Cheer up lads. Here is the good news. | Page 5 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Cheer up lads. Here is the good news.

Sign Schuster or Maybe Robinson. Take Sewell at #3. Maybe Chase or Waddle will be there at #18....or Pitts. And Maybe Harris or Etienne will be there Round 2. Just Wishing Right Now...But Fun Nevertheless.
I don't think we spend big on a WR. We could, but we don't have as much cap space as it seems. I think the fins make modest free agency signings, depth upgrades, and use the draft to go after studs. Also- beware of signing free agents, and look for other teams' cuts. They don't cost you a comp pick if you sign a player who's been cut vs a true free agent.
There is a great thread on here somewhere, with how multiple teams will be WAAAY over the cap. They will be slashing. Go after those guys.

Completely agreed with the above. It's simple.

#3 this year could very easily turn into a 2022 Premium First Rounder AND an elite player. You have to take that. Im sorry, but you do. The odds of a team in the top 10 trading their future 1st is VERY VERY slim - GMs are not stupid, as much as we like to pretend they are. They just sometimes overthink or get desperate. If you find a GM who does either, you take advantage of him and you make him pay for it by mortgaging his replacement's future. MIAMI WILL ABSOLUTELY DO THIS IF IT PRESENTS ITSELF.

Think of it this way - You have a team that's already in the top 10, showing signs of disfunction already obviously, and now they are shooting up the boards to get their QB. They are likely not going to be great. Take Philly, for example. They are the best case scenario for a team who makes that mega trade (Carson Wentz in 2016) and they ended up with PICK 14.

So you're talking about trading Devanta Smith or Micah Parsons PLUS a pick that's almost guaranteed to be top 16, with a very good chance of it being top 10... for whatever player you'd take at 3.

Oh and this scenario is simplified but obviously throw in a 2021 3rd rounder in there as well. It's a tiny bit below on the draft value chart (we should get closer to a bottom 2nd) but frankly, I'm okay with keep expectations at simply the future 1st rounder. When you also figure you're getting an additional 3rd rounder, you're just starting to almost get madden levels of cheating. But this is reality, and Grier is simply a magician.

I just watched a few videos of Sewell in action. I gotta say....Heā€™s really impressive. He just erases defenders from a play. I might be good with just sitting at 3 and taking him.

if you take sewell do you put jackson at guard or sewell?

We had a good year but we arenā€™t nearly good enough, particularly at playmaking positions, including

ā€” an electric receiver
ā€” a slot receiver
ā€” a running back with power who can break tackles and take a workload
ā€” a pass rushing edge rusher who the offense must account for
ā€” a 3 down inside linebacker with agility and speed
ā€” a ball hawking free safety.

What do those six needs have in common? PLAYMAKING. Thatā€™s not to say I wouldnā€™t take another OL or run stiffing DT. But what will move the needle is guys who exert themselves physically.
you left an elite tackle

You can't compare the two.

That was a terribly weak draft in 2008 and especially in how the prospects were rated. When we took Jake Long his weaknesses were obvious. Everyone knew he was a running tackle and we took him anyway...Parcells wanted another quick turn-around in his legacy. Despite his weakness, Long turned out to be a pro bowl LT.

He turned out to be injury prone and his career ended very quickly...that could happen to any player at any position. If he had not been injury prone then I think he would have been viewed as another Richmond Webb...I think he'd have had a long and very successful career with us. He'd surely be the 2nd best player from that draft. Only Matt Ryan had an exceptional career out of the lot.

Sewell is on another level though. If Trevor Lawrence wasn't in this draft I think he would be in talks of going #1...he's that good.

And consider this...not only is the kid THAT good...but he will be playing against INFERIOR competition on the right side...think about just how much he would dominate.
he will be in the left side, but the same logic applies to Jackson, he will be better because he will play against inferior competition

If Sewell is as good or better than Quinton Nelson, then I want him at 3.
Receiver wise, I'd like to get someone like DK Metcalf, fast and powerful.

Thanks for your positive spin.
No to Sewell at 3. And here is why.
Miami absolutely MUST, if possible, trade down from 3 and add a first next year(2022). Not too far, but enough to get a first in 2022. Miami still wants to pick top 8 or 9.
If Lawrence and Wilson/Fields go 1 and 2, you assume pick three goes to a team trading for Wilson/Fields who didn't go at two.
Then, you have left: Pitts, D Smith, J Waddle, J Chase, Still Sewell, and Parsons. That gets you one of the top guys, and you can get one of them at 9.
(I think Pitts has HOF potential. I wouldn't disregard taking him. WR's can be had all through the draft)
You do that trade down, add that 1 for 2022. That allows you to keep building with studs through the draft, cheap help, but it also gives you ammo/protects you in the 2022 draft in case you need to replace Tua. By then, the team will be more built up, you can trade both 1's and your 2 to move around for a QB.
If Tua shows great improvement in 2021, then worst case, you have two #1 picks in 2022. And more than likely, trading down with one of those teams picking 4-9, that pick could be very high in 2022.
Whatever Miami does, they shouldn't pick at 3.
Just my humble opinion.

100% agree, there is no shortage of talent that we can get just as easy get a few places back, then we can at 3.

Big question though, what team in the top 6 or 7 would be willing to give their 1st next year, knowing they will probably still need it.

I would feel better if the Bills game wasn't such a **** show and If Tua gave us so sort of confidence in him going forward, but he doesn't even seem confident in himself. Without a legit QB, we will not make a deep playoff run. Keeping a great defense together is very tough to do, ask the 49ers.
He needs more offensive talent. If he stinks next year? He can go.

100% agree, there is no shortage of talent that we can get just as easy get a few places back, then we can at 3.

Big question though, what team in the top 6 or 7 would be willing to give their 1st next year, knowing they will probably still need it.
That's the big question. Will some one pony up that first?
We may not end up getting one, but hopefully(I am looking at you, Carolina) will want to jump enough spots, know their young coach needs that QB, and just go for it. Cincinnati isn't trading up with us, I don't think. They are so old fashioned. I can't remember them trading up ever(Though I am sure it's just my memory that is faulty)
OK, just googled it. DO NOT expect the Bengals to trade up. Holy cow.

The ultimate would be trading down to 4 and still taking Sewell, trading up from 18 to 10 to take Smith or Chase.

I want Jamar Chase at #5 after trading with Cincinnati.

I use pick acquired from Cincinnati packaged with 18 to get Kyle Pitts

I use my two 2nds to move up for Etienne or Najaee

There you get WR1, TE1, RB1
Bengals never trade up

Back
Top Bottom