Can the new look Fins Make the PLAYOFFS? | Page 6 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Can the new look Fins Make the PLAYOFFS?

NJFinFury2004 said:
Bill have a ROOKIE QB with a shaky O line, and aging VET WR and a RB who is talneted, but injury prone. Their D is pretty good, but not any better than ours.
there is a big diffrence between a rookie QB and a 1st year starter QB.

feelthepain said:
What about coaching shouldn't that be good for a couple maybe three wins?? I'd say 9-7 is a real possibility!!
good point, i forgot to mention coaching.

you might think your new head coach will be great, and he might be, but he might also need a few years in the NFL before becoming great.

its only natural to think the guy who was fired sucked, and the guy who replaced him is great, but we dont know that yet.

the players also have a new offense and defensive scheme to learn.

Saban4prez said:
bostons getting paid the league minimum. And how can you forget Zach thomas, Hes still one of the top three MLB's in the game. Huock was the o line coach of the cowboys in the 90's. and he did a great job with the chargers o line last season. You SHOULD have heard of him, but you are a bills fan after all.
McNally, i believe, is the most respected O-Line coach in the NFL. now, I am not saying your guy isnt very good, just that McNally is better. :D

I think this team will go 8-8 or 9-7 but Saban may surprise us and we may make the playoffs.

ch19079 said:
McNally, i believe, is the most respected O-Line coach in the NFL. now, I am not saying your guy isnt very good, just that McNally is better. :D

U guys are soooo like jealous oohhh my god. HH is way better than Mcnally IMO and i think we will crush UR BArffalo BIllies come season

carter had 6 sacks, 49 tackles, and 1 forced fumble and he was released by his team. Aaron Schobel had 8 sacks, 73 tackles, and 5 forced fumbles and was a Pro Bowl alternate i wonder who is better. oh and the dolfins will have a better record than the bills, just like last year right. losers.

dominizzo said:
U guys are soooo like jealous oohhh my god. HH is way better than Mcnally IMO and i think we will crush UR BArffalo BIllies come season

Actually McNally is considered one of the best, if not the best offensive line coach in the league. Anyone who watched the Bills seen the improvement of the offensive line. He actually made Mike Williams look like a viable starter. If Houck can do for Miami what McNally is going to do for Buffalo i'll be very happy. While I do believe the Bills have made some terrible moves in the last few seasons, and that Tom Donahoe has been a bust as a gm, but hiring Jim McNally who I do believe is the best offensive line coach in the NFL was his best move by far IMO.

ch19079 said:
ill start with the Defense.
your D line is improved ovre last season. but you filled the gaps with old players who are, IMO, past their prime. can they do what they did in the past?? thats a good question. J. Taylor is a very good player. Roth is a ROOKIE so he will be sharing playing time. and wont be getting 8 sacks.
so improved, but not dominant.

the LBs are solid. (aging, but still the backbone of your D. and probubly a probowler in there next season)

the secondary is a weakness IMO. madison is not in the same class as surtain. howard, while not to bad, is not in the same class as madison. so its weaker than previous years. the safeties are a problem also. Tillman is not good enough to start. and the SS is a good tackler but weak in pass coverage. the Bills have a SS like that. we use him alot, but hes NOT the starter. i sure dont want him in there on a passing down. :shakeno: yalls Passing D is alot weaker than last seasons.

now the Offense:
the O-Line is improved, not that it was dificult to improve on last years performance, but still improved. there are still a few problems at C and OT, but its not THAT bad. so thats improved.

RB, imiproved on the basis that Brown is expected to run well. but again, players dont usually have probowl seasons their rookie year. and i wont even mention Ricky as part of your O, till he takes a snap in a game. will he even make it through camp??

TE is set, but you dont want to see the backup AT ALL. still very good.

WR is just a huge question mark. Chambers is the #1, and will play very well like he always does. Booker is getting older, but can still cetch. and we all have no way of knowing what boston will do after injury and lack of steroids. but ill say you got a good recieving core, but that brings me to the QB.

the QB is a weakness. even with a 3 WR and 1 TE set, he wont be as productive as many want him to be. he might be better than last season, but not by much. he will get alot of blame for the losses.

overall:
Rushing D: improved but we wont know by how much till they play.
Passing D: MUCH weaker. i bet you see alot more blitzing from Seau and Spargan.
Passing O: slightly improved
Rushing O: improved

this is not the best Dolphin D we have seen the past few years, and its also not the best Dolphins team that weve seen teh past few years.

i dont think the fins will make the playoffs and will be at the bottom of the AFC east again this season. and finish 7-9

i think you made a lot of good unbiased points. but one factor that you seemed to forget about was improved coaching. coaching is one of the most underated and important factors in football. Our coaching will be greatly improved.

