• Nope, he will be taken already

Votes: 162 83.9%
  • YES and I would draft him at #18

Votes: 27 14.0%
  • YES and I would NOT draft him at #18

Votes: 4 2.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I know I’m in the extreme minority, but I wouldt take Smith at #6 even with Chase and Pitts available.
I honestly like all three, but I would not let Smith's weight be a factor in my choice. I would say that if Smith fails at the NFL level it will be due to some issue unrelated to his thin frame.

Last edited:
I doubt he falls to #18..but stranger happenings have occurred..we need him to have his Tunsil "gas mask" type moment..maybe he weights in officially at 155lbs..would that do it?! :shrug: :shrug: :shrug:

If he dropped to like 11-12, I’d consider trading up to get him. Pitts/Smith would be a hell of a haul
I just think it would be a mistake to trade up for a receiver seeing how many decent ones are in the 2021 draft class and there could be just as many next year. For example I don't think I would say I would rather trade up for Smith instead of drafting Toney and Bateman this year or Toney this year and Olave next year. Two good receivers seem like a better deal then one great one.

I will be blown away if Smith falls to 18. We're gong to be lucky if he's there at 6.
Lol. For real. Its a pipe dream to think he drops to 18. He very well might be the first non qb taken. Either way all these dudes are studs and i will be happy with any of them

Overplayed is an understatement.

It shouldn’t be played at all. There’s not a single ounce of justification for it. Not from his play on the field for 4 seasons, his durability during all that time in the SEC, and the fact that there’s no precedent for slim players not cutting it because they are slim.

Bunch of made up nonsense is all it is.

Smith’s NFL future will rely strictly on his skill set and fit with whatever team and QB he ends up with. And his learning and development, of course.
Completely disagree. I’m rooting for him but there simply hasn’t been a lot of successful Marvin Harrison types over the last 20 years. Taking Smith would be a huge risk.

I think if the plan is to play a ton of press coverage and try to jam Smith near the line of scrimmage for every two or three plays that works out for the defense there will be 5 or 6 plays where he beats that coverage and the end result is a big play... especially if he's coming out of the slot or in motion.
I'm sure that'll be the plan, and he'll be hit and miss. He'll have games where he gets dominated and few targets in the 2nd half because he can't win. If he goes to a team that is willing to scheme him open a lot, he'll still do well. Press coverage in the NFL is a huge step up from press coverage in college.

Remember, Slim Reaper said his toughest matchup was Noah Igbinoghene, who was THE WORST rated CB in the NFL as a rookie. Iggy may well become a good NFL CB ... but to succeed as a press man CB in the NFL requires being far stronger and far better as a technician, and all the press corners entering the NFL take a year or two to adapt. The simple reality is that NFL press coverage manhandles far stronger WR's. College kids get abused by those stronger WR's. But someone like Smith ... he's in for a rude awakening when those NFL CB's get their hands on him, and that's when the reality will hit home for him that he _needs_ to gain muscle mass.

I think Smith will become a good WR ... but he's got to gain that muscle and adapt his game, and the sooner he does it the better it will be for his career.

Completely disagree. I’m rooting for him but there simply hasn’t been a lot of successful Marvin Harrison types over the last 20 years. Taking Smith would be a huge risk.

This is a shortsighted response.
Only one Marvin Harrison, yes. But a ton of slim and/or small receivers that have been highly successful. Far too many to list.

Again, please provide a list of receivers that were half as productive in college as Smith or even guys like Desean Jackson and Ty Hilton, just to name a couple, that didn’t cut it because they were slim or small?

You can’t, which is why this continues to be not only an obstinate take but also a really, really bad one.

The fact that people continue trying to pick up this ball where others fumbled it really goes to show the typical football IQ around here, unfortunately.

This is a shortsighted response.
Only one Marvin Harrison, yes. But a ton of slim and/or small receivers that have been highly successful. Far too many to list.

Again, please provide a list of receivers that were half as productive in college as Smith or even guys like Desean Jackson and Ty Hilton, just to name a couple, that didn’t cut it because they were slim or small?

You can’t, which is why this continues to be not only an obstinate take but also a really, really bad one.

The fact that people continue trying to pick up this ball where others fumbled it really goes to show the typical football IQ around here, unfortunately.
Thanks for questioning my football IQ, completely unnecessary. Please name the plethora of 170 pound WRs the NFL has seen worthy of a first round pick other than Marvin Harrison. Personally, I’d prefer to find my Desean Jackson (second round) or TY Hilton( 3rd round) in the second round or later.

Last edited:
Thanks for questioning my football IQ, completely unnecessary. Please name the plethora of 170 pound WRs the NFL has seen worthy of a first round pick other than Marvin Harrison. Personally, I’d prefer to find my Desean Jackson or TY Hilton in the second round or later.
I haven't really gotten into the debate on whether Smith is too light or not because I don't know how we can honestly know if any draft picks will work out or not. I realize people are playing the odds. However, sometimes statistics can be misleading. One thing I do wonder about, though, is how many of the undersized WR who have come into the league and not panned out have Smith's body of work? I mean, his season last year was phenomenal. The dude shredded it! Considering his stellar production. I would take him at #18 if he were there. I would be slightly disappointed if we passed on Pitts (this dude is special) to take him at #6, but I would definitely take him at #18.

Last edited:
I haven't really gotten into the debate on whether Smith is too light or not because I don't know how we can honestly know if any draft picks will work out or not. I realize people are playing the odds. However, sometimes statistics can be misleading. One thing I do wonder about, though, is how many of the undersized WR who have come into the league and not panned out have Smith's body of work? I mean, his season last year was phenomenal. The dude shredded it! Considering his stellar production. I would take him at #18 if he were there. I would be disappointed if we passed on Pitts to take him at #6, but I would definitely take him at #18.
I’m not saying he won’t pan out, I’m just saying his size (or lack thereof) makes him a huge risk of a first round pick.

I’m not saying he won’t pan out, I’m just saying his size (or lack thereof) makes him a huge risk of a first round pick.
I definitely understand. It's a big deal. We have a unique opportunity, so hopefully, we won't blow it.

Back
Top Bottom