Can Miami Contend with Mike White at QB? | Page 11 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Can Miami Contend with Mike White at QB?

There is no such thing as "Injury prone"

That line of thinking got people tossed into volcanos to appease angry gods.

Unless there is an underlying condition which causes someone to suffer injury more easily, ie. osteoporosis, everyone has the same chance of being injured given identical mechanics of the fall.

There are people that are more inclined to injure themselves due to being clumsy or careless, but that is not the case here.

Perpetuating the "Injury prone" moniker is careless fearmongering.

Toss your virigins into the volcano, proclaim the earth is flat. Science says otherwise.
IMO there are certain types of injuries that repeat more than others. But I think in many of those it's more about poor recovery from the first injury (coming back too soon) and/or poor rehab and training habits that make those injuries more likely to repeat.

Poor recovery/poor rehab is self-explanatory. I think you classic example of poor training habits in a guy like Davante Parker. He had notoriously poor nutrition and training habits and seemed to be perpetually injured. Players learning better habits alone would remove the injury prone label from many players.

Another factor is the ability to play well through injury. Tua had injuries but missed few games in college. He was held out by Flores for a "finger" injury, but it was well documented that he could play. It was clearly a retaliation by Flores for Tua telling the press he was ready to play. Even the concussions were over-blown due to media. He was held out ridiculously long compared to most. Guys like Burrow have admitted to having multiple concussions and not being held out. As a result, the "injury prone" marker gets applied more to a guy like Tua than say a guy like Lamar Jackson or Burrow. They may have had just as many injuries but circumstances were different.

Finally, I would mention play style as a factor. Repeated studies have shown that smaller players at most positions get hurt less in the NFL. That's not b/c they're tougher. It's b/c they take fewer hits and fewer full force hits. All of the injuries Tua had last year were due to play style. He could have easily avoided all of them by getting rid of the ball faster/playing smarter. Part of that will happen organically just by being in the same system another year, but Tua consciously avoiding hero ball will make a huge difference. That doesn't mean to "play scared". It means to know when to take the risk and when to wait for the next play or drive.

Many people are quick to just make the assumption that Tua will miss time based on history, but IMO that's simplistic and ignorant of the facts of that history.

As it stands…if Tua goes down again?

I don’t see Mike White getting it done….

The only hope would be a 2nd year lightbulb going on in Skylar Thompson or a Brady return!

IMO talent-wise, White and Thompson are pretty similar. But White is ahead in terms of being able to anticipate, process and get the ball out on time. That's largely a product of experience. I'm curious to see how much of a Jump we get from ST in his second year in the league/system.

I'm more comfortable with Skylar at the the moment! We will see who wins it out in training camp

Skylar did win a game to get us in the playoffs and almost beat Buffalo. So there's that.

I'm more comfortable with Skylar at the the moment! We will see who wins it out in training camp

Skylar did win a game to get us in the playoffs and almost beat Buffalo. So there's that.

Skylar did not. He was 40% and threw 2x INTs as he did TDs. He missed all over the place.

Skylar isn't great or even good as of now. But bad bad play calling and clock management by super nerd didn't help either.. but hey time will tell 🐻

Even better, with a depleted secondary, injuries to OL, no ST playmaker, and delay penalties, Sky almost beat BUF. Not defending ST - he had his share of mistakes - but, with more talent and a yr's experience, I'll be surprised if he and the team AREN'T better. Between Sky and White, I have no idea which will be #2.

IMO talent-wise, White and Thompson are pretty similar. But White is ahead in terms of being able to anticipate, process and get the ball out on time. That's largely a product of experience. I'm curious to see how much of a Jump we get from ST in his second year in the league/system.
Not every 7th rd. rookie QB can be Brock Purdy. I think there's more to like than dislike about Skylar. Fewer drops and better time clock management then the kid has a road playoff win under his belt. I'm betting on a nice progression in '23, but we're all obviously hopeful White and Thompson stay put firmly on the sideline.

Even better, with a depleted secondary, injuries to OL, no ST playmaker, and delay penalties, Sky almost beat BUF. Not defending ST - he had his share of mistakes - but, with more talent and a yr's experience, I'll be surprised if he and the team AREN'T better. Between Sky and White, I have no idea which will be #2.
I agree I have no clue

We havent had a starting qaurterback play in the playoffs since Chad Pennington 😕

Exactly, you never know?

Thompson could make a huge jump in year 2…or he may never improve?

What gives me hope on him is the glimpses we got at times…particularly the Vikings game.

He was some penalties and dropped balls away from a huge game there and pulling the upset with big plays!

I hope Tua holds up and we don’t have to find out?

There is no such thing as "Injury prone"

That line of thinking got people tossed into volcanos to appease angry gods.

Unless there is an underlying condition which causes someone to suffer injury more easily, ie. osteoporosis, everyone has the same chance of being injured given identical mechanics of the fall.

There are people that are more inclined to injure themselves due to being clumsy or careless, but that is not the case here.

Perpetuating the "Injury prone" moniker is careless fearmongering.

Toss your virigins into the volcano, proclaim the earth is flat. Science says otherwise.
I don’t believe this theory at all…

A player’s ability to reduce or avoid injury risk is varying parts (a) preparation, (b) genetics, and (c) luck.

Back
Top Bottom