Brian Flores Wants Josh Rosen To Rein In "gunslinger Mentality | Page 5 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Brian Flores Wants Josh Rosen To Rein In "gunslinger Mentality

wow. Flores is a joke. You want a QB who knows his receivers well enough to trust them with throws like that. Besides, it's preseason. Also, if anything is going to get done behind this offensive line, he'll have to make plays like this because he's going to be partly in the grasp most of the time. Big Ben and Rodgers have made a career out of being a "gunslinger"

The one handed reception and the pass near the goal line are trusting your receiver to make a play. A controlled, well placed pass where Williams has an opportunity. Coach Flores probably loves those decisions. The chuck it up in the air while in the grasp is just not a good decision.

I think you're missing the CORE POINT.

Gunslinger = SOLO.

Ya know. Team first.

Also -- Gunslinger = unnecessary (i.e., low percentage) risk.

Again. Not in the "teams" best interests. Not a sustainable winning platform.

Beyond that dear sir, you make a ton of assumptions that are, for the most part,

far more rooted in YOUR HEAD than (for example) mine.

Last, you lack the essential evidence to indict this "org" in the current manifestation.

Last I checked, Brian Flores has yet to coach his 1st NFL reg. season game. And unless you're

one of those who's expecting INSTANT Lombardy -- maybe chill a tad before making absolute

statements? Just a possibility. IMO.

Enjoy!
Same owner. Same GM. Neither have a track record of great decisions.

I think you're missing the CORE POINT.

Gunslinger = SOLO.

Ya know. Team first.

Also -- Gunslinger = unnecessary (i.e., low percentage) risk.

Again. Not in the "teams" best interests. Not a sustainable winning platform.

Beyond that dear sir, you make a ton of assumptions that are, for the most part,

far more rooted in YOUR HEAD than (for example) mine.

Last, you lack the essential evidence to indict this "org" in the current manifestation.

Last I checked, Brian Flores has yet to coach his 1st NFL reg. season game. And unless you're

one of those who's expecting INSTANT Lombardy -- maybe chill a tad before making absolute

statements? Just a possibility. IMO.

Enjoy!
As far as being patient goes, I'm not expecting instant results. In fact I'm just the opposite. I'm willing to totally sacrifice this season in order to finally get the QB situation settled. Play Rosen right from the start. Sink or swim. Either way would be progress for the franchise. Playing Fitzpatrick gets you nowhere. Once Miami traded for Rosen, there is a good case to be made that Fitzpatrick shouldn't even be on the team anymore.

That's another Patriot blueprint. Tom Brady doesn't take many chances. Even his throws down the field are usually mismatches with the tight end. I think Rosen probably should have thrown the ball away on the play discussed. I don't mind a little bit of a gunslinger mentality, but turnovers costs teams in the long haul. He needs to be smart about when to be more daring.

You are conflating numerous issues between two very different QBs. Flores is talking about throwing up the ball with no chance of a reception. Williams made an incredible play on that ball. If that play is repeated 100 times it is completed once or twice. There is a big difference between being a check down machine and throwing up that monstrosity of a pass.

Monstrosity of a pass??? Sheesh that comment reeks of agenda. Also, I think you and Flores are talking about 2 different passes. As others have stated, NEVER take the sack, throw it away if anything.

You want controlled gunslinger...you don’t give the game away but you have the confidence to gunsling when it’s necessary.

There’s a balance and I believe in not beating yourself...it was a hallmark of the back to back world champion Dolphins and the perfect team.

Rosen will learn that I think, and it’s clear to me that given a good O-line this kid has the goods.

