• Nope, he will be taken already

Votes: 162 83.9%
  • YES and I would draft him at #18

Votes: 27 14.0%
  • YES and I would NOT draft him at #18

Votes: 4 2.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I will not be surprised if he drops. In fact, if the phins miss out Pitts, I'm all for trading down to get extra picks and select Rashod Bateman.

I am starting to think Smiths weight will make him slide out of the top 10.

I think Phi at #12 is his likley landing spot but there is a chance he slips to us at #18..... what do you guys think? And would you draft him at #18?
Smith will be selected at 6 by the Dolphins if Pitts and Chase are selected at 4 and 5. There is absolutely no way he slides down to 18. If somehow the Dolphins are able to draft Pitts at 6, which I doubt. I would take Pitts and then trade the 18th pick and the 36 pick to try and move up high enough to draft Smith or Waddle.

Give Tua, Pitts, Smith or Waddle, Parker, Fuller Gesicki, Wilson, Bowden, and Williams as his receivers and add Javonte Williams as the RB and suddenly you have one of the most potent offenses in the NFL.

Really? I don't think I've seen one analyst predicting Smith in the top 5.
Some were predicting him as the 3rd pick in the draft before Miami traded out of that position. He will probably slip to 6 now because the first 3 picks will be QB’s and I think the Falcons will draft Pitts and the Bengals will draft Chase at 5. The Dolphins will then likely draft Smith and it will end up being Sewell who drops down in the draft because he was thought to be a top 5 pick a few months ago.

Not sure why this has become a hot take, given that Smith was the leading receiver on a team featuring two other first round WRs and just became one of the only WRs in history to win the Heisman, but Smith is going to be better than Pitts or Chase.

Too many of y’all are getting too caught up in the underwear Olympics. Devante Parker ran a 4.45. Albert Wilson ran a 4.43. There’s a lot more to WR play speed than 40-time.

The best CBs and defenses in college football couldn’t even stay near Smith. Y’all act like nobody had the bright idea to press him or stick a 4.35 guy on him at the college level. Go watch what he did to Jaycee Horn and Shaun Wade and Derek Stingley and (even though he’s not very good) Marco Wilson, who just ran a 4.37 at the UF Pro Day. These weren’t schemed up receiving yards. He smoked these guys in man coverage short, middle, and long.

Smith is unguardable at 170. If he puts on 15 pounds of muscle, he’ll be unguardable at 185. It really doesn’t matter how much you weigh when nobody is near you.

I keep reminding folks that Ceedee Lamb went 17 last year and he had a lot less questions about his ability to play in the NFL than Smith. Seeing 4 pass catchers go in the top 17 when there is already almost certainly 5 QBs going would be pretty rare and unique, if one of the pass carchers drops it'll probably be either Waddle or Smith, Waddle's speed like Ruggs last year may make him more appealing. I've always wanted 2 of these pass catchers for the fins, I would gladly accept any combination of them, my ideal would be Pitts and Smith.

Last edited:
Smith at #6 is not in the cards IMO.

Pitts, Chase and Sewell have to be higher rated on our board based on physical measurables alone.

It is the underwear Olympics and right now Smith is falling. Bateman ran faster than expected and Tooney looked very good at the Fla pro day.

Smith is not just skinny, hes one of the slightest framed WRs thats ever been projected as a 1st round pick. This will scare GMs. Maybe not all of them but some of them. Will he be able to get off the line in press? can he block at all? Is he more prone to injury bc of his slim frame?

All of these questions may be irrelevant to some of you, but GMs 100% think about these things.

I doubt he falls to #18 but its not totally crazy

Brett Favre made a case on the radio a couple of months ago that he should be the #1 pick in the entire draft. Take it with a grain of salt, I know I did. However, there's a long way between #1 and #18. If a HOF QB feels this way about a receiver there's a good chance there are many QB's that don't want to see him slide past their pick.

I'd be absolutely shocked if he slid past the Giants at #11.

I can't see it happening. At some point before the draft he'll have a weigh in, either privately or publicly. Some team will be convinced and draft him before #18. The only question for the kid is his weight. He has elite skills, and if he can handle the physical nature of the NFL, remain durable, beat press coverage and generally hold up physically ... Smith will become a star. Opinions will differ on him, but no way he lasts to #18, because a GM who is sold on him swoops in and picks him before #18.
I think he already weighed in at 170 at Alabama’s pro day.

I think he already weighed in at 170 at Alabama’s pro day.
Didn't know that, but that's about where I had predicted he actually was ... so he probably gave an honest weight. I had expected him to artificially put on 5 lbs. of water just before the weigh in.

IMHO, he needs to be up to at least 185 lbs. to have a decent shot at succeeding in the NFL. I would have liked to see him reach that weight and show his speed, agility and fluidity with the new muscle mass.

I don't see Devonta leaving the top 10 picks. If he does make it to 18 then a gas mask video of him was released. I also have a feeling Miami may trade the 18th and move back to accumulate additional assets.

Didn't know that, but that's about where I had predicted he actually was ... so he probably gave an honest weight. I had expected him to artificially put on 5 lbs. of water just before the weigh in.

IMHO, he needs to be up to at least 185 lbs. to have a decent shot at succeeding in the NFL. I would have liked to see him reach that weight and show his speed, agility and fluidity with the new muscle mass.
I think if the plan is to play a ton of press coverage and try to jam Smith near the line of scrimmage for every two or three plays that works out for the defense there will be 5 or 6 plays where he beats that coverage and the end result is a big play... especially if he's coming out of the slot or in motion.

Back
Top Bottom