Can the new look Fins Make the PLAYOFFS? | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Can the new look Fins Make the PLAYOFFS?

NJFinFury2004 said:
Go Figure a Bills fan that doesn't think we make the playoffs. I don't agree. This D overral is better than what we had last season and we finished in the top 10. Yes we lost Poole and Surtain, But I think Daniels can step in and contribute and we still could sign a corner.

The D line is MUCH IMPROVED. Just with the signing of Carter, Traylor and Holliday. Holliday will be a sweet role player for us and Carter sill had a good year last year and is 31.

This D unit is a top 10, maybe a 5. You don't know what Crowder or Roth will do. You are just guessing.

Ricky is back and a Ricky and Ronnie backfield is the best in the NFL. Ronnie Brown will have an immediate impact on the FINS just like Tomlison did for the Chargers. Most STUD RB contribute their first seasons, so you are wrong there!

Chambers, Booker and Boston are pretty good. The O line healthy now will be MUCH better and Houck is one of the best O line coaches in the game. Booker and Gordon were thrown into the mix last season, this year they have much more time here to learn the system and I EXPECT more from both.

Williams, Brown and Gordon are the best 3 RB'S in the NFL.

This offense talent wise is better than anything we have had here in MIAMI in a long TIME!! You name an offense better than this one in the last 6 or 7 years? You can't. And the D is comparable with the nice infusion of Rooks and Vets.

Your prediction is wayyyyyy offfff...
ill assume this is in responce to my post :D

your right that i dont know how Roth or Crowder will do. but neather do you. and its rare to have a rookie, (not a 1st round pick) to be a big factor for a team. it happens, but rare enough that it should not be expected.

you didnt just loose pool and surtain. you also lost both Safeties. and replaced them both will, IMO, less talented players. Madison is worse than Surtain at the #1 CB postion. and Howard is worse than Madison at the #2 spot. so the CB and Safety positions are weaker than previous years.

and RICKY WILLAIMS IS NOT BACK. he has to do a lot more than have his agent argue about a contract, before im willing to say hes back. but lets say he does come back. will he be what he was in 2002? ill say its a biased opinion to think he will return to his previous greatness. (though some point out that he was only great for 1 year). Brown is a ROOKIE, many fin fans want to ignore that fact. but he is. i personally think he will run well. but dont expect 1300 yards and 15 TD.

basically the fins have alot of positions that CAN be very good, or they CAN be less than average. the fin fans bias makes them think all there players will have the best seasons of their carrer. while a bills fan's bias (thats me) makes him (me) think all those players will suck horrably.

so ill guess in the middle, and have those players play average. and if thats the case, the fins will NOT make the playoffs.

They can, but for them to do it everything has to go perfect. I think Houck will work wonders, but it'll take a couple of years for the O-Line to be decent. Linehan's offense will be much improved, but again, I think it won't be as noticeable until next season. The defense is going to be great as always and we're going to win our share of games... right now I'll be extremely happy if we go 8-8 but if we make the playoffs I wouldn't be too surprised either.

There will be too many changes in the offensive and the defense to expect instant success.I think it depends on how fast the team gells.

IMO it wont happen until the 5th or 6th game of the season which might be too late to challenge for the playoffs unless one of our division rivals goes into a nosedive.The Bills could be that team.

I think there is one thing that everyone on here is missing in regards to the Fins making the playoffs. We would have to win our division, because the AFC is so good right now we would be hard pressed to get a wildcard. Problem with winning the division is well.........wait for it.........the champs are in our division.

I couldn't help but immediately think of Coach Mora of the Colts when he was asked about the playoffs.

"Playoffs?!?"

I think it's possible and hopefully probable. I agree with the fact that we have the same core of players that have made the players and are still good players. I'm hoping that with better coaching and a renewed attitude that we can get there.

Megatron said:
I think there is one thing that everyone on here is missing in regards to the Fins making the playoffs. We would have to win our division, because the AFC is so good right now we would be hard pressed to get a wildcard. Problem with winning the division is well.........wait for it.........the champs are in our division.

Megatron -- when did Ricky start posing for Land O' Lakes? :lol: Ricky seriously looks like the Land O' Lakes girl in your sig.

NJFinFury2004 said:
Go Figure a Bills fan that doesn't think we make the playoffs. I don't agree. This D overral is better than what we had last season and we finished in the top 10. Yes we lost Poole and Surtain, But I think Daniels can step in and contribute and we still could sign a corner.

The D line is MUCH IMPROVED. Just with the signing of Carter, Traylor and Holliday. Holliday will be a sweet role player for us and Carter sill had a good year last year and is 31.

This D unit is a top 10, maybe a 5. You don't know what Crowder or Roth will do. You are just guessing.