The one handed reception and the pass near the goal line are trusting your receiver to make a play. A controlled, well placed pass where Williams has an opportunity. Coach Flores probably loves those decisions. The chuck it up in the air while in the grasp is just not a good decision.

nah, the pass was to a huge 6'4" receiver with great hands who he trusted to go get it AND I may be mistaken, but wasn't there a hold so it was a free play anyway? It's obvious people, mostly Tannehill fans, or people that want MIA to tank and land one of Tua/Hebert/Fromm, have an agenda when it comes to Rosen going by their reaction to this play where he supposedly "chucked it up"

In an era when teams are throwing the ball all over the yard Miami has a head coach that wants the QB to get rid of his "gunslinger" mentality. Great. Why didn't they just keep Adam Gase then? All of those bubble screens and runs on second or third and long fit that mentality perfectly. Do you think Freddie Kitchens is trying to rein in Baker Mayfield's gunslinger mentality? Do you think Andy Reid is doing that to Patrick Mahomes or Kingsbury is trying to rein in Kyler Murry? This organization is so bassackwards that they are not even going to start Rosen on opening day so they can get as many chances as possible to evaluate him and to see if he can make progress enough to know if he can be the long term answer at QB.
I think he was referring to that one play.

You want controlled gunslinger...you don’t give the game away but you have the confidence to gunsling when it’s necessary.

There’s a balance and I believe in not beating yourself...it was a hallmark of the back to back world champion Dolphins and the perfect team.

Rosen will learn that I think, and it’s clear to me that given a good O-line this kid has the goods.
Agreed. Brady only slings it these days at opportunistic moments and they keep going to the SB. The only thing w Rosen that is a red flag for me is he is late on a lot of simple timing throws that he wasn’t late on in collage. It was the book on him last year and we see some of it now. Hopefully he can get more natural, mechanical getting rid of the ball quicker on the easy out patterns etc. He’s got excellent pocket awareness and looks like a real QB back there. I think he’s going to be good.

nah, the pass was to a huge 6'4" receiver with great hands who he trusted to go get it AND I may be mistaken, but wasn't there a hold so it was a free play anyway? It's obvious people, mostly Tannehill fans, or people that want MIA to tank and land one of Tua/Hebert/Fromm, have an agenda when it comes to Rosen going by their reaction to this play where he supposedly "chucked it up"
I don’t have an agenda and I don’t want to tank. I’ve predicted 11-5 and will be pissed if we don’t attain that. I still think it was a bad decision in that moment. Now if it was a free play I stand corrected and suddenly think it was brilliant.

I just like seeing people being honest and consistent. If Rosen lobs that ball while being sacked and it's intercepted you would tell your qb not make that kind of pass. You can't change and say it's ok to make that kind of play just because it worked out. You have to be consistent regardless of the actual outcome.
I can't?????
I have to?????

Reminds me of a line from a Who song......

If the corner had any field awareness he easily could have jumped in front of the pass and picked it off.
I keep seeing people say if it was starters it's easily picked off etc. As if the WR would not have had a chance at it. It was a 50/50 ball and Rosen obviously trusts William's in those situations.

I am on both sides here.

On one hand he is right, Rosen shouldnt be throwing up a prayer as he is getting sacked and we are lucky Preston Williams is a monster.

On the other hand, dont break the kid. Dont try to make him play a way he doesnt know how to... unless that is what Rosen is missing in order to get better possibly?

I do know that Florez is a defensive minded coach. I just hope he isnt over reaching in the offensive side of things.

I think a majority of the "don't like the comment" posters may not have watched the entire game or be familiar with the specific play he was referencing.

It's not a throw you want your QB making. It was late (a few of his throws were late), and it was a duck....Rosen played well but that's a throw you don't want to let your QB make on a regular basis.

I think you guys need to watch Rosen’s top 10 plays of 2018 if you think those contested throws or tight window throws or even go get it for me and make a play throws while under heavy contact/pressure are Ill advised.

Cause that top 10 is littered with placement throws where only his man can make a play.

The int is just I got zone made the decision pre snap he was going there post snap didn’t locate that lb who ran under his eyes.

He does need to speed up his post snap reads. Not all that natural with it. Needs to improve. Some hesitation to trust his eyes

Back
Top Bottom