of guys every year. If I am talented enough to do both, and I go NFL then I have plenty of money to get a real education on my terms in the event my career ends tragically. If I go to college and my career gets ended like Kelley Washington's almost did, then I have part of an "education" that is really just a justification for my football playing and no money to start a business or get a real education with.

The student athlete isn't dead, but he is almost extinct in the world of college football. Even the athlete student is getting rarer...

Back
Top Bottom