Calling Boomer and CK! | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Calling Boomer and CK!

I presume you responded that way because you are another one of those who simply regurgitates what the media tells them. Do you have an opinion of your own about the players skills set beyond the he only gave up one sack and very few penalties during his time at Michigan?

I agree on the Chris Long comment. People need to pay more attention to the fact that he will be asked to play a position he has never played before. That cannot be overlooked.

I also agree that good left tackles are so hard to find and so very valuable. Whether Jake Long is one of those is debatable. That said, Miami needs to have a plan to land either Otah or Clady or one of the second tier left tackles in this draft.

first off, I dont think BP is worried about C Long playing LB or DE. That is why his value is so huge! He is multi-talented and athletic with instincts to boot. in teh 3-4 you are a rushing LB when playing outside. His size dictates the ability to move him around to both spots, which is why he would fit BP's defense to a T.

Stop with this "he hasnt played this position before" crap. the fact is, the dude knows how to play football. PERIOD!

now for Jake Long. Those who claim he is not a LT obviously have not taken a good look around the NFL lately. I know one thing for sure, he would be a hell of a lot better than Matt Light of the NE Cheatriots and better than D'brickashaw. Jake Long is a beast! He has the wing span and mentality to do the job. Is he at Joe Thomas' level? a notch below, which dictates that he is a good LT. End of story.

Take Matt Ryan. Start him immediately. Let him take his lumps. He has all the skills. By year two he will have learned alot and will be ready to make us playoff contenders. Year three....Bill gets his dream................

Rolling into Jerry Jones' new stadium in Texas for Super Bowl 45 and watching him through binoculars the entire game as Jones sits there with that baffled look on his face, wondering how he ever let TO and Bum's son ruin his team and suffering a 7-9 season while watching Bill's new team WIN THE BOWL IN HIS NEW HOUSE!!!

first off, I dont think BP is worried about C Long playing LB or DE. That is why his value is so huge! He is multi-talented and athletic with instincts to boot. in teh 3-4 you are a rushing LB when playing outside. His size dictates the ability to move him around to both spots, which is why he would fit BP's defense to a T.

Stop with this "he hasnt played this position before" crap. the fact is, the dude knows how to play football. PERIOD!

now for Jake Long. Those who claim he is not a LT obviously have not taken a good look around the NFL lately. I know one thing for sure, he would be a hell of a lot better than Matt Light of the NE Cheatriots and better than D'brickashaw. Jake Long is a beast! He has the wing span and mentality to do the job. Is he at Joe Thomas' level? a notch below, which dictates that he is a good LT. End of story.

As much as I like his athleticism and work ethic, the fact remains that he has never played he position before. I just don't think that should be completely overlooked.

In regards to Jake Long. Wing span and mentality just are not enough to make it as a left tackle in this league. You have to be nimble on your feet and capable of playing with great body control. I have not consistently seen that out of Long.

I think there are at least two left tackles who are better than Jake Long. Otah and Clady.

Otah has two years experience at the college level...he ran a 5.5...in the 40...Clady is so weak he hurt himself lifting weights at the combine...to say the least BOTH are long term projects...we have had enough of long term projects.
Jake Long...is a 4 year starter...two years at RT and two years at LT...he played against top teams...and after all that only gave up two sacks..in four years.

C. Long has talent...no doubting that...but there's linebackers in this draft that also have talent and have actually played linebacker...Groves...Rivers.

I keep reading on how great it is to get players from Virginia...on how they are Parcells type of players...has anyone taken the time to look at the Cowboys roster...only one player on defense from Virginia...one...and thats Canty. Now don't you think that if Parcells thought that he was going to get the best players for his defense from Virginia...that in all the years he was there at Dallas...that he would have had more than one player from Virginia?
Wouldn't he go out of his way to get as many as he could?
You don't have to come from Virginia to be a Parcells type of player...and you don't have to be a DE in college...in a 3-4 to be a linebacker in the NFL.