Ricky is back and a Ricky and Ronnie backfield is the best in the NFL. Ronnie Brown will have an immediate impact on the FINS just like Tomlison did for the Chargers. Most STUD RB contribute their first seasons, so you are wrong there!

Chambers, Booker and Boston are pretty good. The O line healthy now will be MUCH better and Houck is one of the best O line coaches in the game. Booker and Gordon were thrown into the mix last season, this year they have much more time here to learn the system and I EXPECT more from both.

Williams, Brown and Gordon are the best 3 RB'S in the NFL.

This offense talent wise is better than anything we have had here in MIAMI in a long TIME!! You name an offense better than this one in the last 6 or 7 years? You can't. And the D is comparable with the nice infusion of Rooks and Vets.

Your prediction is wayyyyyy offfff...

Top 5 Defense???The Dolphins gave up more points last year 354 than the Colts sucky defense gave up (351).

ch19079 said:
i see a big diffrence between a lossing record and the #2 overall draft pick.

What would that be??? Since San Diego went from the #1 overall to the playoffs it should be eaiser to go from the 2nd overall with the same oustanding Oline coach, and they didn't even use their #1 overall player to do it!! I'll promise you your comment was a dig at this team, but as you can see your opinion has been dispelled!!

Satchboogie said:
Top 5 Defense???The Dolphins gave up more points last year 354 than the Colts sucky defense gave up (351).

Thats because our QB's gave up 7 INT's for TD's or something like that!!! That number is misleading.

ch19079 said:
ill start with the Defense.
your D line is improved ovre last season. but you filled the gaps with old players who are, IMO, past their prime. can they do what they did in the past?? thats a good question. J. Taylor is a very good player. Roth is a ROOKIE so he will be sharing playing time. and wont be getting 8 sacks.
so improved, but not dominant.

Good analysis: Our DL is a mixed bag,,JT is still 29-30, D. Bowens is 27-28, Chester is ?, not that old..Traylor is the oldest..I think we all agree T. Bo will retire. Now we've brought in Carter, Holiday, early 30's and we still have Romero..mid 20's and Roth. What will keep them good this year is rotation..None of our older players have to carry the DL, that will add to their life expectancy. :D and keep them fresh thoughout the year barring injury.

the LBs are solid. (aging, but still the backbone of your D. and probubly a probowler in there next season)

You mean the starters are old except Spragan, but the backups are all young and good as proven last year..i.e., Moore, Pope, Corey, Ayanbadejo, add to that Crowder, and you have a talented backup group. As you said, the backbone of his D right now.

the secondary is a weakness IMO. madison is not in the same class as surtain. howard, while not to bad, is not in the same class as madison. so its weaker than previous years. the safeties are a problem also. Tillman is not good enough to start. and the SS is a good tackler but weak in pass coverage. the Bills have a SS like that. we use him alot, but hes NOT the starter. i sure dont want him in there on a passing down. :shakeno: yalls Passing D is alot weaker than last seasons.

I totally agree here, with the exception, and I'm hoping here, that Y. Bell stays heathy and starts at FS..if he does and T. Jones plays SS, then I'll feel better about our secondary. The injury to Poole really placed stress on this D secondary. I'd prefer Tillman as depth. But that's me, I don't see what's going on on the field right now, so this is quess on all our parts.

now the Offense:
the O-Line is improved, not that it was dificult to improve on last years performance, but still improved. there are still a few problems at C and OT, but its not THAT bad. so thats improved.

Agree

RB, imiproved on the basis that Brown is expected to run well. but again, players dont usually have probowl seasons their rookie year. and i wont even mention Ricky as part of your O, till he takes a snap in a game. will he even make it through camp??

with the additions of Brown, L. Gordon--because we really didn't have him last year, and Kay Jay..we should have a pretty talented group, and if Ricky comes back, that's gravy on a good group already.

TE is set, but you dont want to see the backup AT ALL. still very good.

D. Lee is better than you think, he should show a lot of improvement this year, but Mcmicheals gets all the reps, so he progressing at a slower pace.

WR is just a huge question mark. Chambers is the #1, and will play very well like he always does. Booker is getting older, but can still cetch. and we all have no way of knowing what boston will do after injury and lack of steroids. but ill say you got a good recieving core, but that brings me to the QB.

The only real question mark is will Boston stay healthy..the rest of the corps is from last year, and prove given an opportunity they can play..from Chambers to Booker to Thompson. Newson is good, but got hurt early. Welsh is special teams and Gilmore has great speed.

the QB is a weakness. even with a 3 WR and 1 TE set, he wont be as productive as many want him to be. he might be better than last season, but not by much. he will get alot of blame for the losses.

