Calling Boomer and CK! | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Calling Boomer and CK!

I would not agree that he got embarrassed play after play in the Illinois game. He had his moments where his lack of ideal lateral movement skills and high cut body became an issue. However, in his defense I did not think he was embarrassed play after play.

Actually, the game I studies (Illinois) he did get embarassed play after play after play.

I also saw him clear guys out completely on the run. Which is the talent he will carry into the pros...which is why he projects as an elite Right tackle

Again...how does a player get embarrassed when he only gives up two sacks in four years? He cleared those players on the left side...he only gave up two sacks on the left side..that makes him a LT...on a team that will run more than pass...and here is the news...the new Dolphins offense will run more than it will pass. Again...look hard at the teams he played against..USC...FLA...O.S., Texas on and on...only two sacks.

Here's the options...Clady...a punk finese tackle who couldn't lift weights without hurting himself at the combine.

Cherilus;

Started all fourteen games at left offensive tackle, helping the Eagles rank seventh in the nation with an average of 323.9 yards per game passing, but the ground attack suffered quite a bit, finishing 106th nationally with an average of 99.2 yards per game…Registered 77 knockdowns with twelve touchdown-resulting blocks, finishing with a 78.0% grade for blocking consistency…Allowed 5.5 sacks for losses totaling 52 yards and four quarterback pressures, as he was also penalized seven times, including four flags in the Notre Dame clash. Started all 13 games at right tackle in '06. Started all 12 contests at offensive tackle in '05. Started all 12 games of his redshirt freshman campaign at offensive tackle; was the only freshman starter on the offensive line in '04. Redshirted in '03.

Lousy run blocker..gave up 5.5 sacks...played LT only one year...RT..should be his job.

Otah;

All-Big East Conference first-team selection…Recipient of the team's Ed Conway Award, given to the Panthers' Most Improved Player…Started all twelve games at the demanding left offensive tackle, helping the offense average 141.4 yards on the ground and 319.5 yards in total offense per game…Delivered 101 knockdowns, with thirteen resulting in touchdowns, as he graded 82.0% for blocking consistency…Had five of his blocks down field and was penalized twice…Saw his main coverage assignments register 8.5 quarter-back sacks and four pressures on 811 offensive snaps. Started all 12 games at left offensive tackle as a first-year JUCO transfer in '06. Considered one of the nation's top junior-college offensive line prospects, two-year starter at offensive tackle at Valley Forge Military Academy's two-year college, named Most Valuable Player of the Seaboard Conference, two-time first team All-Seaboard Conference, led Valley Forge to two conference co-championships.

Gave up 8.5 sacks...two year player.

Williams;

Senior Bowl Wednesday South Team Practice: Vanderbilt's Chris Williams has first round potential. He has a rare combination of size and agility and has shown the ability to pass block as either a left or right tackle. Unfortunately, he doesn't play with great physicality and "nastiness" to this point and generally seems satisfied with walling off blockers in the running game. His athleticism would be wasted at guard, where his fight with Bryant occurred. After the fight with Texas A&M's Red Bryant, I was curious to see how Williams would react. Some offensive linemen play better angry. Williams, clearly still distracted, was driven back easily.

Decent prospect...but seems to be easily had by defenders..not a great run blocker...in another words..a work in progress....and hope he turns into a better tackle.

Doing it in college is not the same as doing it in the pros. His skill set is more important than his statistical success.

Lots of guys do things well in college and then struggle to do the very same things in the pros.

He is a good football player. No doubt about it. The thing is that I am not convinced that his skill set will allow him to have the same success in the pros as he had in college.

Doing it in college is not the same as doing it in the pros. His skill set is more important than his statistical success.

Lots of guys do things well in college and then struggle to do the very same things in the pros.

He is a good football player. No doubt about it. The thing is that I am not convinced that his skill set will allow him to have the same success in the pros as he had in college.

You could say that about ANY college player...now couldn't you.

The point that I made was that skill set is more important than statistical success. I was not saying that you can't draft a guy high because he might fail. That is an illogical argument.

To go into greater detail, projecting players for the draft is not just about considering their success in college. It is just as important to evaluate the players skill set and determine whether he projects to similar success at the next level.