I got to see michigan games and I knew Long was gonna be highly rated so I payed alot of attention to him...now from what I saw he got beat at least three times in one game..just because his man didnt record the sack doesnt mean he didnt get beat..I noticed he had trouble with the speedy edge rushers and coincidently those are the ones who he would face in the nfl...Id be happy with either Long so ill trust Parcells and Ireland

I got to see michigan games and I knew Long was gonna be highly rated so I payed alot of attention to him...now from what I saw he got beat at least three times in one game..just because his man didnt record the sack doesnt mean he didnt get beat..I noticed he had trouble with the speedy edge rushers and coincidently those are the ones who he would face in the nfl...Id be happy with either Long so ill trust Parcells and Ireland

Would you like to fly that past me again...he got beat...but didn't give up a sack...Hmmm.:ponder:

You missed Anthony Collins from Kansas and Carl Nicks from Texas, who will both be there at 2a (Nicks maybe at 2b). Collins allowed 6 sacks and 3 qb pressures and Carl Nicks allowed 1 sack and 1 pressure. By the way, Nicks had 31 reps at the combine.

If we stay at #1 overall, I'm on the Chris Long bandwagon, although I would not be upset if we took Jake given our need there. I think the dropoff from Chris to everyone else is greater than the dropoff from Jake to everyone else with the depth of the OTs in this draft. I think if JT stays, it will be probably end up being Jake; if JT leaves it will probably be Chris, both for the position and the leadership.

Well unless his stance has changed tremendously....

I know CK was NOT a fan of Jake Long at #1...AT ALL back in Nov-Dec

He stated he is better suited at RT, theres plenty of other prospects in this years draft...and you cannot pass on Glenn Dorsey or Chris Long.

He made it very clear he would be upset with Jakey at #1, I know that. After the combine maybe he changed his mind...I'm convinced the kid can play LT.

Would you like to fly that past me again...he got beat...but didn't give up a sack...Hmmm.:ponder:

Hurried throws do happen, so does a RB bailing the QB out with a block or the QB getting flushed out and sacked by someone else. Sacks given up aren't a be all end all stat.

Boomer and CK mainly post in VIP.

I don't want to speak for anyone, but I have read both CK and Boomer say multiple times that Jake Long has serious issues against speed rushers. While he only registered1 sack, he was beat many more times (and yes pete, you can be beat and not give up the sack). I think Boomer mentioned one game that should have normally yielded 2-3 sacks. Jake Long often saves himself by getting to the defender with his long arms after he's been beat with an initial move. That may not work as often in the NFL where speedy guys are faster and quicker.

As for the 8.5 sacks attributed to Otah, it's a dilemma. CK posted that he's watched alot of Otah and doesn't know where that comes from. He hasn't watched all his games so the worry is that in the games he didn't watch, Otah got torched. It's weird, maybe some sacks were attributed to him that based on the scheme should have gone to someone else because he had passed his man off to where the guard was supposed to pick him up. Or maybe he misread plays and thought he had help on the inside? Not sure.

From all accounts of every draft expert and knowledgeable football person that has watched Long, the consensus is he would be an all pro RT and a good LT. Remember that 15-20 starting LT's in the league have trouble with the elite fast pass rushers. Only about 5 LT's are excellent at just shutting down the rush completely on their side. The question is if you plan to play Long at LT would you spend #1 overall money to have say the 10th best LT in the league (i think that's even being very kind to Long)? Personally I don't think so. He would probably be a top 5 RT but we have Carey who is a top 10 RT himself.

At RT the dropoff from Jake Long to some of the other RT's is pretty big. But if we play him at LT then the dropoff from Jake Long playing LT to some of the other guys that will be drafted lower playing LT may not be very big.

I think we need to move Carey to RT. We have a center and Smiley at guard. We need to draft a Left Tackle and Jake Long doesn't provide value when projecting to play that position in the pro's.

A guy could get beat on every single play without giving up a sack as long as the quarterback rushes the throw before he gets planted. That doesn't make the player great because he didn't give up a sack. Getting beat still results in the play being rushed before it has time to develop.

Big difference between college and the professional ranks. If a guy can't dominate in college, and by dominate I mean rarely if ever getting beat, he is certainly not going to dominate in the professional ranks.

Plays that were not sacks in college will be sacks in the pro's.

Back
Top Bottom