Disagree, AJ and Gus are dependable if not servicable...AJ played behind one the worst OL's imaginable last year and I don't think had the confidence to go back and play..he dropped and prayed. His errant throws are testimonies to the lack of time, trying to make a play that backfires, but as the OL improved, so did AJ's play, his last 2 starts, no int's.

overall:
Rushing D: improved but we wont know by how much till they play.
Passing D: MUCH weaker. i bet you see alot more blitzing from Seau and Spargan.
Passing O: slightly improved
Rushing O: improved

this is not the best Dolphin D we have seen the past few years, and its also not the best Dolphins team that weve seen teh past few years.

i dont think the fins will make the playoffs and will be at the bottom of the AFC east again this season. and finish 7-9

Rushing D: Very improved
Passing D: Mixed..better rushers overall, questions in secondary.
Pasing O: No one knows right now. New system, new calls, comfort level wil be slow to come..the OL is the main source of questions, not the receivers or the arms of the QB's.

The D is not the best Dophins D in the last couple of years, but I think the O is much better, and that's hoping the OL improves, they're younger, stronger and faster, thanks to speilman. Hopefully and somewhat unfortunately we may be a better team because we gave up a little D to get some O. Maybe this balancing act actually helps us be a better team with less talent on D.

feelthepain said:
What would that be??? Since San Diego went from the #1 overall to the playoffs it should be eaiser to go from the 2nd overall with the same oustanding Oline coach, and they didn't even use their #1 overall player to do it!! I'll promise you your comment was a dig at this team, but as you can see your opinion has been dispelled!!
yes the chargers did it, but that was a VERY RARE thing. and is so rare that is should not be "expected".

there is a good chance that a 7-9 team can make the playoffs the following year.
but a MUCH lower chance that a 4-12 team can make the playoffs the following year.

so simply stating the persentage of lossing teams making the playoffs is a little misleading in putting the Fins up at that percentage.

I think the run defense should be improved over last however I do not know if it is going to be dominate. The area that should be greatly improved is the pass rush. That should help the secondary. The secondary is interesting due to the fact that it is not one on one talent anymore. Dispite lack of interceptions Madison had a very good year last year, did a better job at shutting down his side than Surtain. Even Patrick will admit that Madison had a better year. With Howard, I always believed he was more of a scheme cornerback. I think this year will prove me right about that unless he gets cut for making too much money :). With safties, Bell is going to dominate. Barring injuries of course.

Run defense is improved due to the fact that it was horrible last year. I think this year it will be middle of the road.

Pass defense I think will be improved. Mostly due to the defensive line. Saban brought in some people that can bring in some pressure on the quarterback. If you get pressure you don't need a top notch secondary. It does help. It will be interesting to see how fast they pick up the defense.

Offense is the hardest to judge. Every player on Miami's offense looked far worse then they actually were. So were some of them horrible players or were some of them crappy players who looked horrible or were they good in a bad situation. On offense you need 11 people doing their job to be constantly successful. Last year Miami had 11 people who did not know what in the heck they are supposed to do. So was the line crappy or was the line just really confused. Questions like that will have to be answered. Last year was an offense the second game had three returning starters in the first game and one of those was Wade Smith.

I believe just having one voice and one direction and actually making sure they know what they are supposed to do will improve the offense.

I know this is going to sound wishy washy, but a 7-9 to 9-7 season is what Miami will probably see next year. However that could easily turn into a 4-12 or a 12-4 season. That is the beauty of the NFL today.

Can the new look Phins make the PLAYOFFS? Yes, we are capable.
Will we? I'll get back to you in December. :goof:

MDFINFAN said:
You mean the starters are old except Spragan, but the backups are all young and good as proven last year..i.e., Moore, Pope, Corey, Ayanbadejo, add to that Crowder, and you have a talented backup group. As you said, the backbone of his D right now.
i mean the 2 major players on your team are 2 very good LBs who are both aging. (implying they might be on decline.)
i dont think it really matters who your backups are at LB, because if Thomas goes down, your D will suffer greatly.

but i like when people reply to my entire post. :D

but it was strange to have yopu agreeing with most of what i said... :eek:

ch19079 said:
i mean the 2 major players on your team are 2 very good LBs who are both aging. (implying they might be on decline.)
i dont think it really matters who your backups are at LB, because if Thomas goes down, your D will suffer greatly.

but i like when people reply to my entire post. :D

but it was strange to have yopu agreeing with most of what i said... :eek:

And I said as proven by last year's play, both Jr. and Thomas went out last year and the backups did outstanding..it was the first time that Zach left a game or didn't play where the LB's held their own..i.e Pope replaced Zach and was awesome..Moore replaced Jr. They really could start.

Why was it strange for me to agree to a lot of your post?....if it makes sense, it make sense.
:D

Back
Top Bottom