***brian Flores Super Thread*** | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

***brian Flores Super Thread***

Flores may end up being a good coach, but the reason people like Richard is not because he’s a screaming gladiator maniac... it’s because he is a teacher. Yes, he is more aggressive, but you can also see how he relates to players and teaches not only fundamentals but ways to be mentally strong and prepared for any situation. I think you really downplay Richard’s positives when you describe him as just some screaming tough guy.

I know Richard is a teacher - which is why I said I would be happy with the hire. Just want Flores more

I actually think its going to come down to who is available after this weekend. If only 1 of the candidates is available it will be fairly obvious if they are "holding out" for the other one, which would prob turn off the available guy. I can see them just going with whoever is available after this weekend. Now if they both become available at the same time it will be interesting. I'm just praying the Cowboys don't win while the Pats lose. That would be disastrous.

I think they all are deserving, but I would like to see either Richard or Flores get the nod. Nothing against Rizzi, but we need a change of culture.

I know Richard is a teacher - which is why I said I would be happy with the hire. Just want Flores more

I would be ok with either, but you have convinced me. Before, I didn't even want to consider Flores, but the more I learn about him the more I like him. It's easy to dismiss him because he comes from the BB tree, but I think he has the personality to overcome that. My impression is he coaches tough. He has high expectations and holds his guys accountable. At the same time he wants to teach and help them be successful on and off the field. I think his players like him a lot. All that matters a lot to me, so if Grier hires him. I am cool with it.

I would be ok with either, but you have convinced me. Before, I didn't even want to consider Flores, but the more I learn about him the more I like him. It's easy to dismiss him because he comes from the BB tree, but I think he has the personality to overcome that. My impression is he coaches tough. He has high expectations and holds his guys accountable. At the same time he wants to teach and help them be successful on and off the field. I think his players like him a lot. All that matters a lot to me, so if Grier hires him. I am cool with it.

Yeah, thats a good way of putting it. I know everyone is against the Flores hire, but I sure am not.

Thats exactly why I am so excited about Flores. Everyone wants the guy who can scream and yell and get in your face - like it's a gladiator match. What most posters don't understand is that wears off even if you are the greatest coach of all time. At some point players want to know you actually care about them and will be there for them. Thats the key in coaching and leading. Flores knows all facets of the game, but at the end of the day he can draw up the most intricate and complex designs but if the players don't get invested in winning FOR him and FOR each other, then it won't work. Flores may not be the mastermind Gase is, nor the organizational expert Philbin is, or the motivator that Dan Campbell or the late Tony S. was. The thing Flores is that he is a little bit of everything and BALANCED. He has a handle of all phases of the game and knows how to work with people smarter than him and guide that into a direction where it will benefit the team.

I'm probably the only Flores fan on this forum, but when I see a good coach, I will push for them as hard as I can. Flores isn't anything like Todd Bowles either. Todd Bowles has a huge ego and tells people to shut the **** up if they disagree with him. He's just more approachable and a nicer person than Gase was. If anything, Flores is similar to Belicheck, Nagy, and McVay in the regard that he wants to use football minds that are smarter than him around him, take their input and apply. He wants to collaborate and work as a team. He doesn't have any delusions of grandeur or think he's a genius. Its all about the team and making sure they succeed.

The best leaders are the ones who can admit they aren't the smart person in the room, and that its about surrounding themselves with smarter people and bringing the best out of each person to work together to a cohesive goal.
How do you know any of this?

To me that's the biggest knock on him and it's a legitimate knock which is hard to overlook.

Yeah, thats a good way of putting it. I know everyone is against the Flores hire, but I sure am not.
I just read on twitter it is rumored that Jim Caldwell could join Flores as OC. How would you feel about that?

I just read on twitter it is rumored that Jim Caldwell could join Flores as OC. How would you feel about that?

Good. He was with Dungy during the Colts glory years and helped shape the QBs and Peyton. He's taken his team to the Super Bowl as well and started 14-0.

He was the OC for the Ravens when they won the Super Bowl as well.

Would be a very good hire that would mesh well with Flores.

Not thrilled. The only thing I know about Jim Caldwell the OC is that he replaced Cam Cameron in 2012 and then was the OC of the 2013 Ravens. Baltimore's ranks in points scored:

2012: 10th
2013: 25th
2014: 8th

Joe Flacco's passer rating also dropped about 15 points that season, and then jumped right back up the next one. You'd have to dig deeper to see if there were any other underlying causes, but that does not inspire confidence.

He did good work on an interim basis replacing Cam Cameron in 2012 but I'm a littttttle concerned.

Ya know, everyone is debating the relative merits of Richard vs Flores as a fait accompli. My fear is the Fins are gonna fin and straight out of left field name Dennis Allen

Back
Top Bottom