with that said, 8-8 sounds about right. The question marks on this team will either make or break us IMO.

billsrule7 said:
carter had 6 sacks, 49 tackles, and 1 forced fumble and he was released by his team. Aaron Schobel had 8 sacks, 73 tackles, and 5 forced fumbles and was a Pro Bowl alternate i wonder who is better. oh and the dolfins will have a better record than the bills, just like last year right. losers.
yeah but Carters actually been to the pro bowl before. He also switched his position and still practically got the same numbers as your guy. Thats pretty impressive on his part, or sad on schobels. im not sure yet. Carter got released because the titans re-wrote the book this season on the phrase 'cap-hell.' If you think he was released because of poor performance, you really are as stupid as the buffalo stereotype is made up to be.

Any given year, any team can turn around and make the playoffs in the NFL. With our vast improvement it's a lock.

NJFinFury2004 said:
What I want you all to do is really think about this. Someone had mentioned we had many holes to fill, I don't agree. This team still has a core of players on it that are used to winning and making the playoffs.

Ok we didn't make the playoffs in 2002 or 2003, yes I know that. But we had a monumnetal collapse in 2002, losing to the Vikes and then letting the Pats come back and beat us in the last 4 mins? of the game. 2003 we were a 10-6 team that didn't qualify for the playoffs.

Zach Thomas, Jason Taylor, Sam Madison still anchor a defense that can finish top 10, this we are all pretty sure about, correct? We have some nice new additions on D and its realistic to think we can even do a top 5 finish. With Saban behind the D we should be as competitive as we ever were, even with the losses of Surtain and Bowens.

Would we all agree that our offense looks to be in the best shape its been in as many 6 years? We look like we have a plan and lets not underestimate the skill level we have. Hopefully this O line can perform better and Feeley can be the next Brees.

Lets be honest fellow finatics, we have good talent on this offense. Chambers hasn't quite lived up to his expectations, but Wanny wasn't exactly an offensive genius.

Chambers, Booker and David Boston Healthy is a GREAT 3RD OPTION. Randy Mac is a top 10 TE and if we wind up with a Williams and Brown backfield, toss in a Lamar Gordon/ Sammy Morris who knows about KJ Harris, we have some sweet TALENT!

Basically we need good production from Feeley, who I happen to like. Why can't we make a playoff run? Look around the league at the rest of the teams, we have just as good if not more talent. Why can't we win this divsion?

There is no reason why we can't make the playoffs this season. I think under Lienehan Feeley will eventually win the Job and Flourish. I also think Houck will help improve our O line enough that it could wind up in the top 15, which will be good enough with all of our other pieces.

IM really looking forward to this season and I see no reason why we can't make a push for the playoffs.

Thoughts? Comments?

Maybe I'm being catious, but 2 things stand out to me. It usually takes a season or 2 before players get really comfortable with a new system and the coach gets his roster the way he wants it....which brings me to the other thing. We still have serious needs on the O-line, the place that I believe your offense begins; gotta control the line at least fairly well.

On the plus side, we are on our way with a great O-line coach (but again, can he get these guys good enough fast enough? Can Saban make his changes on D and expect the team to be reacting (instead of thinking and learning a new system) this year? Maybe, but not right away. Maybe we will make the playoffs and I'm not one of these people who think we will see another 4-5 win season. I think we can really win 8, with steady improvement all year. I hope we make the playoffs, we do have a lot of good players and were not a typical 4-12 team that got blown away by anyone. So we are closer than a perrenial losing team would be. And hey, remember last year all the talk about players getting mean and mad about not making the playoffs in 2003? Well we had no quit in our team, so maybe it did work and last season can only make the guys extra nasty (plus Roth will help in that dept.) So we have a lot going for us!

Put it this way, I'm hoping you are right, but we may still be a season away. But the nicest thing is that Saban will build a team (unlike his 2 predecessors) that will be able to go deep into the playoffs when it gets there. Not just limp in and get blown away first or second round.

djfresh47 said:
Actually McNally is considered one of the best, if not the best offensive line coach in the league. Anyone who watched the Bills seen the improvement of the offensive line. He actually made Mike Williams look like a viable starter. If Houck can do for Miami what McNally is going to do for Buffalo i'll be very happy. While I do believe the Bills have made some terrible moves in the last few seasons, and that Tom Donahoe has been a bust as a gm, but hiring Jim McNally who I do believe is the best offensive line coach in the NFL was his best move by far IMO.

:grouplaug

Anthony3454 said:
Any given year, any team can turn around and make the playoffs in the NFL. With our vast improvement it's a lock.
This line of thinking is bogus because the miraculous turn-arounds you've seen are a blip on a bottom-feeding team coming around after a ton of high draft picks.

Back
Top Bottom