Cheer up lads. Here is the good news. | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Cheer up lads. Here is the good news.

We had a good year but we aren’t nearly good enough, particularly at playmaking positions, including

— an electric receiver
— a slot receiver
— a running back with power who can break tackles and take a workload
— a pass rushing edge rusher who the offense must account for
— a 3 down inside linebacker with agility and speed
— a ball hawking free safety.

What do those six needs have in common? PLAYMAKING. That’s not to say I wouldn’t take another OL or run stiffing DT. But what will move the needle is guys who exert themselves physically.
Il give this a shot:
Trade back and get Smith, Waddle, or Chase
FA Curtis Samuel for the slot.
RB with Power: Harris in a trade back into late RD one or J Williams in the 2nd.
Draft Zavon Collins at 18. Can be the jack of all trades LB.
FA S Simmons from Denver. One of the best in the game. Secondary becomes best in the NFL. Also, B. Jones can continue to develop.

I don't have an Edge listed. Hopefully, 2nd and 3rd round can yield and EDGE and IOL. Ideally, we can get Detroit or Carolina to fork over a future 1st to trade up. We can then have fun again next year watching them lose. If there's no trade, we have to take Sewell. Can't pass up that talent.

You frame the question and force people to agree on Sewell.
No, i am not playing that game.

There is always trade down opportunity, just the matter of our asking price. Trade down five spots and take Chase or Smith.
Wasn't my intention, just asking if you had to pick at 3 who would it be. I am all for a reciever, and i would take Chase even at 3. We are that bad at reciever.

Man, everyone loves Sewell. Were you people not around for the Jake Long era? I mean the Texans are were a 4 win team with Tunsil on it. We kinda know how this will play out.

Trade down (which will likely be an option with this year's QB class) or get a top WR. A pass rushing DE wouldn't be a bad idea either.

I would feel better if the Bills game wasn't such a **** show and If Tua gave us so sort of confidence in him going forward, but he doesn't even seem confident in himself. Without a legit QB, we will not make a deep playoff run. Keeping a great defense together is very tough to do, ask the 49ers.

Thanks for your positive spin.
No to Sewell at 3. And here is why.
Miami absolutely MUST, if possible, trade down from 3 and add a first next year(2022). Not too far, but enough to get a first in 2022. Miami still wants to pick top 8 or 9.
If Lawrence and Wilson/Fields go 1 and 2, you assume pick three goes to a team trading for Wilson/Fields who didn't go at two.
Then, you have left: Pitts, D Smith, J Waddle, J Chase, Still Sewell, and Parsons. That gets you one of the top guys, and you can get one of them at 9.
(I think Pitts has HOF potential. I wouldn't disregard taking him. WR's can be had all through the draft)
You do that trade down, add that 1 for 2022. That allows you to keep building with studs through the draft, cheap help, but it also gives you ammo/protects you in the 2022 draft in case you need to replace Tua. By then, the team will be more built up, you can trade both 1's and your 2 to move around for a QB.
If Tua shows great improvement in 2021, then worst case, you have two #1 picks in 2022. And more than likely, trading down with one of those teams picking 4-9, that pick could be very high in 2022.
Whatever Miami does, they shouldn't pick at 3.
Just my humble opinion.
Not so easy to move up for a QB....they have a 3 and should consider evaluate if a QB there makes sense.

Man, everyone loves Sewell. Were you people not around for the Jake Long era? I mean the Texans are were a 4 win team with Tunsil on it. We kinda know how this will play out.

Trade down (which will likely be an option with this year's QB class) or get a top WR. A pass rushing DE wouldn't be a bad idea either.
You can't compare the two.

That was a terribly weak draft in 2008 and especially in how the prospects were rated. When we took Jake Long his weaknesses were obvious. Everyone knew he was a running tackle and we took him anyway...Parcells wanted another quick turn-around in his legacy. Despite his weakness, Long turned out to be a pro bowl LT.

He turned out to be injury prone and his career ended very quickly...that could happen to any player at any position. If he had not been injury prone then I think he would have been viewed as another Richmond Webb...I think he'd have had a long and very successful career with us. He'd surely be the 2nd best player from that draft. Only Matt Ryan had an exceptional career out of the lot.

Sewell is on another level though. If Trevor Lawrence wasn't in this draft I think he would be in talks of going #1...he's that good.

And consider this...not only is the kid THAT good...but he will be playing against INFERIOR competition on the right side...think about just how much he would dominate.

Last edited:
Sign Schuster or Maybe Robinson. Take Sewell at #3. Maybe Chase or Waddle will be there at #18....or Pitts. And Maybe Harris or Etienne will be there Round 2. Just Wishing Right Now...But Fun Nevertheless.

Sign Schuster or Maybe Robinson. Take Sewell at #3. Maybe Chase or Waddle will be there at #18....or Pitts. And Maybe Harris or Etienne will be there Round 2. Just Wishing Right Now...But Fun Nevertheless.
Two receivers that nobody’s talking about are Bateman from Minnesota and Moore from Purdue.

