Build Around Tannehill Or Make A Move At Quarterback? | Page 14 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Build Around Tannehill Or Make A Move At Quarterback?

so are you saying Tannehill and Russ both suck or??

Naw, just the general perception of Tannehill being a bum and RW being a boss is kinda funny to me when you look at his performances against GB and CAR in the playoffs. Can you imagine if Tannehill ever played like that in the playoffs, he'd be crucified. But RW always gets the benefit of the doubt because he has a ring due to a great team around him, like Foles this year. That's my point, not saying one is better than the other, but it's a lot closer than the casual fan typically thinks. Had Tannehill (Who Pete Carol apparently loved pre-draft) been drafted by Seattle and RW drafted by Miami, I think their careers may be looking juuuust a bit different at this point in time, but that's neither here nor there, just a theory of mine.

seriously though, i dont think you recognize elite play. its not always in volume. he was making every kind of throw, in tight spaces like never before; he was moving great in pocket; he was avoiding turnovers; and willing his team to wins.

by his own admission, the game in the last 3 or 4 games had slowed diwn tremendously for him and for the first time he was in complete control.

THATS what was so frustrating about that cheap shot injury. Ryan T WAS PLAYING ELITE ball at the time.

seriously though, i dont think you recognize elite play. its not always in volume. he was making every kind of throw, in tight spaces like never before; he was moving great in pocket; he was avoiding turnovers; and willing his team to wins.

by his own admission, the game in the last 3 or 4 games had slowed diwn tremendously for him and for the first time he was in complete control.

THATS what was so frustrating about that cheap shot injury. Ryan T WAS PLAYING ELITE ball at the time.

We can agree on most of this I hope he gets it back. I remember taking a nap after that game and woke up being bummed that RT had gotten hurt as we were closing in on the playoffs. It’s just been a lot of years waiting for Tannehill to pop. I think I got one more left in me tho lol

yep, long time coming and i myself started giving up on him earlier. but one thing is undeniable, the best we've ever seen him was the last we ever saw him.

so yeah, im on board with building the team and hoping he can return to form. be that good, and no better is all we need at that position.

Granted during Tannehill's 8 game "scoreboard" stretch after Gase's system kicked in, his YPG left something to be desired. However, during that stretch, most of his other metrics relative to league top QBs + his 2nd or 3rd best long ball completion percentage and top 4 QBR from a clean pocket - all with an OL ranked in the low 20s vs 31 and 32 definitely would put him in the top tier pantheon of QBs before Campbell's cheap shot at his knees.

Again, hopefully regaining the mobility he's had in the past, imagine how effective he could be with a top 50% ranked OL

Tannehill vs top QBs 2016.jpg

Im not sure how these correlate! 2 different points! Im not arguing that he didn't play well in that stretch I just think its a little overblown how well he actually played. He's getting a lot of glory for that stretch and season (which is warranted) I personally just want his "elite" games to be a little better but as long as we win I will support RT. I just feel you can only get so far with a glorified game manager back there. I know their are exceptions to that rule too (Dilfer, Foles etc) but we obviously don't have those supporting casts yet.

Ah, then yes, and I apologize.

Ryan Tannehill is never going to be the QB who puts up 400 yard games on a regular basis, but I think he's a little more than a glorified game manager. He can *absolutely* make special plays, and has done it more than many want to admit during pivotal parts of games.

Between 3:30 and 3:35 EST on mostly cloudy days, Tannehill has performed admirably with a clean pocket.

Gase and Cutler should have been a very smooth partnership with Cutler being able to run the offense and show what Gase wants to do. I don’t remember being impressed with what we were doing last season. Maybe Cutler had lost a step, become complacent (who was pretty complacent to start with) or lazy or really just couldn’t perform anymore. Gase the quarterback guru hasn’t shown much. Gase getting credit for Peyton Manning is like Spoelstra getting credit for Lebron James. If he can’t get something out of Tannehill I might not be so apt to think he needs to bring in his own guy and start from there. Tannehill should have all the tools for Gase to work with. If it doesn’t happen, we will have to take an honest look at is it Tannehill or is it Gase? Nothing wrong with bringing in a guy, even with the eleventh pick, to sit a year until we know.

Granted during Tannehill's 8 game "scoreboard" stretch after Gase's system kicked in, his YPG left something to be desired. However, during that stretch, most of his other metrics relative to league top QBs + his 2nd or 3rd best long ball completion percentage and top 4 QBR from a clean pocket - all with an OL ranked in the low 20s vs 31 and 32 definitely would put him in the top tier pantheon of QBs before Campbell's cheap shot at his knees.

Again, hopefully regaining the mobility he's had in the past, imagine how effective he could be with a top 50% ranked OL

View attachment 11980

Comparing someone best 8 game stretch to another's QB's whole season with different opponents is pointless.

A real comparison is how did the top QB's do against the same gauntlet Ryan faced going 7-1

If we just look at Brees for starters he played 4 common opponents from Ryan's 8 game stretch. S.D, S.F, L.A, and Arizona
Despite going 7-9 that season the Saints won those 4 games rather easily racking up an average of 46 points per game. That's right Forty Six!

Brees sliced and diced these 4 sub par teams for a 117 passer rating while throwing for over 300 yards per game and 13 TD's and 2 Ints in 4 games.
Much better numbers than what you are touting in 1/2 the games.
I'm not going to do the rest of the top QB's but I think you will find more of the same. If these top QB's faced that 8 game stretch they would probably be over a 100 rating also.

Football is about match ups and we should remember that when comparing individual players.

Comparing someone best 8 game stretch to another's QB's whole season with different opponents is pointless.

A real comparison is how did the top QB's do against the same gauntlet Ryan faced going 7-1

If we just look at Brees for starters he played 4 common opponents from Ryan's 8 game stretch. S.D, S.F, L.A, and Arizona
Despite going 7-9 that season the Saints won those 4 games rather easily racking up an average of 46 points per game. That's right Forty Six!

Brees sliced and diced these 4 sub par teams for a 117 passer rating while throwing for over 300 yards per game and 13 TD's and 2 Ints in 4 games.
Much better numbers than what you are touting in 1/2 the games.
I'm not going to do the rest of the top QB's but I think you will find more of the same. If these top QB's faced that 8 game stretch they would probably be over a 100 rating also.

Football is about match ups and we should remember that when comparing individual players.

Your point is taken however that doesn't obviate the reality that Tannehill with a marginally better OL than he's been saddled with the prior 2 years demonstrated what he was capable of. Also, comparing Tannehill to a QB with HOF credentials and 11 more years of experience, lining up behind the #12th ranked OL in 2016 (3rd best in 2015) with the benefit of a mastermind HC/OC is not exactly an apples to apples comparison.

Well you're right Tannehill could have won 8 of the last 8 games he played with his first non-incompetent ROOKIE H.C, but imo 7/8 isn't too bad. Tannehill gets a 4 year mulligan during the Queasy regime in my book, pretty sure a lot of young QB's would have struggled in that horrible situation. But hey that's all just opinion and speculation in the end as we all know Queasy will never get an opportunity to ruin a teams season again, let alone 4 lol.

To me, that would be more of the team balling out. Now, if next season Tannehill goes out and throws for 4000+ yards and 30+ touchdowns then I'd consider that him balling.

Back
Top Bottom