We should just not draft anyone so none of our picks fail. When your going to pony up the money for a #1 pick you have to take the player that has the best chance of being worth the money. Lets face this fact right no NO PLAYER IN THE DRAFT IS WORTH THE MONEY A #1 PICK GETS. Now we got 3 guys Long, Long, Ryan. Well start with Jake Long. There is a great debate over weather he can play LT. The fact is that he could be a Solid LT but hes not at the level of a prospect as Joe Thomas was so I dont think #1 money would be smart. Now Matt Ryan. He is the number 1 QB in the draft but I dont see any cant piss prospects like a Manning or Elway. WHat i see is another Alex Smith type draft where a team in need of a qb will reach cuz hes the best available. These facts are why Chris Long should be the pick. He has the least amount of question marks. He has pedigree, Heart, Motor, Leadership. COuld he be a bust? Yes BUT he has the least chances of failing of the three players arued to be the first pick.

We should just not draft anyone so none of our picks fail. When your going to pony up the money for a #1 pick you have to take the player that has the best chance of being worth the money. Lets face this fact right no NO PLAYER IN THE DRAFT IS WORTH THE MONEY A #1 PICK GETS. Now we got 3 guys Long, Long, Ryan. Well start with Jake Long. There is a great debate over weather he can play LT. The fact is that he could be a Solid LT but hes not at the level of a prospect as Joe Thomas was so I dont think #1 money would be smart. Now Matt Ryan. He is the number 1 QB in the draft but I dont see any cant piss prospects like a Manning or Elway. WHat i see is another Alex Smith type draft where a team in need of a qb will reach cuz hes the best available. These facts are why Chris Long should be the pick. He has the least amount of question marks. He has pedigree, Heart, Motor, Leadership. COuld he be a bust? Yes BUT he has the least chances of failing of the three players arued to be the first pick.

The last Linebacker to be the number pick in the draft was at least 20 years ago...and he wasn't a great linebacker.

Now I wonder why with all the great linebackers that have come out in the last 20 years...only one was drafted with the number one pick. You say that C. Long has the least chance...first I don't agree with you...but even using your words...he has that chance...considering he won't be playing the position he played while in college...it could be more than a least chance. You build a great team by drafting the lines first...then you add players in other positions. Most important on the Oline is L.T..and Center...we have a decent center...it's been along time since we had a decent LT...one that would be able to play the position for the next 10 years. Linebackers are found everywhere...free agents...and later in the draft...but LT's aren't as easy...as we all should know by now.

I agree on the Chris Long comment. People need to pay more attention to the fact that he will be asked to play a position he has never played before. That cannot be overlooked.

I also agree that good left tackles are so hard to find and so very valuable. Whether Jake Long is one of those is debatable. That said, Miami needs to have a plan to land either Otah or Clady or one of the second tier left tackles in this draft.

The last Linebacker to be the number pick in the draft was at least 20 years ago...and he wasn't a great linebacker.

Now I wonder why with all the great linebackers that have come out in the last 20 years...only one was drafted with the number one pick. You say that C. Long has the least chance...first I don't agree with you...but even using your words...he has that chance...considering he won't be playing the position he played while in college...it could be more than a least chance. You build a great team by drafting the lines first...then you add players in other positions. Most important on the Oline is L.T..and Center...we have a decent center...it's been along time since we had a decent LT...one that would be able to play the position for the next 10 years. Linebackers are found everywhere...free agents...and later in the draft...but LT's aren't as easy...as we all should know by now.

Since 1980 there has been 1 LB taken number 1 and 1 offensive lineman taken number 1. The Linebacker was Aundray Bruce and The OL was Orlando Pace. Im all for using statistics to back up our point but if your giong to bring them up lets see the truth.

I agree that Left Tackle is important but is Jake Long a Pace, Thomas, Bosselli, Ogden? If the answer is no then the first pick is a bit high for him. Is Matt Ryan a Elway, Aikman, Manning, or even a Bledsoe? If hes not its too high. Chris Long is with out a doubt the biggest lock in this draft. There for he should be our pick.

This would probably be the first time in the history of the draft that a guy who was being drafted to play a position he has never played before would be considered a lock. His work ethic is promising from a predictability standpoint. However, it would have been nice to see a body of work before tossing 30 plus mill guaranteed.

Well if Jake Long is no Ogden or Pace then maybe we should go with Chris Long? Are the other LTs far behind Long with regards to talent?

I think there are at least two left tackles who are better than Jake Long. Otah and Clady.

I would take Ryan and then call the Atlanta Falcons.

Back
Top Bottom