Bateman may be on par with Chase except he had Tanner Morgan at QB instead of Burrrow and at this stage looks like he can be had with 1A.

Moore is nearly identical to Waddle, maybe not as quick but better hands. He is coming in around 2A-2B range but I fear he may blow up at the combine.

As far as Sewell goes I fully agree with Hawaiifin31 if not for Lawrence, Sewell would be all the buzz for #1.

Definite Sewell or a trade down if we can find a sucker to over-pay. He's the best O Line prospect in a decade...

Trade down from 3rd pick to 6th or 7th pick.
Receive 2nd and 4th in 2021 and hopefully 1st or 2nd in 2022
Pick the best WR available: Chase or Smith
18th Pick - RB Harris from AL
With three picks in 2nd round focus LB, OL,DE/OLB, S - Lots of great options.
LB: Mosses - AL and Ojulari - GA
OL: There are three very good ones from AL
I trust the Phins front office to get the right ones.
FA is the wild card - If Front Office can be anywhere as successful with FA as they were in 2020, we will another infusion of talent and experience. I hope they don't overpay for any FA.
As far as Tua is concerned we do have to take into consideration that he had very little offseason and no preseason and three rookies OL and basically
Free Agents at WR and RB. I still believe in our coaching staff to surround him with the right personnel.

Watching Jonathan Taylor today made me sick. WTF are they thinking that you don't need a running game and they are going to be cute and pick that Igby guy from Auburn.
I said same thing on draft night. what were they thinking? they got their choice of qb (burrows was known to be #1) and choice of RB. If we took Taylor, the colts may not have won on Sunday.

Thanks for your positive spin.
No to Sewell at 3. And here is why.
Miami absolutely MUST, if possible, trade down from 3 and add a first next year(2022). Not too far, but enough to get a first in 2022. Miami still wants to pick top 8 or 9.
If Lawrence and Wilson/Fields go 1 and 2, you assume pick three goes to a team trading for Wilson/Fields who didn't go at two.
Then, you have left: Pitts, D Smith, J Waddle, J Chase, Still Sewell, and Parsons. That gets you one of the top guys, and you can get one of them at 9.
(I think Pitts has HOF potential. I wouldn't disregard taking him. WR's can be had all through the draft)
You do that trade down, add that 1 for 2022. That allows you to keep building with studs through the draft, cheap help, but it also gives you ammo/protects you in the 2022 draft in case you need to replace Tua. By then, the team will be more built up, you can trade both 1's and your 2 to move around for a QB.
If Tua shows great improvement in 2021, then worst case, you have two #1 picks in 2022. And more than likely, trading down with one of those teams picking 4-9, that pick could be very high in 2022.
Whatever Miami does, they shouldn't pick at 3.
Just my humble opinion.

I agree.

It's nice to read a clear and well thought out post, especially now.

Thank You.

I want Jamar Chase at #5 after trading with Cincinnati.

I use pick acquired from Cincinnati packaged with 18 to get Kyle Pitts

I use my two 2nds to move up for Etienne or Najaee

There you get WR1, TE1, RB1

It's easy to maximize spending, but eventually you go broke.

Cashing in a high draft pick for future high draft picks means you always have NFL "money in the bank" and the ability to continually improve the team instead of trying to do it in giant steps!

Grier owes it to the organization to maximize the pick.

Sitting at #3 is a very valuable spot. With three quarterbacks expected to go high, there will be offers for this pick.

Judging by what teams have given up to move even a few spots to secure a quarterback, the Dolphins could get two #1's and two #2's. Perhaps more.

As much as I love some of the elite talent, is a Sewell worth that kind of return?

Now, if the offer isn't good enough then I think you look at Sewell, Smith etc.

Grier owes it to the organization to maximize the pick.

Sitting at #3 is a very valuable spot. With three quarterbacks expected to go high, there will be offers for this pick.

Judging by what teams have given up to move even a few spots to secure a quarterback, the Dolphins could get two #1's and two #2's. Perhaps more.

As much as I love some of the elite talent, is a Sewell worth that kind of return?

Now, if the offer isn't good enough then I think you look at Sewell, Smith etc.
Bingo. That #3 pick, with a draft with QBs, is GOLD.
You use it, if you don't NEED a QB, to bolster for the future, in case in the future you DO need a QB. I think we build foundation, add skill players this year, then if we can add more picks next year, we make a decision on Tua and THEN toss draft picks around in 2022 to secure a QB if Tua doesn't show growth.
It's just too valuable to use to make a pick with, THIS YEAR. Who knows what could be gotten, but I think part of that deal has to be a Number 1 next year. That allows us the flexibility next year, with two number ones, to sell them to move up if need be, for a QB. Howell from UNC should be in next year's draft, not sure who else. The QB from Cincinnati?
Anyway, you keep adding future picks, you keep your team well fed with cheap talent. And a trade down 3-6 spots still nets us a needed piece- Sewell, Parsons, Waddle, Smith, Pitts, Chase- IF QB's go 1 and 2...which we should know BEFORE we make the trade.

Back
Top Bottom